The Promise-EBF study group members are in Appendix.
Severe events in the first 6 months of life in a cohort of HIV-unexposed infants from South Africa: effects of low birthweight and breastfeeding status
Article first published online: 23 JUL 2014
© 2014 The Authors. Tropical Medicine & International Health Published by John Wiley & Sons Ltd.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution License, which permits use, distribution and reproduction in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited.
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 10, pages 1162–1169, October 2014
How to Cite
Doherty, T., Jackson, D., Swanevelder, S., Lombard, C., Engebretsen, I. M. S., Tylleskär, T., Goga, A., Ekström, E.-C., Sanders, D. and the PROMISE EBF study group (2014), Severe events in the first 6 months of life in a cohort of HIV-unexposed infants from South Africa: effects of low birthweight and breastfeeding status. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 1162–1169. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12355
- Issue published online: 17 SEP 2014
- Article first published online: 23 JUL 2014
- European Union
- Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency
- South African National Research Foundation
- 2012) A Proof of Concept Cluster Randomised Controlled Trial to Evaluate the Impact of a Cash Incentivised Prevention Intervention to Reduce HIV Infection in High School Learners in Rural KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa, 2013.http://clinicaltrials.gov/show/NCT01187979. Accessed on 18 June 2014. (
- 2005) Infant feeding patterns and risks of death and hospitalization in the first half of infancy: multicentre cohort study. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 83, 418–426. , , et al. (
- 2013) Eliminating mother-to-child HIV transmission in South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 91, 70–74. , , et al. (
- 2008) Every death counts: use of mortality audit data for decision making to save the lives of mothers, babies, and children in South Africa. Lancet 371, 1294–1304. , , et al. (
- 2013) Ending of preventable deaths from pneumonia and diarrhoea: an achievable goal. Lancet 381, 1499–1506. , , et al. (
- 2008) From research to national expansion: 20 years' experience of community-based management of childhood pneumonia in Nepal. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 86, 339–343. , , , , & (
- Department of Health South Africa and Measure DHS (2004) South Africa Demographic and Health Survey 2003: Full Report. National Department of Health, Pretoria.
- Department of Health/Medical Research Council/Measure DHS (1998) South Africa Demographic and Health Survey 1998. National Department of Health, Pretoria.
- 2011) Implications of the new WHO guidelines on HIV and infant feeding for child survival in South Africa. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 62–67. , , & (
- 2013) Nutritional management of the low birth weight/preterm infant in community settings: a perspective from the developing world. Journal of Pediatrics 162 (3 Suppl.), S107–S114. & (
- 2013) South African child deaths 1990–2011: have HIV services reversed the trend enough to meet Millennium Development Goal 4? AIDS 27, 2637–2648. , , et al. (
- 2010) ‘Kangaroo mother care’ to prevent neonatal deaths due to pre-term birth complications. International Journal of Epidemiology 39, i144–i154. , , , & (
- March of Dimes, PMNCH, Save the Children & WHO (2012) Born Too Soon: The Global Action Report on Preterm Birth (eds CP Howson, MV Kinney & JE Lawn) WHO, Geneva.
- 2012) Under-5 Mortality Statistics in South Africa: Shedding Some Light on the Trend and Causes 1997–2007. Medical Research Council, Cape Town. , , et al. (
- 2013) Assessment of the uptake of neonatal and young infant referrals by community health workers to public health facilities in an urban informal settlement, KwaZulu-Natal, South Africa. BMC Health Services Research 13, 47. , , et al. (
- 2013) Burden of fetal alcohol syndrome in a rural West Coast area of South Africa. South African Medical Journal 103, 402–405. , , , & (
- 2013) Accountability for Maternal, Newborn and Child Survival: The 2013 Update. WHO/UNICEF, Geneva. , , & (
- 2003) Effect of pneumonia case management on mortality in neonates, infants, and preschool children: a meta-analysis of community-based trials. The Lancet Infectious Diseases 3, 547–556. & (
- 2012) Pathways of care-seeking during fatal infant illnesses in under-resourced South African settings. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 106, 110–116. , , , & (
- South African National Department of Health (2010) Re-Engineering Primary Health Care in South Africa: A Discussion Document. South African National Department of Health, Pretoria.
- 2007) Community-based situation analysis of maternal and neonatal care in South Africa to explore factors that impact utilization of maternal health services. Journal of Midwifery & Women's Health 52, 342–350. , , et al. (
- 2011) Exclusive breastfeeding promotion by peer counsellors in sub-Saharan Africa (PROMISE-EBF): a cluster-randomised trial. Lancet 378, 420–427. , , et al. (
- UNICEF (2012) Pneumonia and Diarrhoea: Tackling the Deadliest Diseases for the World's Poorest Children. UNICEF, New York.
- UNICEF (2013) Committing to Child Survival: A Promise Renewed Progress Report 2013 (eds D Anthony & E Mullerbeck) UNICEF, New York.
- 1997) The role of conceptual frameworks in epidemiological analysis: a hierarchical approach. International Journal of Epidemiology 26, 224–227. , , & (
- WHO Collaborative Study Team on the Role of Breastfeeding on the Prevention of Infant Mortality (2000) Effect of breastfeeding on infant and child mortality due to infectious diseases in less developed countries: a pooled analysis. Lancet 355, 451–455.
- WHO/UNICEF (2013) Ending Preventable Child Deaths from Pneumonia and Diarrhoea by 2025: The Integrated Global Action Plan for Pneumonia and Diarrhoea. WHO/UNICEF, Geneva.
- World Bank (2013) http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SI.POV.GINI. Retrieved 8th November, 2013.
- World Health Organisation (2010) Guidelines on HIV and Infant Feeding 2010: Principles and Recommendations for Infant Feeding in the Context of HIV and A Summary of Evidence. World Health Organisation, Geneva.