Health service delivery models for the provision of antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review
Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 10, pages 1198–1215, October 2014
How to Cite
Lazarus, J. V., Safreed-Harmon, K., Nicholson, J. and Jaffar, S. (2014), Health service delivery models for the provision of antiretroviral therapy in sub-Saharan Africa: a systematic review. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 1198–1215. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12366
- Issue online: 17 SEP 2014
- Version of Record online: 28 JUL 2014
- 2012) Effectiveness and acceptability of delivery of antiretroviral treatment in health centres by health officers and nurses in Ethiopia. Journal of Health Services Research and Policy 17, 24–29. , , et al. (
- 2010) Outcomes of antiretroviral treatment: a comparison between hospitals and health centers in Ethiopia. Journal of the International Association of Physicians in AIDS Care 9, 318–324. & (
- Baylor International Pediatric AIDS Initiative (2010) HIV Curriculum for the health professional. http://www.bipai.org/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=137.
- 2008) Provision of antiretroviral therapy to children within the public sector of South Africa. Transactions of the Royal Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene 102, 905–911. , , et al. (
- 2010) Scaling up access to antiretroviral treatment for HIV infection: the impact of decentralization of healthcare delivery in Cameroon. AIDS 24(Suppl. 1), S5–S15. , , et al. (
- 2011) Outcomes of stable HIV-positive patients down-referred from a doctor-managed antiretroviral therapy clinic to a nurse-managed primary health clinic for monitoring and treatment. AIDS 25, 2027–2036. , , et al. (
- 2010) Effect of peer health workers on AIDS care in Rakai, Uganda: a cluster-randomized trial. PLoS ONE 5, e10923. , , et al. (
- 2013) Cost analyses of peer health worker and mHealth support interventions for improving AIDS care in Rakai, Uganda. AIDS Care 25, 652–656. , , et al. (
- 2011) A randomized controlled trial comparing the effects of counseling and alarm device on HAART adherence and virologic outcomes. PLoS Medicine 8, e1000422. , , et al. (
- 2012) Task shifting of antiretroviral treatment from doctors to primary-care nurses in South Africa (STRETCH): a pragmatic, parallel, cluster-randomised trial. Lancet 380, 889–898. , , et al. (
- 2010) Better antiretroviral therapy outcomes at primary healthcare facilities: an evaluation of three tiers of ART services in four South African provinces. PLoS ONE 5, e12888. , & (
- 2012) Improved survival and antiretroviral treatment outcomes in adults receiving community-based adherence support: 5-year results from a multicentre cohort study in South Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 61, e50–e58. , , et al. (
- 2005) Lack of effect of motivation on the adherence of HIV-positive/AIDS patients to antiretroviral treatment. The Brazilian Journal of Infectious Diseases 9, 494–499. , , et al. (
- 2012) Risk factors, barriers and facilitators for linkage to antiretroviral therapy care: a systematic review. AIDS 26, 2059–2067. , & (
- 2012) Similar mortality and reduced loss to follow-up in integrated compared with vertical programs providing antiretroviral treatment in sub-Saharan Africa. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 59, e92–e98. , , et al. (
- 2012) Community adherence support improves programme retention in children on antiretroviral treatment: a multicentre cohort study in South Africa. Journal of the International AIDS Society 15, 17381. , , et al. (
- 2010) Nurse led, primary care based antiretroviral treatment versus hospital care: a controlled prospective study in Swaziland. BMC Health Services Research 10, 229. , , et al. (
- 2007) Direct observation therapy-highly active antiretroviral therapy in a resource-limited setting: the use of community treatment support can be effective. International Journal of STD and AIDS 18, 760–763. , , et al. (
- 2011) An evaluation of the impact of a community-based adherence support programme on ART outcomes in selected government HIV treatment sites in South Africa. AIDS Care 23, 231–236. , , et al. (
- 2009) Rates of virological failure in patients treated in a home-based versus a facility-based HIV-care model in Jinja, southeast Uganda: a cluster-randomised equivalence trial. Lancet 374, 2080–2089. , , et al. (
- Kaiser Family Foundation (2012) Financing the response to AIDS in low- and middle income countries: international assistance from donor governments in 2011. Kaiser Family Foundation; UNAIDS. http://www.kff.org/hivaids/upload/7347-08.pdf.
