Systematic review of the proportion of pregnancy-related deaths attributed to HIV in population-based studies in sub-Saharan Africa
Article first published online: 9 NOV 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 1, pages 83–97, January 2014
How to Cite
Grollman, C. and Ronsmans, C. (2014), Systematic review of the proportion of pregnancy-related deaths attributed to HIV in population-based studies in sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 83–97. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12226
- Issue published online: 17 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 9 NOV 2013
- Child Health Epidemiology Reference Group (CHERG)
- World Health Organization
- 2003) Maternal mortality in northern Nigeria: a population-based study. European Journal of Obstetrics, Gynecology and Reproductive Biology 109, 153–159. , , & (
- 2011) Distribution of causes of maternal mortality among different socio-demographic groups in Ghana; a descriptive study. BMC Public Health 11, 159. , , & (
- 2003) Verbal autopsy to measure maternal mortality in rural Senegal. [French]. Journal de Gynecologie Obstetrique et Biologie de la Reproduction 32, 728–735. , & (
- 2008) The epidemiology of pregnancy outcomes in rural Burkina Faso. Tropical Medicine and International Health 13(Suppl 1), 31–43. , , , & (
- 2009) Effect of human immunodeficiency virus treatment on maternal mortality at a tertiary center in South Africa: a 5-year audit. Obstetrics and Gynecology 114, 292–299. , & (
- 2012) Maternal mortality ratio - trends in the vital registration data. South African Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 18, 38–42. & (
- 2006) Refining a probabilistic model for interpreting verbal autopsy data. Scandinavian Journal of Public Health 34, 26–31. , , et al. (
- 2013) HIV and risk of direct obstetric complications: a systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS ONE 8, e74848. & (
- 2013) The contribution of HIV to pregnancy-related mortality: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 27, 1631–1639. & (
- 2007) Maternal deaths in rural Gambia. Global Public Health 2, 359–372. , & (
- Directorate of Maternal and Child Health Care, Ministry of Health and Population (2001) Egypt National Maternal Mortality Study 2000. Directorate of Maternal and Child Health Care, Ministry of Health and Population, Egypt [last accessed 20th September 2013]; Available from: http://www.mofa.go.jp/policy/oda/category/health/sympo0306/study.pdf.
- 2003) Seasonal variation in direct obstetric mortality in rural Senegal: role of malaria? American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 68, 503–504. , & (
- 2007) Revealing the burden of maternal mortality: a probabilistic model for determining pregnancy-related causes of death from verbal autopsies. Population Health Metrics 5, 1. , , et al. (
- 1998) The effect of pregnancy on survival in women infected with HIV: A systematic review of the literature and meta-analysis. British Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology 105, 827–835. & (
- 2013) Protective Effect of Pregnancy in Rural South Africa: Questioning the Concept of “Indirect Cause” of Maternal Death. PLoS ONE 8, 5. , , , & (
- 2003) Measuring and Estimating Maternal Mortality in the Era of HIV/AIDS. Un/Pop/Mort/2003/8. United Nations Department of Economic and Social Affairs, Population Division, New York. & (
- 2010) Maternal mortality for 181 countries, 1980-2008: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 5. Lancet 375, 1609–1623. , , et al. (
- 2004) Levels and causes of adult mortality in rural South Africa: the impact of AIDS. AIDS 18, 663–671. , & (
- 2006) Assessing heterogeneity in meta-analysis: Q statistic or I2 index? Psychological Methods 11, 193–206. , , & (
- 2012) A study of refugee maternal mortality in 10 countries, 2008-2010. International Perspectives on Sexual and Reproductive Health 38, 205–213. , , & (
- 2011) Maternal and neonatal survival and mortality in the Upper West Region of Ghana. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 113, 208–210. , & (
