The authors declare no conflict of interest.
Respiratory arrest following ingestion of wild mushrooms in 3 dogs (2006–2011)
Article first published online: 19 SEP 2013
© Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care Society 2013
Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care
Volume 23, Issue 6, pages 605–609, November/December 2013
How to Cite
Brandin, A. C., Meola, S. D. and Mazzaferro, E. M. (2013), Respiratory arrest following ingestion of wild mushrooms in 3 dogs (2006–2011). Journal of Veterinary Emergency and Critical Care, 23: 605–609. doi: 10.1111/vec.12097
- Issue published online: 4 DEC 2013
- Article first published online: 19 SEP 2013
- Manuscript Accepted: 2 AUG 2013
- Manuscript Received: 7 JAN 2012
- mushroom toxicosis
To describe the clinical course, treatment, and outcome of 3 dogs with respiratory arrest following mushroom ingestion.
Case Series Summary
Three dogs were presented for mushroom toxicosis that developed respiratory arrest. Two of the dogs were treated with diazepam just prior to the development of respiratory arrest; 1 dog received no medications prior to respiratory arrest. Of the 3 dogs, 1 was euthanized and the remaining 2 recovered fully with assisted and mechanical ventilation.
New or Unique Information Provided
This is the first documentation of respiratory arrest associated with mushroom toxicosis in dogs.