MM and SS were supported, in part, by the National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Oxford Biomedical Research Centre at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust and University of Oxford. This study was supported by a grant from the National Health Service Blood and Transplant Research and Development Committee (PG04-5) and the Australian Red Cross Blood Service.
Impact of prophylactic platelet transfusions on bleeding events in patients with hematologic malignancies: a subgroup analysis of a randomized trial (CME)
Version of Record online: 14 APR 2014
© 2014 Crown copyright. This article Impact of Prophylactic Platelet Transfusions on Bleeding Events in Patients with Hematologic Malignancies: A Sub-group Analysis of a Randomised Trial was written by Stanworth, Estcourt, Llewelyn, Murphy, & Wood. It is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland.
Volume 54, Issue 10, pages 2385–2393, October 2014
How to Cite
Stanworth, S. J., Estcourt, L. J., Llewelyn, C. A., Murphy, M. F., Wood, E. M. and TOPPS Study Investigators (2014), Impact of prophylactic platelet transfusions on bleeding events in patients with hematologic malignancies: a subgroup analysis of a randomized trial (CME). Transfusion, 54: 2385–2393. doi: 10.1111/trf.12646
Trial Registration: ISRCTN08758735.
Authorship: SS was Chief Investigator and conceived the secondary analysis plan. All authors equally reviewed and wrote the final paper.
- Issue online: 10 OCT 2014
- Version of Record online: 14 APR 2014
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 FEB 2014
- Manuscript Revised: 28 JAN 2014
- Manuscript Received: 14 OCT 2013
- National Institute for Health Research (NIHR) Oxford Biomedical Research Centre at Oxford University Hospitals NHS Trust
- University of Oxford
- National Health Service Blood and Transplant Research and Development Committee (PG04-5)
- Australian Red Cross Blood Service
- 3Low-dose prophylactic platelet transfusions in recipients of an autologous peripheral blood progenitor cell transplant and patients with acute leukemia: a randomized controlled trial with a sequential Bayesian design. Transfusion 2004;44:1711-1719., , , et al.
- 5A prospective randomized trial of a prophylactic platelet transfusion trigger of 10 x 10(9) per L versus 30 x 10(9) per L in allogeneic hematopoietic progenitor cell transplant recipients. Transfusion 2005;45:1064-1072., , , et al.
- 10Do all patients with hematologic malignancies and severe thrombocytopenia need prophylactic platelet transfusions? Background, rationale, and design of a clinical trial (trial of platelet prophylaxis) to assess the effectiveness of prophylactic platelet transfusions. Transfus Med Rev 2010;24:163-171., , , et al.
- 23Risk factors of intra-cranial haemorrhage in thrombocytopenic haematology patients: a case-control study. In: ISRCTN Register. 2011 ed: Clinical Trials Register; 2011:ISRCTN05026912..
- 24Challenges in the management of the blood supply. Lancet 2013;381:1866-1875., .