Chagas disease in Australia and New Zealand: risks and needs for public health interventions
Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2013
© 2013 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 212–218, February 2014
How to Cite
Jackson, Y., Pinto, A. and Pett, S. (2014), Chagas disease in Australia and New Zealand: risks and needs for public health interventions. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 212–218. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12235
- Issue online: 20 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 DEC 2013
- Australian Bureau of Statistics (2013) Migration, Australia 2011. http://www.abs.gov.au/AUSSTATS/abs@.nsf/DetailsPage/3412.02010-11?OpenDocument (accessed 20 July 2013).
- Australian Red Cross Blood Service (2010) Improving safety at the Blood Service. http://www.donateblood.com.au/media-centre/news/national/improving-safety-at-the-blood-service (accessed 20 July 2013).
- 2011). Chagas disease in European countries: the challenge of a surveillance system. Euro Surveillance, 16:pii=19968. , , et al. (
- 2008) Chagas disease and the US blood supply. Current Opinion in Infectious Diseases 21, 476–482. , , , & (
- 2011) Trypanosoma cruzi and Chagas' Disease in the United States. Clinical Microbiology Reviews 24, 655–681. , , & (
- 2011) Congenital Chagas disease: recommendations for diagnosis, treatment and control of newborns, siblings and pregnant women. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 5, e1250. , , et al. (
- 2009) Chagas' disease: lessons from routine donation testing. Transfusion Medicine (Oxford, England) 19, 16–23. (
- 2011) Screening and treatment of chagas disease in organ transplant recipients in the United States: recommendations from the chagas in transplant working group. American Journal of Transplantation 11, 672–680. , , et al. (
- Department of Agriculture Fisheries and Forestry (Australia) (2013) National list of notifiable animal diseases. http://www.daff.gov.au/animal-plant-health/pests-diseases-weeds/animal/notifiable (accessed 29 May 2013).
- 2011) Surveillance of Chagas disease in pregnant women in Madrid, Spain, from 2008 to 2010. Euro Surveillance, 16, pii=19974. , , et al. (
- 2011) Chagas disease in Switzerland: history and challenges. Euro Surveillance 16, 19963. & (
- 2009) [Management of Chagas disease in Europe. Experiences and challenges in Spain, Switzerland and Italy]. Bulletin de la Societe de Pathologie Exotique, 102, 326–329. , , , , & (
- 2010) Prevalence, clinical staging and risk for blood-borne transmission of Chagas disease among Latin American migrants in Geneva, Switzerland. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 4, e592. , , et al. (
- 2013) Global economic burden of Chagas disease: a computational simulation model. Lancet Infectious Diseases 13, 342–348. , , & (
- 2008) Trypanosoma cruzi parasitemia in US blood donors with serologic evidence of infection. Journal of Infectious Diseases 198, 609–613. , , & (
- 1974) Confirmation of the presence of Triatominae (Hemiptera: Reduviidae) in Australia, with notes on Indo-Pacific species. Australian Journal of Entomology 13, 89–94. (
- 2009) Clinical profile of Trypanosoma cruzi infection in a non-endemic setting: immigration and Chagas disease in Barcelona (Spain). Acta Tropica, 111, 51–55. , , et al. (
- 2013) Risk factors and primary prevention of congenital Chagas disease in a nonendemic country. Clinical Infectious Diseases 56, 496–502. , , , , & (
- 2011) Targeted screening and health education for Chagas disease tailored to at-risk migrants in Spain 2007 to 2010. Euro Surveillance 16, pii=19973. , , et al. (
- 2012) Chagas disease in Spain: need for further public health measures. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 6, e1962. , , & (
- New Zealand Statistics (2013) http://www.stats.govt.nz/Census/2006CensusHomePage/classification-counts-tables/about-people/birthplace.aspx (accessed 20 July 2013).
- 2013) Chagas disease and breast-feeding. Emerging Infectious Diseases 19, 1561–1566. & (
- 2011) Recommendations for management of Chagas disease in organ and hematopoietic tissue transplantation programs in nonendemic areas. Transplantation Reviews (Orlando) 25, 91–101. , , et al. (
- 2010) Chagas disease. Lancet 375, 1388–1402. , & (
- 2013) Screening of Chagas disease in migrants from Latin America in Europe. Paper presented at the 8th European Congress on Tropical Medicine and Tropical Health, Copenhagen. , & (
- 2009) Chagas disease: a Latin American health problem becoming a world health problem. Acta Tropica 115, 14–21. & (
- 2011) Economic evaluation of Chagas disease screening of pregnant Latin American women and of their infants in a non endemic area. Acta Tropica 118, 110–117. , , et al. (
- 2011) Chagas cardiomyopathy with left ventricular apical aneurysm: first case report in Australia. Internal Medicine Journal 41, 846–848. , , , , & (
- 2010) Survey of obstetrician-gynecologists in the United States about Chagas disease. American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 83, 891–895. , , , & (
- 2006) Long-term cardiac outcomes of treating chronic Chagas disease with benznidazole versus no treatment: a nonrandomized trial. Annals of Internal Medicine 144, 724–734. , , et al. (
- WHO (2002) Control of Chagas Disease. World Health Organ Tech Rep Ser, (2002/07/03 ed., Vol. 905, pp. i-vi, 1-109, back cover). WHO, Brasilia (Brazil).
- WHO (2009) Control and Prevention of Chagas Disease in Europe. Report of a WHO Informal Consultation (jointly organized by WHO headquarters and the WHO Regional Office for Europe) Geneva, Switzerland, 17–18 December 2009. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2010a) Working to Overcome the Global Impact of Neglected Tropical Diseases: First WHO Report on Neglected Tropical Diseases. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2010b) Chagas disease in Europe. http://www.who.int/neglected_diseases/integrated_media_chagas_statement/en/index.html (accessed 20 July 2013).
- WHO (2011) Informal Consultation on Chagas Disease in the Western Pacific Region. WHO Western Pacific Region, Manilla.
- World Tourism Organisation (2013) UNWTO Tourisms Highlights 2013. http://dtxtq4w60xqpw.cloudfront.net/sites/all/files/pdf/unwto_highlights13_en_lr.pdf (accessed 20 July 2013).
- 2013) The epidemiological relevance of family study in chagas disease. PLoS Neglected Tropical Diseases 7, e1959. , , et al. (