- 2010) Results of a community-based antiretroviral treatment program for HIV-1 infection in Western Uganda. Current HIV Research 8, 179–185. , , et al. (
- 2011) Comparing antiretroviral treatment outcomes between a prospective community-based and hospital-based cohort of HIV patients in rural Uganda. BMC International Health and Human Rights 11(Suppl. 2), S12. , , et al. (
- 2012) Antiretroviral treatment for HIV in rural Uganda: two-year treatment outcomes of a prospective health centre/community-based and hospital-based cohort. PLoS ONE 7, e40902. , , et al. (
- 2011) Treatment outcomes and cost-effectiveness of shifting management of stable ART patients to nurses in South Africa: an observational cohort. PLoS Medicine 8, e1001055. , , et al. (
- 2012) Treatment initiation, program attrition and patient treatment outcomes associated with scale-up and decentralization of HIV care in rural Malawi. PLoS ONE 7, e38044. , , et al. (
- 2009) Enhancing adherence to antiretroviral therapy at the HIV clinic in resource constrained countries: the Tanzanian experience. Tropical Medicine and International Health 14, 1226–1232. , , et al. (
- 2010) Community-based DOT-HAART accompaniment in an urban resource-poor setting. AIDS and Behavior 14, 721–730. , , et al. (
- 2010) Randomized controlled trial of trained patient-nominated treatment supporters providing partial directly observed antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 24, 1273–1280. , , et al. (
- 2007) Randomized control trial of peer-delivered, modified directly observed therapy for HAART in Mozambique. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 46, 238–244. , , et al. (
- 2010) Nurse versus doctor management of HIV-infected patients receiving antiretroviral therapy (CIPRA-SA): a randomised non-inferiority trial. Lancet 376, 33–40. , , et al. (
- 2008) Short- and long-term efficacy of modified directly observed antiretroviral treatment in Mombasa, Kenya: a randomized trial. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 48, 611–619. , , et al. (
- 2011) Towards an improved investment approach for an effective response to HIV/AIDS. Lancet 377, 2031–2041. , , et al. (
- 2010) Task-shifting of antiretroviral delivery from healthcare workers to persons living with HIV/AIDS: clinical outcomes of a community-based program in Kenya. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 55, 483–490. , , et al. (
- 2010) Assessing the viorologic and adherence benefits of patient-selected HIV treatment partners in a resource-limited setting. Journal of Acquired Immune Deficiency Syndromes 54, 85–92. , , et al. (
- UNAIDS (2012) Global report: UNAIDS report on the global AIDS epidemic 2012. http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/epidemiology/2012/gr2012/20121120_UNAIDS_Global_Report_2012_with_annexes_en.pdf.
- UNAIDS (2013) Update: UNAIDS Special Report. http://www.unaids.org/en/media/unaids/contentassets/documents/document/2013/05/20130521_Update_Africa.pdf.
- WHO (2002) Scaling up antiretroviral therapy in resource-limited settings: guidelines for a public health approach. WHO. http://apps.who.int/medicinedocs/pdf/s2888e/s2888e.pdf.
- WHO (2011a) Progress report 2011: global HIV/AIDS response: epidemic update and health sector progress towards universal access. WHO; UNICEF; UNAIDS. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241502986_eng.pdf.
- WHO (2011b) The Treatment 2.0 framework for action: catalysing the next phase of treatment, care and support. WHO; UNAIDS. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501934_eng.pdf.
- WHO (2011c) Global Health Sector Strategy on HIV/AIDS, 2011–2015. World Health Organization. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/publications/2011/9789241501651_eng.pdf.
- WHO (2013) World Health Statistics 2013. WHO. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/81965/1/9789241564588_eng.pdf.
- 2008) Impact of baseline health and community support on antiretroviral treatment outcomes in HIV patients in South Africa. AIDS 22, 2545–2548. , , et al. (
- 2009) Public-sector ART in the Free State Province, South Africa: community support as an important determinant of outcome. Social Science and Medicine 69, 1177–1185. , , et al. (
- 2012) Impact of community-based support services on antiretroviral treatment programme delivery and outcomes in resource-limited countries: a synthetic review. BMC Health Services Research 12, 194. , , et al. (