Changing epidemiology of maternal mortality in rural India: time to reset strategies for MDG-5
Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 568–575, May 2014
How to Cite
Shah, P., Shah, S., Kutty, R. V. and Modi, D. (2014), Changing epidemiology of maternal mortality in rural India: time to reset strategies for MDG-5. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 568–575. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12282
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 18 FEB 2014
- Stedman's Medical Dictionary (28th edn) (2005) Lippincott Williams & Wilkins, Philadelphia.
- 2003) Improving Birth Outcomes: Meeting the Challenges in the Developing World. National Academy of Sciences and Institute of Medicine, Washington, DC. , , et al. (
- 2008) Maternal mortality in India: a 20-year study from a large referral medical college hospital, West Bengal. Journal of Obstetrics and Gynaecology Research 34, 499–503. PMID: 18937703. , , et al. (
- 2006) Strategies for reducing maternal mortality: getting on with what works. Lancet 368, 1284–1299. PMID: 17027735. & (
- 2010) What you count is what you target: the implications of maternal death classification for tracking progress towards reducing maternal mortality in developing countries. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 88, 147–153. PMID: 20428372. , & (
- 2006) Potentials and limitations of verbal autopsies. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 84, 164–165. & (
- Government of Gujarat (2010) Socio-economic review, Gujarat state, 2007–08. http://www.gujaratindia.com/pdf/ser0708.pdf, accessed October 29, 2010.
- Government of Gujarat (2012) State profile. http://www.gujaratindia.com/state-profile/demography.htm, accessed October 10, 2012.
- Institute of research in medical statistics, Indian council of Medical research (2003) Estimates of maternal mortality ratio in India and its states: A pilot study, 2003 http://www.icmr.nic.in/final/Final%20Pilot%20Report.pdf, accessed on 20 March 2013.
- 2009) Trend and causes of maternal mortality among women delivering in S. N. Medical College Hospital, Agra. Indian Journal of Public Health 53, 47–48. PMID: 19806831. , , et al. (
- 2010) Maternal mortality trends in India: has policy of promoting institutional delivery paid off? Indian Journal of Medical Research 132, 458–459. PMID: 20966527. , & (
- 2013) Reducing neonatal mortality in Jhagadia block, Gujarat: we need to go beyond promoting hospital deliveries. Journal of Tropical Pediatrics 59, 49–53. PMID: 22964552. , , et al. (
- 2009) Saving mothers and newborns through an innovative partnership with private sector obstetricians: Chiranjeevi scheme of Gujarat, India. International Journal of Gynaecology and Obstetrics 107, 271–276. PMID: 19846090. , , , & (
- Ministry of Health & Family Welfare (2005) Janani Suraksha Yojana: Guidelines for Implementation. Government of India, New Delhi, India.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (2010) District Level Health and Facility Survey-3, 2007–08. http://www.gujhealth.gov.in/Portal/Tender/1/3_dlhs2.pdf, accessed on 10 October, 2012.
- Ministry of Health and Family Welfare (2012) Gujarat profile. http://mohfw.nic.in/NRHM/State%20Files/gujarat.htm, accessed on 10 October, 2012.
- Ministry of statistics and programme implementation, Government of India (2005) Millennium Development Goals: India country report, 2005. http://www.unicef.org/india/ssd04_2005_final.pdf, accessed on 20 March 2013.
- National Rural Health Mission (2013) ASHA. Accredited Social Health Activist. http://nrhm.gov.in/communitisation/asha/about-asha.html, accessed 11 September 2013.
- Office of Registrar General (2008) Maternal mortality in India: 1997–2003. Trends, causes, and risk factors. http://webdev.silvertouch.com/GujHealth/pdf/maternal_mortality_in_india_1997-2003.pdf, accessed on 20 March 2013.
- Office of Registrar General (2012) Maternal and child mortality and total fertility rates, 2011. http://censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/SRS_Bulletins/MMR_release_070711.pdf, accessed 10 October, 2012.
- R Core Team (2012) R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria.
- 2009) Addressing the ‘third delay’ in maternal mortality: need for reform. Indian Journal of Medical Ethics 6, 211–212. PMID: 19839550. (
- 2006) Maternal mortality: who, when, where, and why. Lancet 368, 1189–1200. PMID: 17011946. , (
- Sample registration survey, Office of Registrar General (2012) Special bulletin on maternal mortality in India 2007–2009. Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi. http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/SRS_Bulletins/Final-MMR%20Bulletin-2007-09_070711.pdf.
- Sample registration system, Office of Registrar General (1998) Statistical Report 1998. Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi, India.
- Sample registration system, Office of Registrar General (2008) Statistical Report 2008, Report No. 1. Ministry of Home Affairs, Government of India, New Delhi, India.
- Sample registration system, Office of Registrar General (2010) Executive summary 2010. http://www.censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/srs/Executive_Summary_2010.pdf, accessed on 12 October 2012.
- Sample registration system, Office of Registrar General (2011) Maternal and child mortality and total fertility rates, 2011. http://censusindia.gov.in/vital_statistics/SRS_Bulletins/MMR_release_070711.pdf. Accessed on 20 March 2013.
- SEWA Rural (2011) Report on Family Centered Safe Motherhood and Newborn Care Project. SEWA Rural, Jhagadia, India.
- 2012) An investigation of maternal deaths following public protests in a tribal district of Madhya Pradesh, central India. Reproductive Health Matters 20, 11–20. PMID: 22789078. , & (
- StataCorp (2007) Stata Statistical Software: Release 10. StataCorp LP, College Station, TX.
- UNFPA and University of Aberdeen (2004) Maternal mortality update 2004. Delivering in good hands. http://www.unfpa.org/upload/lib_pub_file/381_filename_mmupdate05_eng21.pdf, accessed on 10 October 2012.
- United Nations (2012) The Millennium Development Goals 2012 Report. http://mdgs.un.org/unsd/mdg/Resources/Static/Products/Progress2012/English2012.pdf, accessed 12 October, 2012.
- WHO (1994) Verbal autopsies for maternal deaths: Report of a WHO workshop, London, 10–13 January 1995. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO (2005) The World Health Report 2005: Make Every Mother and Child Count. WHO, Geneva.
- WHO/UNICEF/UNFPA/World Bank (2010) Trends in maternal mortality: 1990 to 2008. WHO, Geneva. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2010/9789241500265_eng.pdf.