An Age–Period–Cohort Analysis of Political Tolerance in the United States
Article first published online: 29 JAN 2014
© 2014 Midwest Sociological Society
The Sociological Quarterly
Volume 55, Issue 2, pages 421–452, Spring 2014
How to Cite
Schwadel, P. and Garneau, C. R. H. (2014), An Age–Period–Cohort Analysis of Political Tolerance in the United States. The Sociological Quarterly, 55: 421–452. doi: 10.1111/tsq.12058
- Issue published online: 10 APR 2014
- Article first published online: 29 JAN 2014
- 1954. The Nature of Prejudice. Cambridge, MA: Addison-Wesley.
- 1991. “Aging, Cohorts, and the Stability of Sociopolitical Orientations over the Life Span.” American Journal of Sociology 97:169–195. and .
- 2007. “Rethinking Generations.” Research in Human Development 4:219–237. and .
- American Association for Public Opinion Research. 2008. Standard Definitions: Final Dispositions of Case Codes and Outcome Rates for Surveys. 5th ed. Lenexa, KS: AAPOR.
- 2008. “Attitudinal Change in Canada and the United States, 1981–2000.” Public Opinion Quarterly 72:311–330. and .
- 2011. “Decomposing Trends in Attitudes toward Gay Marriage, 1988–2006.” Social Science Quarterly 92:346–363. .
- 1984. “Religious Preference and Practice: Reevaluating Their Impact on Political Tolerance.” Public Opinion Quarterly 48:318–329. and .
- 1989. “Education and Political Tolerance: Testing the Effects of Cognitive Sophistication and Target Group Affect.” Public Opinion Quarterly 53:285–308. and .
- 2004. “The Transformation of US Gender Role Attitudes: Cohort Replacement, Social-Structure Change, and Ideological Learning.” Social Science Research 33:106–133. and .
- 1994. “Tolerance and Social Adjustment to New Norms and Practices.” Political Behavior 16:21–53. .
- 2010. “Baby Boomers Approach 65–Glumly: Survey Findings about America's Largest Generation.” Pew Research Center. Retrieved March 24, 2012 (http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/files/2010/12/Boomer-Summary-Report-FINAL.pdf). and .
- 2003. “Interpersonal Contact and the Stigma of Mental Illness: A Review of the Literature.” Journal of Mental Health 12:293–305. and .
- 2007. “Population Aging, Intracohort Aging, and Sociopolitical Attitudes.” American Sociological Review 72:812–830. , , and .
- 2007. Negative Liberty: Public Opinion and the Terrorist Attacks on America. New York: Russell Sage Foundation.
- 1975. “Communism, Conformity, Cohorts and Categories: American Tolerance in 1954 and 1972–73.” American Journal of Sociology 81:491–513.
- 2002. “Did Growing Up in the 1960s Leave a Permanent Mark on Attitudes and Values? Evidence from the General Social Survey.” Public Opinion Quarterly 68:161–183. .
- 2000. “Have We Reached the Top? Educational Attainment Projections of the U.S. Population.” Working Paper No. 43, U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. Retrieved May 20, 2008 (http://www.census.gov/population/www/documentation/twps0043/twps0043.pdf). and .
- 1978. “The Polls: Attitudes toward Homosexuality.” Public Opinion Quarterly 42:265–276. .
- 2006. “Atheists as ‘Other’: Moral Boundaries and Cultural Membership in American Society.” American Sociological Review 71:211–234. , , and .
- 2002. Generations, Culture and Society. Philadelphia, PA: Open University Press. and .
- 2006. “Rethinking the Relationship between Religion and Political Tolerance in the U.S.” Political Behavior 28:327–348.
- 2001. For Goodness' Sake: Why So Many Want Religion to Play a Greater Role in American Society. New York: Public Agenda. , , and , with Ann Duffett and Patrick Foley.
- 1976. “Tolerance of Non-Believers.” Review of Religious Research 17:232–240. .
- 1992. “Where Does Social Change Come From? Estimating the Relative Contributions of Individual Change and Population Turnover.” Population Research and Policy Review 11:1–20. .
- 1988. “Trends in Antiblack Prejudice, 1972–1984: Region and Cohort Effects.” American Journal of Sociology 94:251–272. and .
- 2010. “Generational Conflict or Methodological Artifact? Reconsidering the Relationship between Age and Policy Attitudes in the U.S., 1984–2008.” Public Opinion Quarterly 74:643–673. and .
- 2006. “Enigmas of Intolerance: Fifty Years after Stouffer's Communism Conformity, and Civil Liberties.” Perspectives on Politics 4:21–34.
- 2013. “Measuring Political Tolerance and General Support for Pro-Civil Liberties Policies.” Public Opinion Quarterly 77:45–68. .
- 2005. Cohort Analysis. 2d ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage.
- 2002. “Why More Americans Have No Religious Preference: Politics and Generations.” American Sociological Review 67:165–190. and .
- 2011. “Overview of Race and Hispanic Origin: 2010.” C2010BR-02: U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved March 25, 2012 (http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-02.pdf). , , and .
- 1990. Culture Shift in Advanced Industrial Society. Princeton, NJ: Princeton University Press. .
- 2002. “Religiosity and Tolerance in the United States and Poland.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 41:267–288. .
