Burden of disease from inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene in low- and middle-income settings: a retrospective analysis of data from 145 countries
Version of Record online: 29 APR 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Tropical Medicine and International Health published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 8, pages 894–905, August 2014
How to Cite
Prüss-Ustün, A., Bartram, J., Clasen, T., Colford, J. M., Cumming, O., Curtis, V., Bonjour, S., Dangour, A. D., De France, J., Fewtrell, L., Freeman, M. C., Gordon, B., Hunter, P. R., Johnston, R. B., Mathers, C., Mäusezahl, D., Medlicott, K., Neira, M., Stocks, M., Wolf, J. and Cairncross, S. (2014), Burden of disease from inadequate water, sanitation and hygiene in low- and middle-income settings: a retrospective analysis of data from 145 countries. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 894–905. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12329
- Issue online: 30 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 29 APR 2014
- United Kingdom Department for International Development (DFID)
- 2014) Assessment of the level of exposure to fecally contaminated drinking water in developing countries. Tropical Medicine and International Health (this issue). , , et al. (
- 2013) Sanitation: a global estimate of sewerage connections without treatment and the resulting impact on MDG progress. Environmental Science & Technology 47, 1994–2000. , & (
- 2013) Maternal and child undernutrition and overweight in low-income and middle-income countries. Lancet 382, 427–477. , , et al. (
- 1993). Environmental Health Engineering in the Tropics. An Introductory Text. John Wiley & Sons, Chichester. & (
- 2008) Microbiological effectiveness and cost of disinfecting water by boiling in semi-urban India. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 79, 407–413. , , et al. (
- 2014) Estimating the impact of unsafe water, sanitation and hygiene on the global burden of disease: evolving and alternative methods. Tropical Medicine & International Health (this issue). , , , , & (
- 2003) Effect of washing hands with soap on diarrhoea risk in the community: a systematic review. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 3, 275–281. & (
- 2013) Interventions to improve water quality and supply, sanitation and hygiene practices, and their effects on the nutritional status of children. The Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 8, CD009382. , , et al. (
- 2014) The impact of school water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions on the health of younger siblings of pupils: a cluster-randomized trial in Kenya. American Journal of Public Health 104, e91–e97. , , , & (
- 2000) Review of the evidence base for the ‘F’ and ‘E’ components of the SAFE strategy for trachoma control. Tropical Medicine & International Health 5, 515–527. , , & (
- 2013) Does clean water matter? An updated meta-analysis of water supply and sanitation interventions and diarrhoeal diseases. The Lancet 381, S44. & (
- 1991) Effects of improved water supply and sanitation on ascariasis, diarrhoea, dracunculiasis, hookworm infection, schistosomiasis, and trachoma. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 69, 609–621. , , & (
- 2013) Public Health and Social Benefits of At-House Water Supplies. University of Leeds, Leeds, UK. , , et al. (
- 2002) Selected major risk factors and global and regional burden of disease. Lancet 360, 1347–1360. , , , & (
- 2005) Water, sanitation, and hygiene interventions to reduce diarrhoea in less developed countries: a systematic review and meta-analysis. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 5, 42–52. , , , , & (
- 2014a) The impact of a school-based water supply and treatment, hygiene, and sanitation programme on pupil diarrhoea: a cluster-randomized trial. Epidemiology & Infection 142, 340–351. , , et al. (
- 2014b) Hygiene and health: systematic review of handwashing practices worldwide and update of health effects. Tropical Medicine and International Health (this issue). , , et al. (
- 2007) Water Expansions in Shantytowns: Health and Savings. Inter-American Development Bank, Washington, DC. , & (
- 2012) Benefits of water safety plans: microbiology, compliance, and public health. Environmental Science & Technology 46, 7782–7789. , , , & (
- 2009) Child undernutrition, tropical enteropathy, toilets, and handwashing. Lancet 374, 1032–1035. (
- 2010) Impact on diarrhoeal illness of a community educational intervention to improve drinking water quality in rural communities in Puerto Rico. BMC Public Health 10, 219. , & (
- 2001) Prevention of bacterial diarrhea by pasteurization of drinking water in Kenya. Microbiology & Immunology 45, 413–416. , , & (
- 2007) Case-control study of environmental and social factors influencing cryptosporidiosis. European Journal of Epidemiology 22, 805–811. , , et al. (
- 2012) A comparative risk assessment of burden of disease and injury attributable to 67 risk factors and risk factor clusters in 21 regions, 1990–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. The Lancet 380, 2224–2260. , , et al. (
- 2012) Global, regional, and national causes of child mortality: an updated systematic analysis for 2010 with time trends since 2000. Lancet 379, 2151–2161. , , et al. (
- 2012) Global and regional mortality from 235 causes of death for 20 age groups in 1990 and 2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010. Lancet 380, 2095–2128. , , et al. (
- 1999) A massive epidemic of multidrug-resistant typhoid fever in Tajikistan associated with consumption of municipal water. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 179, 1416–1422. , , et al. (
- 1996) The Global Burden of Disease. World Health Organization, Harvard School of Public Health, World Bank, Geneva. & (
- 2005) Effect of precipitation on seasonal variability in cryptosporidiosis recorded by the North West England surveillance system in 1990–1999. Journal of Water and Health 3, 185–196. , , & (
- OECD (2013) Public Spending on Health and Long-Term Care: A New Set of Projections. Organization for Economic Co-operation and Development, Paris.
