Community-supported models of care for people on HIV treatment in sub-Saharan Africa
Version of Record online: 28 MAY 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 8, pages 968–977, August 2014
How to Cite
Bemelmans, M., Baert, S., Goemaere, E., Wilkinson, L., Vandendyck, M., van Cutsem, G., Silva, C., Perry, S., Szumilin, E., Gerstenhaber, R., Kalenga, L., Biot, M. and Ford, N. (2014), Community-supported models of care for people on HIV treatment in sub-Saharan Africa. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 968–977. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12332
- Issue online: 30 JUN 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 MAY 2014
- 2013) Implementing Community ART Groups in low resource settings: lessons learned from Médecins Sans Frontières. International Conference on AIDS and STIs in Africa (ICASA 2013), poster A2429514, 7–11 December 2013, Cape Town, South Africa. , , et al. (
- 2013) Cost-effectiveness of ART adherence clubs for long-term management of clinically stable ART patients. International Conference on AIDS and STIs in Africa (ICASA 2013), poster A2427356, 7–11 December 2013, Cape Town, South Africa. , , & (
- 2007) Implementing antiretroviral therapy in rural communities: the Lusikisiki model of decentralized HIV/AIDS care. The Journal of Infectious Diseases 196(Suppl 3), S464–S468. , , & (
- 2010) Providing universal access to antiretroviral therapy in Thyolo, Malawi through task shifting and decentralization of HIV/AIDS care. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15, 1413–1420. , , et al. (
- 2013) One stone, two targets. Strategies to improve ART delivery and clinical outcomes of stable ART patients: lessons learned from the implementation of community ART Groups in Thyolo District, Malawi. International Conference on AIDS and STIs in Africa (ICASA 2013), abstract A2401134, 7–11 December 2013, Cape Town, South Africa. , , et al. (
- 2010) Seven-year experience of a primary care antiretroviral treatment programme in Khayelitsha, South Africa. AIDS 24, 563–572. , , et al. (
- CCM, DRC (2013) DRC Concept Note for Submission to Apply for Funding within the New Funding Model of the Global Fund to Fight Aids, TB and Malaria. Country Coordinating Mechanism (CCM) Democratique Republic of Congo (DRC), Kinshasa, DRC.
- 2011) Community case management of malaria using ACT and RDT in two districts in Zambia: achieving high adherence to test results using community health workers. Malaria Journal 10, 158. , , , & (
- CIVICUS (2013) State of Civil Society: Creating an Enabling Environment. World Alliance for Citizen Participation (CIVICUS), Johannesburg, South Africa. http://socs.civicus.org/?page_id=4289 (Accessed 7 February 2014).
- 2010) Temporal changes in programme outcomes among adult patients initiating antiretroviral therapy across South Africa 2002–2007. AIDS 24, 2263–2270. , , et al. (
- 2009) Lessons learned during down referral of antiretroviral treatment in Tete, Mozambique. Journal of the International AIDS Society 12, 6. , , et al. (
- 2011) Distribution of antiretroviral treatment through self-forming groups of patients in Tete Province, Mozambique. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 56, e39–e44. , , et al. (
- 2012) Community ART groups support ART access and retention among HIV-positive dependent children in rural Tete, Mozambique. 19th International AIDS Conference, poster abstract WEPE720, 22–27 July 2012, Washington, DC, USA. , , et al. (
- 2013) Community-based antiretroviral therapy programs can overcome barriers to retention of patients and decongest health services in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. International Health 5, 169–179. , , et al. (
- 2014) Four year retention and risk factors for attrition among members of community ART groups in Tete, Mozambique. Tropical Medicine & International Health 19, 514–521. , , et al. (
- 2010) Better antiretroviral therapy outcomes at primary healthcare facilities: an evaluation of three tiers of ART services in four South African provinces. PLoS One 5, e12888. , & (
- 2010) Patient retention in antiretroviral therapy programs up to three years on treatment in sub-Saharan Africa 2007-2009: systematic review. Tropical Medicine & International Health 15(Suppl 1), 1–15. & (
- 2009) Rates of virological failure in patients treated in a home-based versus a facility-based HIV-care model in Jinja, southeast Uganda: a cluster-randomised equivalence trial. Lancet 374, 2080–2089. , , et al. (
- 2011) Economic Evaluation of HIV/AIDS Primary/Community Care in Four Selected MSF Project Settings: Patient and Health Care Provider Perspective. Unpublished report, Médecins Sans Frontières, Brussels, Belgium. (
- 2013) Décentralisation de la prise en charge des patients séropositifs stables: expérience des points de distribution (PODI) communautaires à Kinshasa. Oral presentation, 2ème Conférence nationale sur le VIH/sida et les IST, 24–26 June 2013, Lubumbashi, Democratic Republic of Congo. Abstract published in: Annals of African Medicine 6 (2 Suppl), 22. , , et al. (
- 2012) Retention in a NGO supported antiretroviral program in the Democratic Republic of Congo. PLoS One 7, e40971. , , et al. (
