The Effect of Poverty on Child Development and Educational Outcomes
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
© 2008 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1136, Reducing the Impact of Poverty on Health and Human Development: Scientific Approaches pages 243–256, June 2008
How to Cite
Engle, P. L. and Black, M. M. (2008), The Effect of Poverty on Child Development and Educational Outcomes. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136: 243–256. doi: 10.1196/annals.1425.023
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
- 11992. Poverty Comparisons: A Guide to Concepts and Methods. Living Standards Measurement Study Working Paper 88, World Bank, Washington .
- 21995. The Political Economy of Targeting. In Public Spending and the Poor: Theory and Evidence. D.Van De Walle & K.Nead, Eds.: 11–24. Johns Hopkins University Press. Baltimore .
- 32007. Poverty and the politics of exclusion. In Moving Out of Poverty Volume 1: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Mobility. Palgrave MacMillian and The World Bank. Washington , DC .
- 42002. Voices of the Poor: From Many Lands. Oxford University Press for the World Bank. New York .& .
- 52007. Agency, opportunity structure and poverty escapes. In Moving Out of Poverty: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Mobility. D.Narayan & P.Petesch, Eds.: Palgrave MacMillian and The World Bank. Washington , DC .& .
- 62007. Escaping poverty and becoming poor in three states of India, with additional evidence from Kenya, Uganda, and Peru. In Moving Out of Poverty: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Mobility. D.Narayan & P.Petesch, Eds.: Palgrave MacMillian and The World Bank. Washington , DC .
- 82006. A Vision for Universal Preschool Education. Cambridge University Press. New York ., & .
- 91999. The Transition to Kindergarten. Paul H. Brooks. Baltimore .& .
- 142002. Inequality at the starting gate: Social background differences in achievement as children begin school. Econonomic Policy Institute. Washington , DC .& .
- 16National Institute of Child Health and Human Development Early Child Care Research Network. 2005. Duration and developmental timing of poverty and children's cognitive and social development from birth through third grade. Child Dev. 76: 795–810.
- 17EFA Global Monitoring Report Team. 2006. EFA Global Monitoring Report 2007: Strong foundations: Early childhood care and education. UNESCO. Paris .
- 182006. Characteristics of children who drop out of school and comments on the drop-out population compared to the population of out-of-school population. Background paper for EFA Global Monitoring Report 2007.
- 192005. The use of socioeconomic gradient lines to judge the performance of school systems. Paper presented at SACMEQ Research Conference, Paris , Sept 28-Oct 2., & .
- 252006. Assessing the Educational Indicators in the Kids Count Data Book. Annie E Casey Foundation. Baltimore .
- 261994. Ecological models of human development. In Effects on Child and Adolescent Development, Vol. 2nd edtn: 1643–1647. Elsevier Science. New York .
- 272000. Ecological perspectives on developmental risk. In WAIMH Handbook of Infant Mental Health, Vol. 4. J.Osofsky & H.Fitzgerald, Eds.: 4–33. Wiley. New York .
- 301990. The Foundations of Social Theory: 1014. Harvard University Press. Cambridge , MA .
- 311995. Meaningful differences in the Everyday Experience of Young American Children. Earlbaum. New York .& .
- 332005. The Working Poor: Invisible in America. Alfred A. Knopf. New York .
- 402005. Financial strain, neighborhood stress, parenting behaviors, and adolescent adjustment in urban African American Families. J. Customer Serv. 15: 425–449.& .
- 442001. Temperament. Blackwell. Malden , MA .& .
- 502002. Promoting school readiness: the role of the Parents as Teachers Program. NHSA Dialog, 6, 71–86., & .
- 511998. Preventing reading difficulties. Committee on the Prevention of Reading Difficulties in Young Children, Commission on Behavioral and Social Sciences and Education, National Academy Press. Washington , DC ., & .
- 52Federal Interagency Forum on Child and Family Statistics. 2002. America's children: Key national indicators of well-being, 2002. US Government Printing Office. Washington , DC . http://www.childstats.gov/ac2002/index.asp.
- 552000. Transactional regulation: The developmental ecology of early intervention. In Handbook of Early Childhood Intervention. J.Shonkoff & S.Meisels, Eds.: 135–159. Cambridge University Press. New York .& .
- 562007. Moving Out of Poverty: Cross-Disciplinary Perspectives on Mobility. Palgrave MacMillian and The World Bank. Washington , DC .& .
- 592004. The medium term impact of oportunidades on child growth and development in rural areas of Mexico. Instituto Nacional de Salud Publica. Cuernavaca , Mexico .& .
- 602005. Lifetime Effects: The High/Scope Perry Preschool Study through Age 40. Monographs of the High/Scope Educational Research Foundation (No. 14). High Scope Press. Ypsilanti , MI .et al.
- 612002. Early Childhood Education: Young Adult Outcomes From the Abecedarian Project. Appl. Dev. Sci. 6: 42–57.et al.
- 651999. The Children of the Cost, Quality, and Child Outcomes Study Go to School: Technical Report. Frank Porter Graham Child Development Center, University of North Carolina. Chapel Hill .
- 662001. A critical meta-analysis of all impact evaluations of state-funded preschool from 1977 to 1998: implications for policy, service delivery, and program evaluation: Early Childhood Research Quarterly 15, 441–473.& .
- 711992. The Twelve Who Survive. Routledge/UNESCO London.
- 811990. Enhancing the outcomes of low-birth-weight, premature infants. A multisite, randomized trial. The Infant Health and Development Program. JAMA 263: 3035–3042.
- 832006. Children's Nutrition, School Quality, and Primary School Enrollment in the Philippines. Population Council. http://www.unicef.org/earlychildhood/index_resources.html. New York , NY .et al.
- 842007. Early intervention and caregiving: evidence from the Uganda nutrition and early child development program child and health education. Child Health Educ. 1: 112–133., & .
- 852007. Integrated Childhood Development Services in Nicaragua. Child Health Educ. 1: 87–111.et al.
- 862007. How to avoid the loss of potential in over 200 million young children in the developing world. Child Health Educ. 1: 68–87., , , et al.
- 882003. Foreword to Pathways Out of Poverty: Private Firms and Economic Mobility in Developing Countries. G.S.Fields & G.Pfefferman, Eds. Kluwer. Boston .