Sources of Funding: This study was funded by Janssen Animal Health, Beerse, Belgium, which was acquired by Elanco in July 2011.
The joint in vitro action of polymyxin B and miconazole against pathogens associated with canine otitis externa from three European countries
Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
© 2013 The Authors. Veterinary Dermatology published by John Wiley & Sons on behalf of the ESVD and ACVD.
This is an open access article under the terms of the Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs License, which permits use and distribution in any medium, provided the original work is properly cited, the use is non-commercial and no modifications or adaptations are made.
Volume 24, Issue 4, pages 439–e97, August 2013
How to Cite
Pietschmann, S., Meyer, M., Voget, M. and Cieslicki, M. (2013), The joint in vitro action of polymyxin B and miconazole against pathogens associated with canine otitis externa from three European countries. Veterinary Dermatology, 24: 439–e97. doi: 10.1111/vde.12037
Conflict of Interest: Michael Cieslicki is a full-time employee of Elanco. Michael Voget is head of ECON GmbH, a Contract Research Organization mainly involved in regulatory affairs for the pharmaceutical industry. Silvia Pietschmann and Michael Meyer have stated that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Issue published online: 13 JUL 2013
- Article first published online: 31 MAY 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 APR 2013
- 8The Molecular Basis of Antibiotic Action. 2nd edn. London: Wiley & Sons, 1981: 175–257., , et al.
- 19Identification and antimicrobial susceptibility of coagulase positive staphylococci isolated from healthy dogs and dogs suffering from otitis externa. J Vet Med B Infect Dis Vet Public Health 2002; 49: 419–423., .
- 25Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute. Methods for Dilution Antimicrobial Susceptibility Tests For Bacteria That Grow Aerobically: Approved Standard. . Document M7-A8. 8th edn. Wayne, PA: Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute, 2009.
- 27R Development Core Team. R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. ISBN 3-900051-07-0. Available at: www.r-project.org/. Accessed Dec 10, 2012.
- 30In vitro antimicrobial activity of miconazole and polymyxin B against canine meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus and meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus pseudintermedius isolates. Vet Dermatol 2012; 23: 381–385., , et al.
- 32The advantage of bactericidal drugs in the treatment of infection. Curr Infect Dis Rep 2004; 6: 251–253., .
- 33The Merck Veterinary Manual. Available at: www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/70900.htm. Accessed Dec 10, 2012.
- 38Instructions to authors. Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2005; 49: 1–20. Available at: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1305751/. Accessed Dec 10, 2012.
- 39Defining fractional inhibitory concentration index cutoffs for additive interactions based on self-drug additive combinations, Monte Carlo simulation analysis, and in vitro-in vivo correlation data for antifungal drug combinations against Aspergillus fumigatus. J Antimicrob Agents Chemother 2010; 54: 602–609., , et al.
- 40European Medicines Agency, Veterinary Medicines. European Public Report. Easotic. 2008. Available at: www.ema.europa.eu/docs/en_GB/document_library/EPAR_-_Scientific_Discussion/veterinary/000140/WC500063875.pdf. Accessed Dec 10, 2012.