Poverty and Elimination of Urban Health Disparities
Challenge and Opportunity
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
© 2008 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1136, Reducing the Impact of Poverty on Health and Human Development: Scientific Approaches pages 111–125, June 2008
How to Cite
Thomas, S. B. and Quinn, S. C. (2008), Poverty and Elimination of Urban Health Disparities. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136: 111–125. doi: 10.1196/annals.1425.018
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
- 11962. The Other America. Macmillan Publishing Company. New York .
- 21903. The Souls of Black Folk. A.C. McClurg & Co. Chicago.
- 72007. Obama calls for ouster of official after remark. In New York Times. October 21, 2007, Politics section. Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/10/21/US/politics/21justice.html#.
- 8U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Public Health Service. 1991. Healthy People 2000: National Health Promotion and Disease Prevention Objectives. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service. Washington , DC .
- 9U.S. Department of Health and Human Services Public Health Service. 2000. Healthy People 2010: Understanding and Improving Health. U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Service. Washington , DC .
- 112007. Income, poverty, and health insurance coverage in the United States: 2006. In Current Population Reports. U.S. Census Bureau, Ed. U.S. Government Printing Office., & .
- 12Bureau of U.S. Department of Commerce. Press Release. August 28th 2007 [cited April 15, 2008]; Available at: http://www.census.gov/Press-Release/www/releases/archives/income_wealth/010583.html.
- 171996. Dismantling Segregation: The Quiet Reversal of Brown v. Board of Education. New York Press. New York .& .
- 181995. Toward a theory of race, crime, and urban inequality. In Crime and Inequality. J.H.A.R.Peterson, Ed. Stanford University Press. Stanford , CA .& .
- 20Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 2007. Eliminating Racial & Ethnic Health Disparities. [cited October 24, 2007]; Available at: http://www.cdc.gov/omh/AboutUs/disparities.htm.
- 25Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). 1997. Principles of Community Engagement. P.H.P.P.Office, Ed. CDC/ATSDR Committee on Community Engagement. Atlanta , GA .
- 26National Research Council. 2001. New Horizons in Health: An Integrative Approach. Washington , DC .
- 27Institute of Medicine. 2000. Promoting Health: Intervention Strategies from Social and Behavioral Research. Washington , DC .
- 28Institute of Medicine. 2001. Health and Behavior: The Interplay of Biological, Behavioral and Societal Influences. Washington , DC .
- 29Office of Behavioral and Social Sciences Research. 2001. Progress and Promise in Research on Social and Cultural Dimensions of Health: A Research Agenda. Bethesda , MD .
- 322006. Creating healthier cities: where do we go from here? In Cities and the Health of the Public. N.Freudenberg, S.Galea & D.Vlahov, Eds.: 327–343. Vanderbilt University Press. Nashville , TN ., & .
- 34National Heart Lung and Blood Institute. 2003. NHLBI issues new high blood pressure clinical practice guidelines. In NIH News. May 14, 2003. Available at: http://www.nhlbl.nih.gov/new/press/03-05-14.htm
- 35National Institute of Diabetes and Digestive and Kidney Diseases. 2006. Diabetes Prevention Program. [cited November 1, 2007]; Available at: http://www.diabetes.niddk.nih.gov/dm/pubs/preventionprogram/index.htm.
- 362006. Interventions to improve urban health. In Cities and the Health of the Public. N.Freudenberg, S.Galea & D.Vlahov, Ed.: 294–326. Vanderbilt University Press. Nashville , TN .