- Palisade (2013) @Risk 6. http://www.palisade.com/risk
- 2012) Freshwater availability and water fetching distance affect child health in sub-Saharan Africa. Environmental Science & Technology 46, 2391–2397. & (
- 2002) Estimating the burden of disease from water, sanitation, and hygiene at a global level. Environmental health perspectives 110, 537–542. , , & (
- 2007) How much disease burden can be prevented by environmental interventions? Epidemiology 18, 167–178. & (
- 2008) Safer Water, Better Health. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland. , , & (
- 2010) Estimating the scope of household water treatment in low- and medium-income countries. The American Journal of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 82, 289–300. & (
- 2010) Microbiological effectiveness of disinfecting water by boiling in rural Guatemala. American Journal of Tropical Medicine & Hygiene 82, 473–477. , & (
- Royal Scientific Society (2013) To Identify Minimum Household Water Security Requirements for Health Protection. Royal Scientific Society, Amman, Jordan.
- 2012) Influence of reported study design characteristics on intervention effect estimates from randomized, controlled trials. Annals of Internal Medicine 157, 429–438. , , et al. (
- 2009) Drinking water residence time in distribution networks and emergency department visits for gastrointestinal illness in Metro Atlanta, Georgia. Journal of Water and Health 7, 332–343. , , et al. (
- 1992) Can improvements in water supply reduce childhood diarrhoea? Health Policy and Planning 7, 260–268. , , , & (
- UNICEF (2014) Multiple Indicator Cluster Survey (MICS). United Nations Children's Fund, New York. http://www.unicef.org/statistics/index_24302.html.
- USAID (2014) DHS Program. US Agency for International Development. http://dhsprogram.com/.
- 2009) Water, Sanitation and Hygiene Interventions to Combat Childhood Diarrhoea in Developing Countries. The International Initiative for Impact Evaluation (3ie), New Delhi, India. , , & (
- WHO (2002) The World Health Report 2002 – Reducing Risks, Promoting Healthy Life. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- WHO (2004) Comparative Quantification of Health Risks. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2009) The Global Burden of Disease: 2004 Update. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO (2013a) Global health observatory – data repository [Online]. http://apps.who.int/ghodata/files/84/ghodata.html.
- WHO (2013b) WHO Regional Offices [Online]. World Health Organization, Geneva. http://www.who.int/about/regions/en/
- WHO (2014) World Health Survey (WHS) [Online]. Geneva. http://www.who.int/healthinfo/survey/en/
- WHO & UNICEF (2013a) Progress on Sanitation and Drinking-Water. 2013 Update. World Health Organization, Geneva.
- WHO & UNICEF (2013b) WHO/UNICEF Joint Monitoring Programme (JMP) for water supply and sanitation [Online]. http://www.wssinfo.org/data-estimates/introduction/.
- 2013) An exploration of multilevel modeling for estimating access to drinking-water and sanitation. Journal of Water and Health 11, 64–77. , & (
- 2014) Review of the evidence relating drinking-water and sanitation to diarrhoea: a meta-regression. Tropical Medicine and International Health (this issue). , , et al. (
- World Bank (2012) Country and Lending Groups, July 2012. World Bank, Washington, DC.
- 2012) Effect of sanitation on soil-transmitted helminth infection: systematic review and meta-analysis. PLoS Medicine 9, e1001162. , , , , & (
- 1995) Residual microbiological risk after simple chlorine treatment of drinking ground water in small community systems. European Journal of Public Health 5, 75–81. , & (