Impact of choice of NRTI in first-line antiretroviral therapy: a cohort analysis of stavudine vs. tenofovir
Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 5, pages 490–498, May 2014
How to Cite
Brennan, A. T., Shearer, K., Maskew, M., Long, L., Sanne, I. and Fox, M. P. (2014), Impact of choice of NRTI in first-line antiretroviral therapy: a cohort analysis of stavudine vs. tenofovir. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 490–498. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12285
- Issue online: 10 APR 2014
- Version of Record online: 3 MAR 2014
- USAID. Grant Number: 674-A-00-09-00018-00
- INROADS. Grant Number: USAID-674-A-12-00029
- National Institute of Allergy and Infectious Diseases (NIAID). Grant Number: K01AI08309
- The MI Procedure. http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/papers/miv802.pdf.
- The MIANALYZE Procedure. http://support.sas.com/rnd/app/papers/mianalyzev802.pdf.
- 2013) Increases in regimen durability associated with the introduction of tenofovir at a large public-sector clinic in Johannesburg, South Africa. Journal of the International AIDS Society 16, 18794. , , et al. (
- 2011) Implementing a tenofovir-based first-line regimen in rural Lesotho: clinical outcomes and toxicities after two years. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 56, e75–e78. , , et al. (
- 2010) Early clinical and programmatic outcomes with tenofovir-based antiretroviral therapy in Zambia. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 54, 63–70. , , et al. (
- Clinton Foundation (2009) Antiretroviral (ARV) Price List. http://www.givewell.org/files/DWDA%202009/Interventions/WJCF-ARVPrices-2009.pdf.
- 2009) Metabolic effects associated to the highly active antiretroviral therapy (HAART) in AIDS patients. Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases 13, 130–136. , , , , & (
- 2013) Male sex and the risk of mortality among individuals enrolled in antiretroviral therapy programs in Africa: a systematic review and meta-analysis. AIDS 27, 417–425. , , et al. (
- 2007) Positive outcomes of HAART at 24 months in HIV-infected patients in Cambodia. AIDS 15, 2293–2301. , , et al. (
- 1999) A proportional hazards model for the sub distribution of a competing risk. JSTOR 94, 496–509. & (
- 2010) Using vital registration data to update mortality among patients lost to follow-up from ART programmes: evidence from the Themba Lethu Clinic, South Africa. Tropical Medicine and International Health 15, 405–413. , , , & (
- 2013) Cohort profile: The Themba Lethu Clinical Cohort, Johannesburg, South Africa. International Journal of Epidemiology 42, 430–439. , , et al. (
- 2004) Efficacy and safety of Tenofovir DF vs stavudine in combination therapy in antiretroviral-naive patients: a 3-year randomized trial. JAMA 292, 191–201. , , et al. (
- 2006) The WHO public-health approach to antiretroviral treatment against HIV in resource-limited settings. Lancet 5, 505–510. , , et al. (
- Global HIV/AIDS response (2011) Epidemic update and health sector progress towards Universal Access. Progress Report 2011.
- 2010) Stavudine- and nevirapine-related drug toxicity while on generic fixed-dose antiretroviral treatment: incidence, timing and risk factors in a three-year cohort in Kigali, Rwanda. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 104, 148–153. , , , , & (
- 1996) Reference ranges and sources of variability of CD4 counts in HIV seronegative women and men. Genitourinary Medicine 72, 27–31. , , et al. (
- 2004) Mitochondrial dysfunction: patient monitoring and toxicity management. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 37 (Suppl. 1), S30–S35. & (
- Medecins Sans Frontieres (2008) Untangling the web of antiretroviral price reductions, 11th edn. [March 2, 2009]. http://www.msfaccess.org.
- 2013) National ART Cost Model South Africa. Health Economics and Epidemiology Research Office, Johannesburg, South Africa. , , , & (
- 2007) Antiretroviral therapy-associated toxicities in the resource-poor world: the challenge of a limited formulary. Journal of Infectious Diseases 196 (Suppl. 3), S449–S456. , , , & (
- National Department of Health (2004) National Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines. Jacana Publishers, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa.
- National Department of Health (2010) The South African Antiretroviral Treatment Guidelines, Republic of South Africa [http://www.doh.gov.za/docs/factsheets/guidelines/art.pdf].
- National Department of Health (2011) Circular on new criteria for initiating adults on ART at CD4 count of 350 cells/μl and below, National Department of Health, Johannesburg, Republic of South Africa.
- 2007) The safety of tenofovir disoproxil fumarate for the treatment of HIV infection in adults: the first 4 years. AIDS 21, 1273–1281. , , et al. (
- 2008) Cost and cost-effectiveness of switching from stavudine to tenofovir in first-line antiretroviral regimens in South Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 48, 334–344. , , & (
- 1987) Multiple imputation for Nonresponse in Surveys. John Wiley & Sons, New York. (
- 2012) Association of tenofovir exposure with kidney disease risk in HIV infection. AIDS 26, 867–875. , , et al. (
- Southern African HIV Clinicians Society (SAHIVSOC). Stock Outs in South Africa – A National Crisis. http://stockouts.org/uploads/3/3/1/1/3311088/stock_outs_a_national_crisis.pdf
- Statistics South Africa (2005) Mortality and causes of death in South Africa, 1997–2003. Findings from death notification. P0309.3.
- 2007) Adverse effects of highly active antiretroviral therapy in developing countries. Clinical Infectious Diseases 45, 1093–1101. , , , , (
- 2002) Mortality trends in South Africa 1985–2000: From apartheid to AIDS. South African Medical Research Council, Cape Town. , , & (
- UNAIDS (2009) The Global Economic Crisis and HIV Prevention and Treatment Programmes: Vulnerabilities and Impact. UNAIDS, Geneva, Switzerland.
- U.S. Food and Drug Administration (2001) Approval letter VIREAD™. http://www.accessdata.fda.gov/drugsatfda_docs/appletter/2001/21356ltr.pdf
- 2013) Comparison of tenofovir, Zidovudine, or Stavudine as part of first-line antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited-setting: a cohort study. PLoS One 8, e64459. , , , , & (
- World Health Organization (2007) Addendum to 2006 WHO Guidelines on Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2010) Antiretroviral Therapy for HIV Infection in Adults and Adolescents: Recommendations for a Public Health Approach – 2010 Revision. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.