CD4 count outperforms World Health Organization clinical algorithm for point-of-care HIV diagnosis among hospitalised HIV-exposed Malawian infants
Version of Record online: 23 APR 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 8, pages 978–987, August 2014
How to Cite
Maliwichi, M., Rosenberg, N. E., Macfie, R., Olson, D., Hoffman, I., van der Horst, C. M., Kazembe, P. N., Hosseinipour, M. C. and McCollum, E. D. (2014), CD4 count outperforms World Health Organization clinical algorithm for point-of-care HIV diagnosis among hospitalised HIV-exposed Malawian infants. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 978–987. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12326
- Issue online: 30 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 23 APR 2014
- National Institutes of Health through the Fogarty International Center
- International Clinical Research Fellows Program at Vanderbilt University
- National Heart Lung and Blood Institute
- University of North Carolina Center for AIDS Research
- UNC Hopkins Morehouse Tulane Fogarty Global Health Fellows Program
- 2003) Standards for Reporting of Diagnostic Accuracy. Toward complete and accurate reporting of studies of diagnostic accuracy: the STARD initiative. Standards for Reporting of Diagnostic Accuracy. Annals of Internal Medicine 138, 40–44. , , et al. (
- 2011) Inadequate coordination of maternal and infant HIV services detrimentally affects early infant diagnosis outcomes in Lilongwe, Malawi. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 56, e122–e128. , , et al. (
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (1994) 1994 revised classification system for human immunodeficiency virus infection in children less than 13 years of age. MMWR 43, 1–10.
- 2004) AbsoluteCD4 vs.CD4 percentage for predicting the risk of opportunistic illness in HIV infection. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 36, 1028–1033. , , & (
- 2005) CD4 lymphocyte percentage versus absolute CD4 lymphocyte count in predicting HIV disease progression: an old debate revisited. Journal of Infectious Diseases 192, 945–947. & (
- 2011) Presumptive diagnosis of severe HIV infection to determine the need for antiretroviral therapy in children less than 18 months of age. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 513–520. , , & (
- 2009) Performance of clinical algorithms for HIV-1 diagnosis and antiretroviral initiation among HIV-1-exposed children aged less than 18 months in Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndrome 50, 492–498. , , et al. (
- 2005) Can clinical algorithms deliver an accurate diagnosis of HIV infection in infancy? Bulletin of the World Health Organization. 83, 559–560. , & (
- 2007) Child mortality according to maternal and infant HIV status in Zimbabwe. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 26, 519–526. , , et al. (
- 2010) Task shifting routine inpatient pediatric HIV testing improves program outcomes in urban Malawi: a retrospective observational study. PLoS ONE 5, e9626. , , et al. (
- 2012) Clinical diagnosis versus expedited virologic testing for HIV infection in hospitalized Malawian infants: a randomized controlled proof-of-concept trial of point-of-care infant testing. XIX International AIDS Conference July 22–27, 2012. Washington DC, USA Abstract Number: LBPE13-Poster Exhibition. , , et al. (
- 2013) Multicenter study of hypoxemia prevalence and quality of oxygen treatment for hospitalized Malawian children. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 107, 285–292. , , , & (
- Ministry of Health Malawi (2011) Clinical Management of HIV in Children and Adults. Malawi Government, Ministry of Health, Lilongwe, Malawi.
- Ministry of Health Malawi, National AIDS Commission (2008) Treatment of AIDS: Guidelines for the Use of Antiretroviral Therapy in Malawi. Malawi Government, Ministry of Health, Lilongwe, Malawi.
- 1995) Predicting perinatal human immunodeficiency virus infection by antibody patterns. The Pediatric Infectious Disease Journal 14, 850–852. , , & (
- 2010) Performance of modified WHO presumptive criteria for diagnosis of HIV infection in children <18 months admitted to University Teaching Hospital in Lusaka. Medical Journal of Zambia 37, 64–70. , , et al. (
- 2004) Mortality of infected and uninfected infants born to HIV-infected mothers in Africa: a pooled analysis. Lancet 364, 1236–1243. , , et al. (
- 2009) Validation of 2006 WHO prediction scores for true HIV infection in children less than 18 months with a positive serological HIV test. PLoS ONE 4, e5312. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2012) Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global Epidemic.
- 2005) Understanding interobserver agreement: the kappa statistic. Family Medicine 37, 360–363. & (
- 2008) Early antiretroviral therapy and mortality among HIV-infected infants. The New England Journal of Medicine 359, 2233–2244. , , et al. (
- World Health Organization (2006a). ART of HIV Infection in Infants and Children in low Resource Settings. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- World Health Organization (2006b). Antiretroviral Therapy of HIV Infection in Infants and Children: Towards Universal Access, Recommendations for a Public Health Approach. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.