Senior engineer with the U.S. Department of Energy's National Bioenergy Center led by the National Renewable Energy Laboratory (U. S. DOE NREL) in Golden, Colorado, USA.
Energy and Environmental Aspects of Using Corn Stover for Fuel Ethanol
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2008
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 7, Issue 3-4, pages 117–146, July 2003
How to Cite
Sheehan, J., Aden, A., Paustian, K., Killian, K., Brenner, J., Walsh, M. and Nelson, R. (2003), Energy and Environmental Aspects of Using Corn Stover for Fuel Ethanol. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 7: 117–146. doi: 10.1162/108819803323059433
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2008
- AAEA (American Agricultural Economics Association). 2000. Commodity costs and returns estimation handbook. Ames , IA : AAEA.
- 2002. Lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol process design and economics utilizing co-current dilute acid prehydrolysis and enzymatic hydrolysis for corn stover. NREL/TP-510-32438. Golden , CO : National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , , , , and
- 2001. Quantifying the change in greenhouse gas emissions due to natural resource conservation practice application in Iowa. Fort Collins , CO : Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University. , , , , , , , , , and
- CSU-NREL (Colorado State University Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory). 2001. CENTURY soil organic matter model version 5: User's guide and reference (draft). Fort Collins , CO : Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University.
- 1994a. Emissions of greenhouse gases from the use of transportation fuels and electricity. Volume 1, Main Text. Argonne , IL : Argonne National Laboratory.
- 1994b. Emissions of greenhouse gases from the use of transportation fuels and electricity. Appendices A–S, Vol. 2. Argonne , IL : Argonne National Laboratory.
- 2003. Comparing the land requirements, energy savings, and greenhouse gas emissions reduction of biobased polymers and bioenergy: An analysis and system extension of life-cycle assessment studies. Journal of Industrial Ecology 7(3–4): 93–116. , , and
- EIA (Energy Information Agency). 1996. 1995 electric utility net generation by NERC region and fuel type. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Energy.
- 1998. Corn stover collection project. Paper presented at Bioenergy 1998-Expanding Bioenergy Partnerships, 4–8 October, Madison, WI. , , and
- 2000. A geographic information system-based modeling system for evaluating the cost of delivered energy crop feedstock. Biomass and Bioenergy: 309–329. , , and
- 1987. Genetic engineering of eth-anol production in Escherichia coli. Applied and Environmental Microbiology 53(10): 2420–2425. , , , , and
- 1991. Ethanol production by E. coli strains co-expressing Zymomonas PDC and ADH genes. Washington , DC : U.S. Patent Office. , , and
- IPCC (International Panel on Climate Change). 1996. Module 4: Agriculture. In Revised 1996 IPCC guidelines for national greenhouse gas inventories. Paris : IPCC.
- ISO (International Standards Organization). 1997. ISO 14040: Environmental management: Life cycle assessment-Principles and framework. Geneva : ISO.
- ISO. 1998. ISO 14041: Environmental management: Life cycle assessment-Goal and scope definition and inventory analysis. Geneva : ISO.
- 1979. Crop residues: Energy production or erosion control? Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 34(2): 74–76.
- 1992. Fuel ethanol from corn residue prehydrolysate by a patented ethanologenic Escherichia coli B. Biotechnology Letters 24(5): 421–426. and
- 1979. Tillage and crop residue effects on soil erosion in the corn belt. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 34(2): 80–82. , , , , and
- 1981. Crop and residue removal and tillage. Agriculture Information Bulletin Number 442. Washington , DC : United States Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service. , , , , and
- 2002. High-value renewable energy from prairie grasses. Environmental Science and Technology: 2122–2129. , , , , , , and
- 1999. Soil erosion and the Iowa Soil 2000 Program. PM-1056. Ames , IA : Iowa State University, University Extension. , , , , and
- NASS (National Agricultural Statistics Service). 1994. Field crops: Final estimates 1987–93. Washington , DC : NASS.
- NASS 1998. Field crops: Final estimates 1992–97. Washington , DC : NASS.
- NASS 2001. Crop production December 2001. Washington , DC : NASS.
- NASS 2003. Crop production: 2002 summary. Washington , DC : NASS.
- 2002. Resource assessment and removal analysis for corn stover and wheat straw in the eastern and Midwestern United States: Rainfall and wind erosion methodology. Biomass and Bio-energy: 349–363.
- NREL (National Renewable Energy Laboratory). 2001. Internal chemical analysis report: Elemental composition of corn stover. Golden , CO : NREL.