- 2006) WHO analysis of causes of maternal death: a systematic review. Lancet 367, 1066–1074. , , , & (
- 1997) Impact of pregnancy on maternal AIDS. Journal of Reproductive Medicine 42, 429–434. , & (
- 2011) Maternal mortality in Mozambique: findings on the timing of death and the role of HIV/AIDS. Paper prepared for the annual meeting of the Population Association of America, Washington DC, March 31-April 2, 2011. [Last accessed 5th November 2012] Available from: http://paa2011.princeton.edu/download.aspx?submissionId=111467 , & (
- 2012) A critical analysis of maternal morbidity and mortality in Liberia, West Africa. Midwifery 28, 67–72. & (
- 2011) Performance of physician-certified verbal autopsies: multisite validation study using clinical diagnostic gold standards. Population Health Metrics 9, 32. , , , , & (
- 2005) Maternal health and HIV. Reproductive Health Matters 13, 129–135. (
- 2008) An autopsy study of maternal mortality in Mozambique: the contribution of infectious diseases. PLoS Medicine 5, e44. , , , & (
- 2008) Maternal mortality decline in the Kassena-Nankana district of northern Ghana. Maternal and Child Health Journal 12, 577–585. , , & (
- 2011) Maternal mortality in Kassala State - Eastern Sudan: community-based study using reproductive age mortality survey (RAMOS). BMC Pregnancy and Childbirth 11, 102. , , , & (
- 2003) Community-based monitoring of safe motherhood in the United Republic of Tanzania. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 81, 87–94. , , , & (
- 2007) Maternal and perinatal mortality study. Available from: http://www.unicef.org/zimbabwe/ZMPMS_report.pdf. , , & (
- 2011) Simplified Symptom Pattern Method for verbal autopsy analysis: multisite validation study using clinical diagnostic gold standards. Population Health Metrics 9, 30. , , , , & (
- NCCEMD (2012) Saving Mothers 2008–2010: Fifth report on the confidential enquiries into maternal deaths in South Africa. Available from: http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/reports/2012/Report_on_Confidential_Enquiries_into_Maternal_Deaths_in_South_Africa.pdf.
- R Core Team (2013). R: A Language and Environment for Statistical Computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna.
- 2012) Understanding methods for estimating HIV-associated maternal mortality. Journal of Pregnancy 2012, 958262. , , , & (
- 2008) Undue reliance on I(2) in assessing heterogeneity may mislead. BMC Medical Research Methodology 8, 79. , , & (
- 1994) The limitations of verbal autopsy in a malaria-endemic region. Annals of Tropical Paediatrics 14, 31–36. , , & (
- WHO (2010) Trends in maternal mortality: 1990 to 2008. Estimates developed by WHO, UNICEF, UNFPA and The World Bank. Available from: http://apps.who.int/iris/handle/10665/44423.
- 2007) Effect of pregnancy on HIV disease progression and survival among women in rural Uganda. Tropical Medicine and International Health 12, 920–928. , , , & (
- WHO (2007) WHO Case Definitions of HIV for Surveillance and Revised Clinical Staging and Immunological Classification of HIV-Related Disease in Adults and Children. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2012a) Verbal Autopsy Standards: 2012 WHO Verbal Autopsy lnstrument. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2012b) The WHO application of ICD-10 to deaths 5 during pregnancy, childbirth and the puerperium: ICD-MM. Issah K, Nang-Beifubah A & Opoku CF (2011) Maternal and neonatal survival and mortality in the Upper West Region of Ghana. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 113, 208–210.
- 2013) Effect of HIV infection on pregnancy-related mortality in sub-Saharan Africa: secondary analyses of pooled community-based data from the network for Analysing Longitudinal Population-based HIV/AIDS data on Africa (ALPHA). Lancet 381, 1763–1771. , , et al. (
- 2009) Reproductive age mortality survey (RAMOS) in Accra, Ghana. Reproductive Health 6, 1. , , , , & (
- 2009) Maternal mortality in the informal settlements of Nairobi city: What do we know? Reproductive Health 6, 6. , , , & (