Scarcity of protective items against HIV and other bloodborne infections in 13 low- and middle-income countries
Article first published online: 8 AUG 2014
© 2014 John Wiley & Sons Ltd
Tropical Medicine & International Health
Volume 19, Issue 11, pages 1384–1390, November 2014
How to Cite
Gupta, S., Wong, E. G. and Kushner, A. L. (2014), Scarcity of protective items against HIV and other bloodborne infections in 13 low- and middle-income countries. Tropical Medicine & International Health, 19: 1384–1390. doi: 10.1111/tmi.12371
- Issue published online: 7 OCT 2014
- Article first published online: 8 AUG 2014
- Anonymous (1984) Needlestick transmission of HTLV-III from a patient infected in Africa. Lancet 324, e1377.
- 2013) Pediatric emergency and essential surgical care in Zambian hospitals: a nationwide study. Journal of Pediatric Surgery 48, 1363–1370. , , , & (
- 2012) Survey of surgery and anesthesia infrastructure in Ethiopia. World Journal of Surgery 36, 2545–2553. , , et al. (
- 2010) Assessment of capacity for surgery, obstetrics and anesthesia in 17 Ghanaian hospitals using a WHO assessment tool. Tropical Medicine and International Health 15, 1109–1115. , , et al. (
- 1995) A prospective study on the risk of exposure to HIV during surgery in Zambia. AIDS 9, 585–588. , , , & . (
- 2010) Emergency and essential surgical services in Afghanistan: still a missing challenge. World Journal of Surgery 34, 473–479. , , et al. (
- 2014) A cross sectional survey of essential surgical capacity in Somalia. BMJ Open 7, 4. , , et al. (
- 1990) Risk of exposure of surgical personnel to patients' blood during surgery at San Francisco General Hospital. New England Journal of Medicine 322, 1788–1793. , , , & (
- 2006) The World Health Report 2006: working together for health. Education for Health 19, 385–387. (
- 2012) Management of needlestick injuries: a house officer who has a needlestick. JAMA 307, 75–84. (
- 2012) A survey of surgical capacity in rural southern Nigeria: opportunities for change. World Journal of Surgery 36, 2811–2818. , , , & (
- 2011) Emergency, anaesthetic and essential surgical capacity in the Gambia. Bulletin of the World Health Organization 89, 565–572. , , et al. (
- 2009) Quantifying surgical capacity in Sierra Leone: a guide for improving surgical care. Archives of Surgery 144, 122–127. , , et al. (
- 2012) Surgical and anesthesia capacity in Bolivian public hospitals: results from a National hospital survey. World Journal of Surgery 36, 2559–2566. , , , , & (
- 2012) Scarcity of healthcare worker protection in eight low- and middle-income countries: surgery and the risk of HIV and other bloodborne pathogens. Tropical Medicine and International Health 17, 397–401. , , , , & (
- 2011) Surgical care in the Solomon Islands: a road map for universal surgical care delivery. World Journal of Surgery 35, 1183–1193. , , et al. (
- 2012) Emergency and surgery services of primary hospitals in the United Republic of Tanzania. BMJ Open 3, e2. , , et al. (
- 2011) Implementing Liberia's poverty reduction strategy: an assessment of emergency and essential surgical care. Archives of Surgery 146, 35–39. , , et al. (
- 2011) Quantifying surgical and anesthetic availability at primary health facilities in Mongolia. World Journal of Surgery 35, 272–279. , , et al. (
- Surgeons OverSeas (2012) PIPES surgical assessment [online]. http://www.adamkushnermd.com/files/PIPES_tool_103111.pdf. (accessed July 2014).
- 2010) Survey of emergency and surgical capacity in the conflict-affected regions of Sri Lanka. World Journal of Surgery 34, 428–432. , , , , & (
- 1993) Surveillance of HIV infection and zidovudine use among healthcare workers after occupational exposure to HIV-infected blood. The CDC Cooperative Needlestick Surveillance Group. Annals of Internal Medicine 188, 913. , & et al. (
- UNAIDS (2013) Regions and countries. http://www.unaids.org/en/regionscountries/regions/ (accessed 20 September 2013).
- World Bank (2012) World Development Indicators: Health Systems. http://wdi.worldbank.org/table/2.15 (accessed July 2014).
- World Health Organization (2012) Data by country on the size of the HIV/AIDS epidemic: Number of people (all ages) living with HIV. http://apps.who.int/gho/data/node.main.620?lang=en (accessed July 2014).
- World Health Organization (2005) WHO Global Initiative for Emergency and Essential Surgical Care. http://www.who.int/surgery/globalinitiative/en/ (accessed July 2014).