Executive editor of Environmental Building News (EBN) and president of BuildingGreen, Inc., publisher of EBN and the GreenSpec Directory of green building products, based in Brattleboro, Vermont, USA.
Small is Beautiful U.S. House Size, Resource Use, and the Environment
Article first published online: 8 FEB 2008
Journal of Industrial Ecology
Volume 9, Issue 1-2, pages 277–287, January 2005
How to Cite
Wilson, A. and Boehland, J. (2005), Small is Beautiful U.S. House Size, Resource Use, and the Environment. Journal of Industrial Ecology, 9: 277–287. doi: 10.1162/1088198054084680
- Issue published online: 8 FEB 2008
- Article first published online: 8 FEB 2008
- 1998. Personal communication with J. Abrams, Builder, South Mountain Company, Chilmark, MA, December.
- 1998. Personal communication with G. Ahluwalia, Director of Research, National Association of Home Builders, Washington, DC, December.
- Chenal Valley. 2003. Chenal Valley wooded hills neighborhoods. http:<www.cindyloux-cole.comwoodedhills.htm>. Accessed 13 September 2003.
- Cupertino Municipal Code. 1999. Title 19 Zoning, Chapter 19.40 Residential Hillside (RHS) Zones. Accessed online (site address unknown) January 1999.
- 1999. Personal communication with D. Foley, Holland and Foley Building Design, January.
- 1998. Personal communication with J. Knott, Developer, Dewees Island subdivision, December.
- 1994. Wood products used in new single-family house construction: 1950 to 1992. Forest Products Journal 44(11/12): 66–74. and
- NAHB (National Association of Home Builders). 2001. Housing facts, figures, and trends. http:<www.nahb.orgfileUploaddetails.aspxcontentTypeID7>. Accessed 13 September 2003.
- NAHB. 2003. Personal communication with N. Gaffney, Director of Environmental Communications, and G. Ahluwalia, Director of Research, July.
- 1999. Energy modeling performed by Andy Shapiro using REM/Rate (Residential Energy Analysis and Rating Software v8.41), 6 January 1999.
- 1997. Spring Glen subdivision, phase I: Declaration of covenants, conditions & restrictions. http:<www.mcre.bizspringglen.htm>. Accessed February 2005.
- 1998. The not so bighouse: A blueprint for the way we really live. Newtown , CT : Taunton Press.
- 2002a. Creating the not so big house: Insights and ideas for the new American home. Newtown , CT : Taunton Press.
- 2002b. Not so big solutions for your home. Newtown , CT : Taunton Press.
- Taunton Press. 2003. Personal communication with I. Woelfle, Public Relations Manager, Shelter & Home building Department, September 18.
- 1998. Personal communication with G.Tully, AIA, Architect, Steven Winter Associates, Nor-walk, CT, December.
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2001 American housing survey for the United States: 2001.
- 1999. Personal communication with A. Wakefield, Fulton County, Georgia Department of Environment & Community Development, January.