Evidence-based training and mentorship combined with enhanced outcomes surveillance to address the leading causes of neonatal mortality at the district hospital level in Ghana
Version of Record online: 5 FEB 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 417–426, April 2014
How to Cite
Brantuo, M. N. A., Cristofalo, E., Meheš, M. M., Ameh, J., Brako, N. O., Boahene, F., Adjei, S. B., Opoku, E., Banda, H., Wang, Y. T., Forgor, A. A., Punguire, D., Brightson, K., Sottie, C., Owusu-Agyei, S., Williams, J. E., Sulemana, A., Oduro, A. R., Gyampong, M., Sarpong, D., Andrews, E., Gyansa-Lutterodt, M., Hodgson, A., Bannerman, C. and Abdullah, F. (2014), Evidence-based training and mentorship combined with enhanced outcomes surveillance to address the leading causes of neonatal mortality at the district hospital level in Ghana. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 417–426. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12270
- Issue online: 31 MAR 2014
- Version of Record online: 5 FEB 2014
- Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation
- 2008) Public social policy development and implementation: a case study of the Ghana National Health Insurance scheme. Health Policy and Planning 23, 150–160. & (
- 2011) Using simulation to enhance the acquisition and retention of clinical skills in neonatology. Seminars in Perinatology 35, 59–67. & (
- 2006) Trend and causes of neonatal mortality in the Kassena-Nankana district of northern Ghana, 1995–2002. Tropical Medicine and International Health 11, 532–539. , , et al. (
- 2009) Pediatric emergency and critical care in low-income countries. Pediatric Anesthesia 19, 23–27. (
- 2013) Addressing the challenge of neonatal mortality. Tropical Medicine and International Health 18, 303–312. & (
- 2010) Educational impact of a hospital-based neonatal resuscitation program in Ghana. Resuscitation 81, 1180–1182. , , et al. (
- 2005) Evidence-based, cost effective interventions: how many newborn babies can we save? The Lancet 365, 977–988. , , et al. (
- 2012) Stillbirths and early neonatal mortality in rural Northern Ghana. Tropical Medicine and International Health 17, 272–282. , , et al. (
- 2009) Continuing education meetings and workshops: effects on professional practice and health care outcomes. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 2, CD003030. , , et al. (
- Ghana Health Service (2010) The Health Sector in Ghana. Facts and Figures. Accessed on-line at: http://www.moh-ghana.org/UploadFiles/Publications/GHS%20Facts%20and%20Figures%202010_22APR2012.pdf
- Ghana Health Service (2011) 2011 Annual Report. Accessed on-line at: http://www.ghanahealthservice.org/includes/upload/publications/GHS%202011%20Annual%20Report%20Final%2014-8-12.pdf
- Ghana Health Service Council (2012) Ghana Hospitals: Brong Ahafo, North Kintampo & South Kintampo. Ghana Health Service. http://ghanahospitals.org/aboutus/
- Ghana Health Service & World Health Organization (2010) Assessment of the Quality of Care for Children in Hospitals. A Generic Assessment Tool Adapted for Use in Ghana. Ghana Health Service, Accra.
- Ghana Statistical Service (2008) Ghana in Figures. Accessed on-line at: http://www.statsghana.gov.gh/docfiles/gh_figures_2008.pdf
- Ghana Statistical Service (GSS), Ghana Health Service (GHS), and ICF Macro (2009) Ghana Demographic and Health Survey 2008. GSS, GHS, and ICF Macro, Accra, Ghana.
- Ghana Statistical Service (GSS), Noguchi Memorial Institute for Medical Research (NMIMR), and ORC Macro (2004) Ghana Demographic and Health Survey 2003. GSS, NMIMR, and ORC Macro, Calverton, MD, USA.
- 2005) The Stall in Mortality Decline in Ghana: Further Analysis of Demographic and Health Surveys Data. ORC Macro, Calverton, MD, USA. , & (
- 2010) NEWHINTS cluster randomised trial to evaluate the impact on neonatal mortality in rural Ghana of routine home visits to provide a package of essential newborn care interventions in the third trimester of pregnancy and the first week of life: trial protocol. Trials 11, 58–69. , , et al. (
- 2013) Effect of the Newhints home-visits intervention on neonatal mortality rate and care practices in Ghana: a cluster randomised controlled trial. The Lancet 381, 2184–2192. , , et al. (
- 2006) Newborn survival. In: Disease Control Priorities in Developing Countries, 2nd edn (eds DT Jamison, JG Breman, AR Measham, et al.) World Bank, Washington, DC. Chapter 27. Available from: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/books/NBK11775/ , , et al. (
- 2010) 3.6 million neonatal deaths—what is progressing and what is not? Seminars in Perinatology 34, 371–386. , , & (
- 2012) Newborn survival: a multicountry analysis of a decade of change. Health Policy and Planning 27 (Suppl. 3), iii6–iii28. , , et al. (
- 2011) Neonatal resuscitation and immediate newborn assessment and stimulation for the prevention of neonatal deaths: a systematic review, meta-analysis and Delphi estimation of mortality effect. BMC Public Health 11 (Suppl. 3), S12. , , et al. (
- 2012) Global, regional and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000. The Lancet 379, 2151–2161. , , et al. (
- Ministry of Health, Government of Ghana, and United Nations Country Team in the Republic of Ghana (2011) MDG Acceleration Framework and Country Action Plan; Maternal Health.
- National Health Insurance Authority (2011) National Health Insurance Scheme: Annual Report 2011. Accessed on-line at: http://www.nhis.gov.gh/files/annualreport2011.pdf
- 2011) Neonatal mortality levels for 193 countries in 2009 with trends since 1990: a systematic analysis of progress, projections, and priorities. PLoS Medicine 8, e1001080. , , et al. (
- 2005) Stagnation of Ghana's under-5 mortality rate. The Lancet 365, 1846. , & (
- Project Fives Alive! Team (2011) Improvement Collaborative Report: August 1 2010 to December 31 2010.
- 2010) Neonatal, postneonatal, childhood, and under-5 mortality for 187 countries, 1970-2010: a systematic analysis of progress towards Millennium Development Goal 4. The Lancet 375, 1988–2008. , , et al. (
- 2012) Helping babies breathe: global neonatal resuscitation program development and formative educational evaluation. Resuscitation 83, 90–96. , , et al. (
- UNICEF (2012) Childinfo – Monitoring the Situation of Children and Women. Accessed online at: www.childinfo.org
- WHO (2003) Kangaroo Mother Care: A Practical Guide. WHO Department of Reproductive Health and Research, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO (2005) Pocket Book of Hospital Care for the Management of Common Illness with Limited Resources. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO (2006) Assessment of the Quality of Care for Children in Hospitals: A Generic Assessment Tool. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO (2013) World Health Statistics 2013. Accessed on-line at: http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/81965/1/9789241564588_eng.pdf
- WHO & UNICEF (2008) Integrated Management of Childhood Illnesses. WHO Department of Child and Adolescent Health and Development, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 2011) Levels & Trends in Child Mortality: Report, 2011. Estimates Developed by the UN Inter-Agency Group for Child Mortality Estimation, 35th edn. United Nations Children's Fund, New York, pp. 1–24. http://www.childinfo.org/files/Child_Mortality_Report_2011.pdf , & (