The Chinese Social Benefit System in Transition
Reforms and Impacts on Income Inequality
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
© 2008 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1136, Reducing the Impact of Poverty on Health and Human Development: Scientific Approaches pages 342–347, June 2008
How to Cite
Gao, Q. (2008), The Chinese Social Benefit System in Transition. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136: 342–347. doi: 10.1196/annals.1425.025
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
- 2Riskin, C., R.Zhao & S.Li, Eds. 2001. China's Retreat from Equality: Income Distribution and Economic Transition. M. E. Sharpe, Inc. Armonk , NY .
- 31989. Chinese social welfare: policies and outcomes. China Quart. 119: 577–597.
- 61998. Marginalization and Social Welfare in China. Routledge/London School of Economics. London , New York .
- 71999. Social welfare reform: trends and tensions. China Quart. 159: 684–699.
- 82006. The social benefit system in urban China: reforms and trends from 1988 to 2002. J. East Asian Stud. 6: 31–67.
- 102004. Poverty and Inequality and Social Policy in China. London : Centre for Analysis of Social Exclusion, London School of Economics . http://sticerd.lse.ac.uk/dps/case/cp/CASEpaper87.pdf.& .
- 112002. Labour market reform and the plight of the laid-off proletariat. China Quart. 170: 304–326.
- 122003. Zhongguo Chengshi Pinkun yu Fanpinkun Baogao (Report on Poverty and Anti-Poverty in Urban China). Huaxia Press. Beijing , China ., & .
- 132008. Explaining China's changing inequality: market vs. social benefits. In Creating Wealth and Poverty in Contemporary China. D.Davis & F.Wang, Eds. Stanford University Press. Palo Alto , CA . In press.& .
- 142008. Social benefits in urban China: determinants and impacts on income inequality in 1988 and 2002. In Understanding Inequality and Poverty in China: Methods and Applications. G.Wan, Ed. Palgrave Macmillan. Hampshire , UK .
- 152007. How effective is the Minimum Living Standard Assistance policy in urban China? Paper presented at the IARIW-NBS International Conference on Experiences and Challenges in Measuring National Income and Wealth in Transition Economies, September 18–21, 2007, Beijing., & .
- 162007. Social assistance receipt and its importance for combating poverty in urban China. Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA) Discussion Paper No. 2758 . Bonn , Germany .& .
- 172003. Urban poverty in China: Measurements, patterns and policies. International Labour Office , InFocus Programme on Socio-Economic Security Research Paper. Geneva .
- 182007. The effects of social assistance on poverty reduction: Evidence from household surveys in urban China. Paper presented at the International Conference on Policy Perspectives on Growth, Economic Structures and Poverty Reduction, June 2007 Beijing, China.& .
- 192003. China's rural health system in a changing institutional context. Institute of Development Studies Working Paper No. 194. Brighton , UK .& .
- 252005. Quanguo liudong renkou shuliang shiniannei fanfan, chaoguo renkou zongshu de 10% (Total number of migrants doubled within 10 years, making up more than 10% of total population). Xinhua Net, as cited in China Net, available online at http://www.china.org.cn/chinese/renkou/748584.htm, accessed on 25 October, 2006. Beijing , China .& .