All work was performed at the University of California, Davis.
Salmonella Oranienburg Isolated from Horses, Wild Turkeys and An Edible Home Garden Fertilized with Raw Horse Manure
Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2013
© 2013 Blackwell Verlag GmbH
Zoonoses and Public Health
Volume 61, Issue 1, pages 64–71, February 2014
How to Cite
Jay-Russell, M. T., Madigan, J. E., Bengson, Y., Madigan, S., Hake, A. F., Foley, J. E. and Byrne, B. A. (2014), Salmonella Oranienburg Isolated from Horses, Wild Turkeys and An Edible Home Garden Fertilized with Raw Horse Manure. Zoonoses and Public Health, 61: 64–71. doi: 10.1111/zph.12043
- Issue online: 27 JAN 2014
- Version of Record online: 20 FEB 2013
- Manuscript Received: 15 AUG 2012
- 2012: Salmonellosis in Horses. The Merck Veterinary Manual Online. Merck Sharp & Dohme Corp, Whitehouse, NJ. , and ,
- 2000: Salmonella enterica serotype Oranienburg infections associated with consumption of locally produced Tyrolean cheese. Euro. Surveill. 5, 123–126. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2006: Interpretation of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis patterns in foodborne disease investigations and surveillance. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 3, 20–31. , , and ,
- 2009: The impact of home and community gardening in America. Available at: http://www.gardenresearch.com/files/2009-Impact-of-Gardening-in-America-White-Paper.pdf (accessed on 15 August 2012). ,
- California Department of Fish and Game (CDFG), 2004: Strategic plan for wild turkey management. State of California, Sacramento, CA.
- 2011: The role of starlings in the spread of Salmonella within concentrated animal feeding operations. J. Appl. Ecol. 48, 479–486. , , , , and ,
- CDC, 2007: Salmonella Oranienburg infections associated with fruit salad served in health-care facilities–northeastern United States and Canada. MMWR Morb. Mortal. Wkly Rep. 56, 1025–1028.
- CDC, 2011a: National Enteric Disease Surveillance: Salmonealla surveillance Overview. US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA.
- CDC, 2011b: National Salmonella Surveillance Annual Data Summary, 2009. US Department of Health and Human Services, Atlanta, GA.
- 1993: Escherichia coli O157:H7 infection from a manured garden. Lancet 342, 367. , , , , , , and ,
- 1994: Salmonella contamination of the environment and its incidence in wild birds. Zentralbl. Veterinarmed. B 41, 320–327. , , , , and ,
- Clinical and Laboratory Standards Institute (CLSI), 2008: Development of In Vitro Susceptibility Testing Criteria and Quality Control Parameters. Approved guideline, 3rd ed., M23-A3. American National Standards Institute, Wayne, PA.
- 2012: Identification of predictors of Salmonella shedding in adult horses presented for acute colic. J. Vet. Intern. Med. 26, 1177–1185. , , , and ,
- 2004: Multidrug-resistant Salmonella and nosocomial infections. Vet. Clin. North Am. Equine Pract. 20, 587–600. , and ,
- 1998: Salmonella Oranienburg, Ontario. Can. Commun. Dis. Rep. 24, 177–179. , , , , , and ,
- 2004: Risk factors associated with fecal Salmonella shedding among hospitalized horses with signs of gastrointestinal tract disease. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 225, 275–281. , , , , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2011: Salmonella and produce: survival in the plant environment and implications in food safety. Virulence 2, 573–579. , and ,
- 1996: Control of an outbreak of salmonellosis caused by drug-resistant Salmonella anatum in horses at a veterinary hospital and measures to prevent future infections. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 209, 629–631. , , , and ,
- 2012: Salmonella enterica shedding in hospitalized horses and associations with diarrhea occurrence among their stable mates and gastrointestinal-related illness or death following discharge. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 240, 726–733. , , and ,
- 2011: Animal contact as a source of human non-typhoidal salmonellosis. Vet. Res. 42, 34. , , and ,
- 2006: Salmonella survival in manure-treated soils during simulated seasonal temperature exposure. J. Environ. Qual. 35, 1170–1180. , , , , and ,
- 1985: Salmonellosis in a wild turkey. J. Wildl. Dis. 21, 433–434. ,
- 2004: Persistence of Salmonella enterica serovar Typhimurium on lettuce and parsley and in soils on which they were grown in fields treated with contaminated manure composts or irrigation water. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 1, 27–35. , , , , , and ,
- 2011: Geographical and temporal dissemination of Salmonellae isolated from domestic animal hosts in the Culiacan Valley. Mexico. Microb. Ecol. 61, 811–820. , , and ,
- 2010: An outbreak of multidrug-resistant Salmonella enterica serotype Oranienburg in Michigan dairy calves. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 7, 1193–1201. , , , and ,
- 2002: Prevalence of Salmonella spp. in selected birds captured on California dairies. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 220, 359–362. , , and ,
- 1983: A report of an outbreak of Salmonella oranienburg in a hybrid mouse colony. Vet. Microbiol. 8, 105–109. , , , and ,
- 2006: Soil survival of Escherichia coli O157:H7 acquired by a child from garden soil recently fertilized with cattle manure. J. Appl. Microbiol. 101, 429–436. , , , , , and ,
- 2001: Treatment with Ca(OH)2 for inactivation of Salmonella Typhimurium and Enterococcus faecalis in soil contaminated with infected horse manure. J. Appl. Microbiol. 110, 1515–1523. , , , , and ,
- 2007: A review of Shiga toxin Escherichia coli and Salmonella enterica in cattle and free-ranging birds: potential association and epidemiological links. Human-Wildlife Conflicts Paper 129. Available at: http://digitalcommons.unl.edu/hwi/129 (accessed on 8 February 2013). , and ,
- 1973: Isolation of Salmonella from sparrows captured in horse corrals. Am. J. Trop. Med. Hyg. 22, 672–674. , , , , and ,
- 2006: Standardization of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis protocols for the subtyping of Escherichia coli O157:H7, Salmonella, and Shigella for PulseNet. Foodborne Pathog. Dis. 3, 59–67. , , , , , and ,
- 2008: Transmission of Salmonella between wildlife and meat-production animals in Denmark. J. Appl. Microbiol. 105, 1558–1568. , , , , , , , , and ,
- 2010: Salmonella infections in garden birds and cats in a domestic environment. Vet. Rec. 167, 26–27. , and ,
- 1995: Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing. J. Clin. Microbiol. 33, 2233–2239. , , , , , , and ,
- 2004: Salmonellosis in wild birds. Semin. Avian Exot. Pet Med. 13, 50–66. ,
- 1990: Epidemiologic study of Salmonellae shedding in the feces of horses and potential risk factors for development of the infection in hospitalized horses. J. Am. Vet. Med. Assoc. 196, 1617–1622. , , and ,
- 1991: An outbreak of equine neonatal salmonellosis. J. Vet. Diagn. Invest. 3, 223–227. , , , , , and ,