Improving the Health and Lives of People Living in Slums
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
© 2008 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1136, Reducing the Impact of Poverty on Health and Human Development: Scientific Approaches pages 298–306, June 2008
How to Cite
Sheuya, S. A. (2008), Improving the Health and Lives of People Living in Slums. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136: 298–306. doi: 10.1196/annals.1425.003
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
- 1UN-HABITAT. 2006. The State of the World's Cities Report 2006/2007. Earthscan.
- 2UNFPA. 2007. State of world population 2007—unleashing the potential of urban growth. http://www.unfpa.org/swp/2007/presskit/pdf/sowp2007_eng.pdf.
- 3UN-HABITAT. 2003. The Challenge of Slums. Earthscan. London .
- 4WHO. 2005. Action on the social determinants of health: learning from previous experiences. Kobe Centre.
- 5Ontario Prevention Clearinghouse, Ontario Chronic Disease Prevention Alliance and the Canadian Cancer Society. 2007. Primer to action: social determinants of health. http://firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 6WHO. 2005. A billion voices: listening and responding to the needs of slum dwellers and informal settlers in new settings. Kobe Centre.
- 7UN. 2007. The Millennium Development Goals Report 2007. New York .
- 9World Bank. 2001. World Development Report 2000/2001. Oxford University Press. Oxford .
- 11UNCHS. 1996. An Urbanising World: Global Report on Human Settlements. Oxford University Press. Nairobi .
- 122004. The Under-estimation of Urban Poverty in Low and Middle-income Nations. International Institute for Development and Development. London .
- 13UNDP. 2006. Human Development Report 2006. Beyond Scarcity: Power, Poverty and the Global Water Crisis. UNDP. New York .
- 17UNCHS. 1989. Improving Income and Housing: Employment Generation in Low-Income Settlements. UNCHS. Nairobi .
- 192004. Housing transformations and urban livelihoods in informal settlements. The Case of Dar es Salaam, Tanzania. SPRING Research Series No. 45 Dortmund.
- 202002. Empowerment and Poverty Reduction: A Sourcebook. World Bank. Washington .
- 212006. What Is the Evidence on Effectiveness of Empowerment to Improve Health? WHO Regional Office for Europe (Health Evidence Network report). Copenhagen .
- 23Rakodi, C. & T.Lloyd-Jones, Eds. 2002. Urban Livelihoods. Earthscan. London .
- 24UCLAS & NIGP. Community Based Settlement Upgrading Hanna Nassif Settlement, Kinondoni, Dar es Salaam: Final Project Report (unpublished).
- 252003. Community-designed, built and managed toilet blocks in Indian cities. Environment and Urbanization 15: 11–36., & .