Strengthening national health laboratories in sub-Saharan Africa: a decade of remarkable progress
Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2014
Published 2014. This article is a U.S. Government work and is in the public domain in the U.S.A.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 450–458, April 2014
How to Cite
Alemnji, G. A., Zeh, C., Yao, K. and Fonjungo, P. N. (2014), Strengthening national health laboratories in sub-Saharan Africa: a decade of remarkable progress. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 450–458. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12269
- Issue online: 31 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 10 FEB 2014
- President's Emergency Plan for AIDS Relief (PEPFAR)
- U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
- 2012) Turning the corner on laboratory systems and quality of laboratory testing in Africa. ASLM. http//www.aslm2012.org/ (accessed 4 April 2012). (
- 2010) Experiences in establishing a PEPFAR-supported laboratory quality system in Nigeria. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 134, 541–549. , , et al. (
- African Journal of Laboratory Medicine (AJLM) (2012) http://www.ajlmonline.org. (accessed 30 May 2013).
- African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) (2012a) ASLM-Botswana becomes first local branch of ASLM at symposium in Gaborone http://aslm.org/phocadownload/ASLM-BotswanaLaunched.pdf (accessed 24 June 2013).
- African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) (2012b) African Society for Laboratory Medicine to hold its first international conference in Cape Town, South Africa December 1–7, 2012A http://www.aslm2012.org (accessed 7 January 2013).
- African Society for Laboratory Medicine (ASLM) Launched (2011). Addis Ababa, Ethiopia, March 14–16. 2011. http://www.afslm.org (accessed 6 January 2013).
- 2011) HIV testing in developing countries: what is required? Indian Journal of Medical Research 134, 779–786. , & (
- 2012) Strengthening national laboratory health systems in the Caribbean region. Global Public Health 7, 648–660. , , et al. (
- 2004) Malaria misdiagnosis: effects on the poor and vulnerable. Lancet 364, 1896–1898. , , & (
- 2009) health system strengthening priority-setting of DRAFT guidance for PEPFAR partnership frameworks and partnership framework implementation plans, version 1, March 11, 2009 http://www.pepfar.gov/guidance/framework/120741.htm (accessed 21 June 2013). (
- 2012) Experience of quality management system in a clinical laboratory in Nigeria. 10.4102/ajlm.v1i1.18 (accessed 20 August 2013). , , et al. (
- 2004) Improving the accuracy of malaria-related laboratory tests in Ghana. Malar J 4, 38. , & (
- 2009) Laboratory challenges in the scaling up of HIV, TB, and malaria programs: the interaction of health and laboratory systems, clinical research, and service delivery. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 131, 849–851. , & (
- 2012) The role of public health institutions in global health system strengthening efforts: the US CDC's perspective. PLoS Med 9, e1001199. , , , & (
- 2012) Laboratory testing improves diagnosis and treatment outcomes in primary health care facilities. African Journal of Laboratory Medicine 1, 29–34. , , , , & (
- 2009) Health workforce attrition in the public sector in Kenya: a look at the reasons. Human Resources for Health 7, 1478–4491. , & (
- 2009) Achieving the health millennium development goals for South Africa: challenges and priorities. Lancet 374, 1023–1031. , , et al. (
- 2007) Medicolegal liability in laboratory medicine. Seminars in Diagnostic Pathology 24, 98–107. , & (
- 2013) The good, the bad, and the unknown: quality of clinical laboratories in kampala, Uganda. PLoS ONE 8, e64661. , , , , & (
- 2012) Laboratory equipment maintenance: a critical bottleneck for strengthening health systems in sub-Saharan Africa? Journal of Public Health Policy 33, 34–45. , , et al. (
- 2010) The World Health Organization African region laboratory accreditation process: improving the quality of laboratory systems in the African region. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 134, 393–400. , , et al. (
- 2010) Laboratory malaria diagnostic capacity in health facilities in five administrative zones of Oromia Regional State, Ethiopia. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 1449–1457. , , et al. (
- 2011) Low quality of routine microscopy for malaria at different levels of the health system in Dar es Salaam. Malar J, 10, 332. , , , & (