- 2001. “Education and Survival: Birth Cohort, Period, and Age Effects.” Demography 38:551–561.
- 2008. “Changing Public Opinion on Same-Sex Marriage: The Case of California.” Politics & Policy 36:4–30. and .
- 1988. Baby Boomers. New York: Norton.
- 2001. “America's Liberalization in Attitudes toward Homosexuality, 1973–1998.” American Sociological Review 66:762–782. .
- 1983. Dimensions of Tolerance: What Americans Believe about Civil Liberties. New York: Russell Sage Foundation. and .
- 2005. “Gay Marriage, Same-Sex Parenting, and America's Children.” The Future of Children 15:97–115. and .
- 1997. “Trends in American Public Opinion: A Cohort Analysis of Shifting Attitudes from 1972–1990.” Behaviormetrika 24:179–191. and .
- 1988. “Trends in Political Tolerance.” Public Opinion Quarterly 52:1–25. .
- 1978. Tolerance for Nonconformity. San Francisco, CA: Jossey-Bass. , , and .
- 1997. The Aging Baby Boom: Implications for Employment and Training Programs. Washington, DC: The Urban Institute. .
- 2006. “New Approaches to Understanding Racial Prejudice and Discrimination.” Annual Review of Sociology 32:299–328. .
- 2002. Hierarchical Linear Models: Applications and Data Analysis. 2d ed. Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications. and .
- 2004. “Cohorts, Chronology, and Collective Memory.” Public Opinion Quarterly 68:217–254.
- 1998. America the Wise: The Longevity Revolution and the True Wealth of Nations. New York: Houghton Mifflin. .
- 2012. “Educational Attainment in the United States: 2009.” Current Population Reports. U.S. Census Bureau, Population Division. Retrieved September 28, 2012 (http://www.census.gov/prod/2012pubs/p20-566.pdf). and .
- 1965. “The Cohort as a Concept in the Study of Social Change.” American Sociological Review 30:843–861.
- 2009. “The Polls—Trends: Tolerance in the United States.” Public Opinion Quarterly 73:404–431. and .
- 2010. “Period and Cohort Effects on Religious Non-Affiliation and Religious Disaffiliation: A Research Note.” Journal for the Scientific Study of Religion 49:311–319. .
- 2011. “Age, Period, and Cohort Effects on Religious Activities and Beliefs.” Social Science Research 40:181–192. .
- 2010. “Race, Religion, and Opposition to Same-Sex Marriage.” Social Science Quarterly 91:80–98. , , and .
- 2010. American Swastika: Inside White Power Movement's Hidden Spaces of Hate. Lanham, MD: Rowman & Littlefield. and .
- 2009. “Prediction in Multilevel Generalized Linear Models.” Journal of the Royal Statistical Society, Series A 172:659–687. and .
- 1983. “The Polls: American Attitudes toward the Soviet Union and Communism.” Public Opinion Quarterly 47:277–292.
- 2011. General Social Surveys, 1972–2010 Cumulative Codebook. Chicago, IL: National Opinion Research Center, University of Chicago. , , and .
- 1980. “The Influence of the Religious Factor on Civil and Sacred Tolerance, 1958–71.” Social Forces 58:811–832.
- 2007. “A Confirmatory Factor Analysis of the Attitudes toward Lesbians and Gay Men (ATLG) Measure.” Journal of Homosexuality 52:189–209. and .
- 1955. Communism, Conformity & Civil Liberties: A Cross-Section of the Nation Speaks Its Mind. New Brunswick, NJ: Transaction Publishers. .
- 1982. Political Tolerance and American Democracy. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. , , and .
- 2002. “How Cohorts, Education, and Ideology Shaped A New Sexual Revolution on American Attitudes Toward Nonmarital Sex, 1972–1998.” Sociological Perspectives 45:267–283. .
- 2001. “Deconstructing Categories: The Exposure of Silent Racism.” Symbolic Interaction 24:141–163. .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2007. “Table A-1. Years of School Completed by People 25 Years and Over, by Age and Sex: Selected Years 1940 to 2006.” Retrieved June 14, 2007 (http://www.census.gov/population/www/socdemo/educ-attn.html).
- 2001. All the Rage: The Story of Gay Visibility in America. Chicago, IL: University of Chicago Press. .
- 1975. “Residence, Moral Traditionalism, and Tolerance of Atheists.” Social Forces 54:328–340. and .
- 1976. “Recent Patterns of Secularization: A Problem of Generations?” American Sociological Review 41:850–867. .
- 1997. “Attitudes toward Homosexuality.” Public Opinion Quarterly 61:477–507. .
- 2008. “Social Inequalities in Happiness in the United States, 1972 to 2004: An Age-Period-Cohort Analysis.” American Sociological Review 73:104–226. .
- 2006. “A Mixed-Models Approach to the Age-Period-Cohort Analysis of Repeated Cross-Section Surveys, with an Application to Data on Trends in Verbal Test Scores.” Sociological Methodology 36:75–97. and .
- 2008. “Age-Period-Cohort Analysis of Repeated Cross-Section Surveys: Fixed or Random Effects.” Sociological Methods & Research 36:297–326. and .
- 2013. Age-Period-Cohort Analysis: New Models, Methods, and Empirical Applications. Boca Raton, FL: CRC Press. and .