Estimation of the Rate of Egg Contamination from Salmonella-Infected Chickens
Article first published online: 7 FEB 2013
© 2013 Crown copyright. This article is published with the permission of the Controller of HMSO and the Queen's Printer for Scotland
Zoonoses and Public Health
Volume 61, Issue 1, pages 18–27, February 2014
How to Cite
Arnold, M. E., Martelli, F., McLaren, I. and Davies, R. H. (2014), Estimation of the Rate of Egg Contamination from Salmonella-Infected Chickens. Zoonoses and Public Health, 61: 18–27. doi: 10.1111/zph.12038
- Issue published online: 27 JAN 2014
- Article first published online: 7 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 5 JUL 2012
- UK Department for Environment, Food and Rural Affairs. Grant Number: OZ0332
- 2010: Estimation of the sensitivity of environmental sampling for detection of Salmonella Enteriditis in commercial egg-laying flocks relative to the within-flock prevalence. Epidemiol. Infect. 138, 330–339. , , and ,
- 2011: A comparison of pooled and individual bird sampling for detection of salmonella in commercial egg laying flocks. Prev. Vet. Med. 99, 176–184. , , and ,
- 2008: Comparison of environmental sampling methods for detecting Salmonella in commercial laying flocks in the UK. Lett. Appl. Microbiol. 47, 514–519. , , , , and ,
- 2008: Bacteriological detection of Salmonella enteriditis in eggs: a review. Rev. Sci. Tech. 27, 657–664. , and ,
- 2009: Isolation of Salmonella enterica in laying-hen flocks and assessment of eggshell contamination in France. J. Food. Protect. 72, 2071–2077. , , , , and ,
- 1999: Comparison of methods for estimation of individual-level prevalence based on pooled samples. Prev. Vet. Med. 39, 211–225. , and ,
- 1988: Salmonella enteritidis phage type 4 infection: association with hen's eggs. Lancet 2, 1295–1297. , , , , , and ,
- 2004: Observations on Salmonella contamination of eggs from infected commercial laying flocks where vaccination for Salmonella enterica serovar Enteritidis had been used. Avian Pathol. 33, 133–144. and ,
- Defra, 2007: UK national control programme for Salmonella in layers (gallus gallus).
- EFSA, 2006: Preliminary report on the analysis of the baseline study on the prevalence of Salmonella in laying hen flocks of Gallus Gallus. EFSA J. 81, 1–71.
- EFSA, 2007: Report of the Task Force on Zoonoses Data Collection on the Analysis of the baseline study on the prevalence of Salmonella in holdings of laying hen flocks of Gallus gallus. EFSA J. 97, 1–84.
- EFSA, 2010a: Scientific Opinion on a quantitative estimation of the public health impact of setting a new target for the reduction of Salmonella in laying hens. EFSA J. 8, 1546.
- EFSA, 2010b: Quantitative risk assessment of Salmonella Enteritidis in shell eggs in Europe. EFSA J. 8, 1588.
- 2005: Successful reduction of human Salmonella Enteritidis infection in England and Wales. Euro. Surveill. 10, E051117 051112. , and ,
- 2005: Foodborne general outbreaks of Salmonella Enteritidis phage type 4 infection, England and Wales, 1992–2002: where are the risks? Epidemiol. Infect. 133, 795–801. , , , and ,
- 2000: Laboratory Aspects of Salmonella. Salmonella in Domestic Animals. CAB International, Eds and . , , .
- 2009: Probabalistic model for contamination of egg dishes with Salmonella spp made from shell eggs produced on the Island of Ireland. Int. J. Food Microbiol. 135, 187–192. , , , , and ,
- 1996: Salmonella enteritidis, phase type 4 infection in a commercial layer flock in southern California: bacteriologic and epidemiologic findings. Avian Dis. 40, 665–671. , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2007: Survey of Salmonella contamination of non-United Kingdom-produced raw shell eggs on retail sale in the northwest of England and London, 2005 to 2006. J. Food. Protect. 70, 2259–2265. , , , , and ,
- 2008: Survey of Salmonella contamination of raw shell eggs used in food service premises in the United Kingdom, 2005 through 2006. J. Food. Protect. 71, 19–26. , , , , and ,
- 2000: WinBUGS - a Bayesian modelling framework: concepts, structure, and extensibility. Stat. Comput. 10, 325–337. , , , and ,
- 2001a: Differences among six Salmonella serovars in abilities to colonize reproductive organs and to contaminate eggs in laying hens. Avian Dis. 45, 61–69. , , , , and ,
- 2001b: Differences in abilities to colonize reproductive organs and to contaminate eggs in intravaginally inoculated hens and in vitro adherences to vaginal explants between Salmonella enteritidis and other Salmonella serovars. Avian Dis. 45, 962–971. , , , , and ,
- 2001: Non-typhoidal salmonellosis: emerging problems. Microbes Infect. 3, 237–247. , and ,
- 2011: Salmonella occurrence in chicken eggs and environmental samples and their sero-prevalence in laying hens. Indian J. Anim. Sci. 81, 1087–1088. , and ,
- 1990: International increase in Salmonella enteritidis: a new pandemic? Epidemiol. Infect. 105, 21–27. , and ,
- 2002: Bayesian measures of model complexity and fit. J. R. Statist. Soc. B 64, 583–640. , , , and ,
- 2006: Semiquantitative assessment of the distribution of Salmonella in the environment of caged layer flocks. J. Appl. Microbiol. 101, 309–318. , and ,
- 2007: A longitudinal study of environmental Salmonella contamination in caged and free-range layer flocks. Avian Pathol. 36, 187–197. , , , and ,
- 1998: Salmonella in raw shell eggs in Northern Ireland: 1996–7. Communicable Disease and Public Health 1, 156–160. , and ,