Project coordinator at United Nations University in Tokyo, Japan.
Energy Use in Sales and Distribution via E-Commerce and Conventional Retail: A Case Study of the Japanese Book Sector
Version of Record online: 8 FEB 2008
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 6, Issue 2, pages 99–114, April 2002
How to Cite
Williams, E. and Tagami, T. (2002), Energy Use in Sales and Distribution via E-Commerce and Conventional Retail: A Case Study of the Japanese Book Sector. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 6: 99–114. doi: 10.1162/108819802763471816
- Issue online: 8 FEB 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 FEB 2008
- BUWAL (Bundesamt für Umwelt, Wald und Land–schaft). 1996. Economic Inventory of Packaging Database (also known as BUWAL 250). Zurich : Swiss Federal Office of Environment, Forests and Landscape and the Swiss Packaging Institute.
- Census Bureau 2002. 2000 E–commerce multi–sector report. Washington DC : U.S. Census Bureau. www.census.goveoswwwebusiness614.htm. Accessed 5 September 2002.
- EDMC (Energy Data and Modeling Center). 2001. Enerugii Keizai Toukei Youran. [EDMC handbook of energy and economic statistics (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Energy Conservation Center.
- 2000. Life cycle assessment of an end–of–life passenger car in 2002. In Proceedings of the fourth international conference on ecobalance. Tokyo : Society for Non–Traditional Technology. and .
- Green Design Initiative. 2002. Economic input–output life cycle assessment. Pittsburgh : Carnegie Mellon University, Green Design Initiative. www.eiolca.net. Accessed 5 September 2002.
- 2001. Shuppan shihyou nenpou. [Publishing indicators annual (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Publishing Research Institute, National Publishing Industry Association (Zenkoku Shuppan Kyoukai).
- 2001. Environmental and economic effects of e–commerce: A case study of book publishing and retail logistics. Transportation Research Record 1763: 6–12. , , and .
- 2002. Energy implications of online book retailing in the United States and Japan. Environmental Impact Assessment Review 22: 493–507. , , , and .
- MCC (Microelectronics and Computer Technology Corporation). 1993. Environmental consciousness: A strategic competitiveness issue for the electronics and computer industry. Austin , TX : MCC.
- Ministry of Transport. 2000. Unyu kankei enerugii youran. [The survey on transport energy (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Ministry of Transport.
- 1998. Life cycle assessment of personal computers for the purpose of design for environment (in Japanese). Energy and Resources 19(1): 75–80. , , and .
- MLIT (Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport). 2001. Jidousha unsou toukei nenpou, 2000. [Truck shipping statistics annual, 2000 (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, and Transport.
- 2000. Life cycle inventory analysis for a truck. In Proceedings of the fourth international conference on ecobalance. Tokyo : Society for Non–Traditional Technology.
- ORNL (Oak Ridge National Laboratory). 1995. 1995 NPTS databook. Document no. ORNL/TM–2001/248. Oak Ridge , TN : ORNL.
- ORNL. 2002. 1995 NPTS analysis. Oak Ridge , TN : ORNL. wwwcta.ornl.govnpts1995docindex.shtml. Accessed 8 September 2002.
- 1999. Influence of inventory data sets on lifecycle assessment results: A case study on PVC. Journal of Industrial Ecology 2(3): 109–130. , , , and .
- 2002. The environmental impact of the new economy: Deutsche Telekom, telecommunications services and the sustainable future. In Ecology of the new economy, edited by J.Park and N.Roome. Sheffield , UK : Greenleaf Publishing. and .
- 2001. Energy effects associated with e–commerce: A case study concerning online sales of personal computers in the Netherlands. Journal of Environmental Management 62(3): 271–282. and .
- 1999. The Internet economy and global warming. Annandale , VA : The Center for Energy and Climate Solutions. www.coolcompanies.orgenergy. Accessed 8 September 2002. , , and .
- Seven–Eleven. 2000. Sebun irebun no yokogao. [Profile of Seven–Eleven (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Seven–Eleven Japan.
- Shigen Enerugii Seisakuka. 2001. Sougou enerugii toukei. [Integrated energy statistics (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Shigen Enerugii Choukan Kanbou Sougou Seisakuka.
- 2001. Watching Rome burn: PC empires threatened by extending life cycles. Doc. AV–14- 1972. Stamford , CT : Gartner.
- Statistics Bureau. 1998. 1998 national survey of family income and expenditure. Tokyo : Statistics Bureau, Management and Coordination Agency, Government of Japan.
- Tohan. 2001. Yoku wakaru shuppanryuutsuu no shikumi. [Introduction to the Distribution System for Books (in Japanese).] Tokyo : Tohan.
- U.S. DOE/EIA (U.S. DepartmentofEnergy/EnergyInformation Administration). 1994. Household vehicles energy consumption 1994. Document DOE/ EIA–0464(94). Washington , DC : Energy Information Administration, U.S. Department of Energy.
- 2001. Energy analysis of e–commerce and conventional retail distribution of books in Japan. In Sustainability in the Information Society, edited by L.Hilty and P.Gilgen. Marburg , Germany : Metropolis Verlag. and .