Long-Term Effects of Head Start on Low-Income Children
Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2008
© 2008 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1136, Reducing the Impact of Poverty on Health and Human Development: Scientific Approaches pages 257–268, June 2008
How to Cite
Ludwig, J. and Phillips, D. A. (2008), Long-Term Effects of Head Start on Low-Income Children. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136: 257–268. doi: 10.1196/annals.1425.005
- Issue online: 25 JUL 2008
- Version of Record online: 25 JUL 2008
- 12000. From Neurons to Neighborhoods. National Academies Press. Washington , DC .& .
- 32005. Lifetime Effects: The High/Scope Perry Preschool Study Through Age 40. High/Scope Press. Ypsilanti , Michigan ., , , et al .
- 42002. Early childhood education: young adult outcomes from the Abecedarian Project. Applied Development Science 6: 42–57., , , et al .
- 52006. The High/Scope Perry Preschool Program: cost-benefit analysis using data from the age-40 followup. Journal of Human Resources. XLI: 162–190., , & .
- 62007. Comparative benefit-cost analysis of the Abecedarian Program and its policy implications. Economics of Education Review 26: 1–144.& .
- 72007. Success by Ten: Intervening Early, Often and Effectively in the Education of Young Children. Washington , DC : Brookings Institution, Hamilton Project Discussion Paper 2007-02.& .
- 8Westinghouse Learning Corporation. 1969. The Impact of Head Start: An Evaluation of the Effects of Head Start on Children's Cognitive and Affective Development. Executive Summary. Ohio University Report to the Office of Economic Opportunity. Washington , DC : Clearinghouse for Federal Scientific and Technical Information, June 1969.
- 92005. The Birth of Head Start: Preschool Education Policies in the Kennedy and Johnson Administrations. University of Chicago Press. Chicago .
- 102000. It's Time to Stop Head Start. Human Events, September 1, 2000.
- 112005. Head Start's Broken Promise. American Enterprise Institute , On the Issues.
- 121995. Does Head Start make a difference? American Economic Review 85: 341–364.& .
- 152005. Head Start Impact Study: First Year Findings. Westat. Report Prepared for the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services., , , et al .
- 172002. A theory of government regulation of addictive bads: optimal levels and tax incidence for cigarette excise taxation. NBER Working Paper 8777. Cambridge , MA .& .
- 182002. Do cigarette taxes make smokers happier? NBER Working Paper 8872. Cambridge , MA .& .
- 191977. Statistical Power Analysis for the Behavioral Sciences. Academic Press. New York .
- 202005. Randomizing groups to evaluate place-based programs. In Learning More from Social Experiments: Evolving Analytic Approaches. Howard S.Boom, Ed. Russell Sage Foundation. New York .
- 222007. Head Start participation and childhood obesity. Paper presented at the Allied Social Science Association Meetings, January 2007 Chicago.
- 231995. Does Head Start make a difference? American Economic Review 85: 341–364.& .
- 242007. The benefits and costs of Head Start. Cambridge , MA : National Bureau of Economic Research Working Paper 12973.& .
- 252005. Placing the first-year findings of the National Head Start Impact Study in context. Brief prepared for the Society for Research in Child Development. http://srcd.org/documents/policy/Impactstudy.pdf.
- 292005. The effects of universal pre-K on cognitive development. Working Paper, Georgetown University, Center for Research on Children in the United States ., , & .
- 302005. The effects of state prekindergarten programs on young children's school readiness in five states. Rutgers University, National Institute for Early Education Research ., & .
- 312005. Promoting school readiness in Oklahoma: an evaluation of Tulsa's pre-K program. Journal of Human Resources XL(3): 533–558.& .
- 322004. Does prekindergarten improve school preparation and performance? NBER Working Paper 10452. Cambridge , MA ., & .
- 332006. Issues for the Learning Community From the First Year Results of the Head Start Impact Study. Plenary Presentation to the Head Start Eighth National Research Meeting, June 27, 2006.
- 342006. Opportunity in America: the role of education. Brookings Institution. Washington , DC .