- 2008) United States Global Leadership Against HIV/AIDS, Tuberculosis and Malaria Reauthorization Act of 2008. Public Law 110–293, 122 Stat. 2917 (July 30, 2008), §4 http://frwebgate.access.gpo.gov/cgi-bin/getdoc.cgi?dbname=110_cong_public_laws&docid=f:publ293.pdf (accessed 20 June 2013). & (
- 2012) Impact of mentorship on WHO-AFRO strengthening laboratory quality improvement process toward accreditation (SLIPTA). African Journal of Laboratory Medicine 1, 61–68. , , , & (
- 2012) Strengthening laboratory management toward accreditation: the Lesotho experience. African Journal of Laboratory Medicine 1, 54–60. , , , , & (
- 2009) Critical role of developing national strategic plans as a guide to strengthen laboratory health systems in resource-poor settings. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 131, 852–857. , , et al. (
- 2010) Laboratory systems and services are critical in global health: time to end the neglect? American Journal of Clinical Pathology 134, 368–373. , , et al. (
- 2009) African disease labs to get health check. Rating system for labs could improve diagnosis and lift standards http://www.nature.com/news/2009/090727/full/news.2009.735.html (accessed 20 August 2013). (
- 2010) Strengthening laboratory systems in resource-limited settings. American Journal of Clinical Pathology, 134, 374–380. , , et al. (
- 2010) Country leadership and policy are critical factors for implementing laboratory accreditation in developing countries: a study on Uganda. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 134, 381–387. , , , & (
- 2012) Global health: integrating national laboratory health systems and services in resource-limited settings. African Journal of Laboratory Medicine 1, 49–53. , , et al. (
- PEPFAR-BD (2007) New public-private partnership to strengthen laboratory systems. http://www.bd.com/globalhealth/initiative/pdfs/BDPEPFARFACTSHEETFINAL.pdf (accessed 24 June 2013).
- PEPFAR-BD (2012) BD and PEPFAR launch labs for life to strengthen laboratories in regions heavily burdened by disease. http://www.bd.com/contentmanager/b_article.asp?Item_ID=26813&ContentType_ID=1&BusinessCode=20001&d=BD+Worldwide&s=&dTitle=&dc=&dcTitle= (accessed 24 June 2013).
- 2006) Laboratory medicine in Africa: a barrier to effective health care. Clinical Infectious Diseases 42, 377–382. , , , & (
- 2006) Laboratory use in Ghana: physician perception and practice. 75, 526–531. , , et al. (
- Strengthening Laboratory Management Towards Accreditation (SLMTA) Symposium (2012) African Society for Laboratory Medicine to hold its first international conference in Cape Town, South Africa December 1–7, 2012 http://www.aslm2012.org (accessed 7 January 2013).
- 2009) The need for standardization in laboratory networks. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 131, 867–874. , , , , & (
- 2009) New plan seeks to accelerate African diagnostic capacity. Nature Medicine, 15, 978. (
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2006a) The African regional health report: the health of the people. http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/releases/2006/pr68/en/index.html (accessed 22 June 2013).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2006b) Working together for health. Geneva: World Health Organization http://www.who.int/whr/2006/en/ (accessed 16 May 2013).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2008a) The Maputo declaration on strengthening of laboratory systems http://www.who.int/diagnostics_laboratory/Maputo-Declaration_2008.pdf (accessed 21 June 2013).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2008b) Joint WHO – CDC conference on health laboratory quality systems http://www.who.int/ihr/lyon/report20080409.pdf (accessed June 21, 2013).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2008c) Strengthening public health laboratories http://www.afro.who.int/en/media-centre/pressreleases/item/679-who-report-calls-for-strengthening-public-health-laboratories.html (accessed 21 June 2013).
- World Health Organization (WHO) (2009) Kigali host the launch of a program to accelerate laboratory service capacity building towards accreditation in the african region. http://www.who.int/hiv/amds/diagnostics/amds_kigali_pr_lab.pdf (accessed 21 June 2013).
- 2010) Improving quality management systems of laboratories in developing countries. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 134, 401–409. , , et al. (
- 2010) Field experience in implementing ISO 15189 in Kisumu, Kenya. American Journal of Clinical Pathology 134, 410–418. , , et al. (