Fifty-eighth annual meeting of the american association of physicists in medicine
SU-F-T-19: The Consistency Dosimetric Analysis of the Accelerated Breast Brachytherapy
To assess the best approach in accept a treatment plan for APBI Savi patients. Should we run a treatment verification test prior to delivering it to the patient? Should we check each CT scan in regards to the initial one in dosimetrical terms? Do we need deformable registration and adaptive planning for each fraction? These are the questions we want to answer running a dosimetric analysis of the dose variances for APBI treatments who receive 10 fractions and no re-planning has been done being considered unnecessary with today's means of assessment.
A retrospective analysis of 30 patients treated with SAVI applicators were considered for this study. The CT scans taken before each treatment were imported in the treatment planning system and registered with the initial CT scan. The images were fused together with respective to the applicator, using landmark registration. Dosimetric evaluations were performed. Dose received by skin, ribs and PTV on CT images with respect to the initial treatment plan were recorded including maximum, average and minimum dose
All the structures displayed changes in volume over the 10 fractions of treatment. The cavities reduction in volume was considerable with a maximum reduction of over 10%. The PTV-eval is covered better due to this fact while the critical organs manifest an increase in the total and maximum dose delivered. Ribs and skin surface that are required by B39 protocol to be monitored can acquire maximum doses of 20% to 30% respectively.
A dosimetric evaluation prior to the initial treatment and prior to each of the 10 fractions is proven to be necessary. Deformable registration and adaptive planning have to be studied more and eventually implemented for every patient who received more than one fraction of any type of brachytherapy treatment. Immobilization ad localization methods must be improved and studied further