- 2012) Quantifying and addressing losses along the continuum of care for people living with HIV infection in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Journal of the International AIDS Society 15, 17383. , , et al. (
- 2013) Decentralising HIV treatment in lower- and middle-income countries. Cochrane Database of Systematic Reviews 6, CD009987. , , & (
- 2013) Evaluation of a well-established task-shifting initiative: the lay counselor cadre in Botswana. PLoS One 8, e61601. , , et al. (
- 2009) Efficacité après 5 ans d'un projet d'accès à la thérapie antirétrovirale en République Démocratique du Congo. Thesis to obtain MPH at Institute of Tropical Medicine (ITM), Antwerp, Belgium. (
- 2013) Effectiveness of patient adherence groups as a model of care for stable patients on antiretroviral therapy in Khayelitsha, Cape Town, South Africa. PLoS One 8, e56088. , , et al. (
- 2011) Optimizing patient monitoring after the first year of ART: three years of implementing 6-monthly clinical appointments in rural Malawi. 6th International AIDS Society Conference on HIV Pathogenesis and Treatment, abstract MOPE436, 17–20 July 2011, Rome, Italy. , , et al. (
- 2012) Guidelines for antiretroviral therapy in adults by the Southern African HIV Clinicians Society. SAJHIVMED 13, 114–133. , , et al. (
- 2006) Adherence to HAART: a systematic review of developed and developing nation patient-reported barriers and facilitators. PLoS Medicine 3, e438. , , et al. (
- Ministry of Health Mozambique (2009) Relatório de Retenção TARV; Analise de Retenção aos 12 Meses dos Pacientes que Iniciaram TARV. Maputo, Mozambique.
- Monitoring Essential Medicines Consortium: MSF, TAC, RUDASA, Section 27, Rural Health Advocacy Project (2013) Stock outs in South Africa: a national crisis. Johannesburg, South Africa 2013. http://www.msf.org.za/sites/msf.org.za/files/Publication/Documents/stop_stockouts_report_2013pdf.pdf (Accessed 7 February 2014).
- 2013) Role and outcomes of community health workers in HIV care in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Journal of the International AIDS Society 16, 18586. , , et al. (
- 2014) Factors before enrolment are associated with being removed from a Pharmacy-only Refill Programme at a large urban HIV/AIDS clinic, Uganda. International Journal of STD & AIDS 25, 105–112. , , et al. (
- 2014) Community-Based ART Programs in Resource-Limited Settings. Conference on Retroviruses and Opportunistic Infections, 3–6 March, Boston. Abstract 1058. http://www.croi2014.org/sites/default/files/uploads/CROI2014_Final_Abstracts.pdf (Accessed 26 April 2014) , , et al. (
- PNMLS (2013) Plan stratégique national contre le VIH sida 2014-2017. Septembre 2013 (draft 5). Programme National Mulitsectoriel de lutte contre le SIDA (PNMLS), Kinshasa, DRC.
- 2014) Patient and programme impact of fixed-dose combination antiretroviral therapy: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Tropical Medicine & International Health 19, 501–513. , , , , & (
- 2014) A qualitative assessment of a community antiretroviral therapy model in Tete, Mozambique. PLoS One 9, e91544. , , et al. (
- 2009) Barriers to sustaining antiretroviral treatment in Kisesa, Tanzania: a follow-up study to understand attrition from the antiretroviral program. AIDS Patient Care and STDs 23, 203–210. , , et al. (
- 2006) Patient support and education for promoting adherence to highly active antiretroviral therapy for HIV/AIDS. Cochrane Database for Systematic Reviews 3, CD001442. , , et al. (
- 2010) Task-shifting of antiretroviral delivery from health care workers to persons living with HIV/AIDS: clinical outcomes of a community-based program in Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 55, 483–490. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2013) Global Report: UNAIDS Report on the Global AIDS Epidemic 2013. Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/epidemiology/2013/gr2013/UNAIDS_Global_Report_2013_en.pdf (Accessed 21 November 2013).
- 2012) Outcomes of antiretroviral treatment programs in rural Southern Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 59, 9–16. , , et al. (
- 2009) Explaining adherence success in sub-Saharan Africa: an ethnographic study. PLoS Medicine 6, e11. , , et al. (
- WHO (2006) The World Health Report 2006 – Working Together for Health. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/whr/2006/en/ (Accessed 21 November 2013).
- WHO (2013) Consolidated guidelines on general HIV care and the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/85321/1/9789241505727_eng.pdf (Accessed 21 November 2013).
- WHO (2014) Supplement to the 2013 consolidated guidelines on the use of antiretroviral drugs for treating and preventing HIV infection: recommendations for a public health approach. WHO, Geneva, Switzerland. http://www.who.int/hiv/pub/guidelines/arv2013/arvs2013upplement_march2014/en/ (Accessed 18 March 2014).
- 2013) ART adherence clubs: a long-term retention strategy for clinically stable patients receiving antiretroviral therapy. South African Journal of HIV Medicine 14, 48–50. (
- 2009) A model for extending antiretroviral care beyond the rural health centre. Journal of the International AIDS Society 12, 22. , , et al. (