- 1994. Modelling soil organic matter dynamics and plant productivity in tropical ecosystems. In The Biological Management of Tropical Soil Fertility, edited by P. L.Woomer and M. J.Swift. New York : Wiley.
- 2001. CENTURY tutorial: Supplement to CENTURY user's manual. Fort Collins , CO : Natural Resources Ecology Laboratory, Colorado State University. , , , and
- 1988. Dynamics of C, N, P, and S in grassland soils: A model. Biogeochemistry 5: 109–131. , , and
- 1997a. Management controls on soil carbon. In Soil organic matter in temperate agroecosystems: Long term experiments in North America, edited by E. A.Paul, E. T.Elliott, K.Paustian, and C. V.Cole. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press, Inc. , , and
- 1997b. Modeling soil carbon in relation to management and climate change in some agroecosystems in central North America. In Soil Processes and the Carbon Cycle, edited by R.Lal, J.Kimble, R.Follett, and R.Stewart. Boca Raton , FL : CRC Press. , , and
- 1995. Soil organic matter changes resulting from tillage and biomass production. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 50(3): 253–261. , , , , and
- 1999. Effect of residue management and controlled traffic on carbon dioxide and water loss. Soil and Tillage Research: 153–165. , , , , , and
- 1996. Predicting soil erosion by water: A guide to conservation planning with the revised universal soil loss equation. Agri-cultural Handbook No. 703. Washington , DC : Agricultural Research Service, USDA. , , , , and
- 1982. Corn stover harvest for energy production. Transactions of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers 25(4): 834–839, 844. , , and
- 1994. Total fuel cycle emissions analysis of biomass-ethanol transportation fuel. In Alternative Fuels and the Environment, edited by F. S.Sterrett. Ann Arbor , MI : Lewis. and
- 2002. Is ethanol from corn stover sustainable? (draft). Golden , CO : National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , , , , , , , and
- 1998. Life cycle inventory ofbio-diesel and petroleum diesel for use in an urban bus. NREL/SR-580-24089. Golden , CO : National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , , and
- 1970. Wind erosion equation: Computer solution and application. Soil Science Society of America Journal: 931–935. , , and
- 1979. Crop residue management for wind erosion control in the Great Plains. Journal of Soil and Water Conservation 34(2): 90–94. , , and
- 2002. Engineering aspects of collecting corn stover for bioenergy. Biomass and Bioenergy: 347–355. , , , and
- U.S. DOE (U.S. Department of Energy). 2002. The effects of the Alaska oil and natural gas provisions of H.R. 4 and S. 1766 on U.S. energy markets. Washington , DC : Energy Information Administration, U.S. DOE.
- U.S. EPA (U.S. Environmental Protection Agency). 2000. Model year 2000 fuel economy guide. Washington , DC : U.S. EPA.
- U.S. EPA 2002. Certified vehicle test result report data (updated 1/24/02). Washington , DC : Office of Transportation and Air Quality, U.S. EPA. (www.epa.otaq.gov). Accessed December 2003.
- 2001. Green energy or organic food? A lifecycle assessment comparing two uses of setaside land. Journal of Industrial Ecology 5(3): 65–88. , , , , , and
- 1997. Fuel-cycle fossil energy use and greenhouse gas emissions of fuel ethanol produced from U.S. Midwest corn. Argonne , IL : Argonne National Laboratory. , , and
- 1999. Effects of fuel ethanol use on fuel-cycle energy and greenhouse gas emissions. ANL/ESD-38. Argonne , IL : Argonne National Laboratory. , , and
- 2000. On the road in 2020. Energy Laboratory Report #MIT EL 00-003. Cambridge , MA : Energy Laboratory, Massachusetts Institute of Technology. , , , , and
- 1998. To what end? In Consilience: The unity of knowledge. New York : Knopf.
- 1965. Predicting rainfall-erosion losses from cropland east of the Rocky Mountains: Guide for selection of practices for soil and water conservation. Washington , DC : Soil Conservation Service, USDA. and
- 1999a. Process design and costing of bioethanol technology: A tool for determining the status and direction of research and development. Biotechnology Progress: 794–803. , , , and
- 1999b. Lignocellulosic biomass to ethanol process design and economics utilizing co-current dilute acid prehydrolysis and enzymatic hydrolysis: Current and future scenarios. NREL TP-580-26157. Golden , CO : National Renewable Energy Laboratory. , , , and
- 1995. Metabolic engineering of a pentose metabolism pathway in ethanologenic zymomonas mobilis. Science 267:240–243. , , , and