Role of Income and Family Influence on Child Outcomes
Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
© 2008 New York Academy of Sciences
Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences
Volume 1136, Reducing the Impact of Poverty on Health and Human Development: Scientific Approaches pages 307–323, June 2008
How to Cite
Heckman, J. J. (2008), Role of Income and Family Influence on Child Outcomes. Annals of the New York Academy of Sciences, 1136: 307–323. doi: 10.1196/annals.1425.031
- Issue published online: 25 JUL 2008
- Article first published online: 25 JUL 2008
- 12006. Interpreting the evidence on life cycle skill formation. In Handbook of the Economics of Education, chap. 12. E.A.Hanushek & F.Welch, Eds.: 697–812. North-Holland. Amsterdam ., , & .
- 82008. The economics and psychology of personality traits. Forthcoming, J. Hum. Resour., , & .
- 102006. Genes and Behavior: Nature–Nurture Interplay Explained. Blackwell Publishers. Oxford , UK .
- 112005. The Fetal Matrix: Evolution, Development, and Disease. Cambridge University Press. Cambridge , UK .& .
- 121993. Human Capital: A Theoretical and Empirical Analysis, with Special Reference to Education, 3rd ed. University of Chicago Press. Chicago , IL .
- 132007. Twin Research and Human Genetics: Genetics, Social Behaviors, Social Environments and Aging, Vol. 10. Australian Academic Press. Brisbane , Queensland Australia .(Ed).
- 211999. Developmental trajectories, early experiences, and community consequences: Lessons from studies with rhesus monkeys. In Developmental Health and the Wealth of Nations: Social, Biological, and Educational Dynamics. D.P.Keating & C.Hertzman, Eds.: 185–200. The Guilford Press. New York NY .
- 232003. Socioeconomic status modifies heritability of IQ in young children. Psychol. Sci. 14: 623–628., , , et al.Direct Link:
- 252003. Human capital policy. In Inequality in America: What Role for Human Capital Policies? J.J.Heckman, A.B.Krueger & B.M.Friedman, Eds.: 77–239. MIT Press. Cambridge , MA .& .
- 262006. Preschool, daycare, and afterschool care: who's minding the kids? In Handbook of the Economics of Education, Volume 2 of Handbooks in Economics, chap. 20. E.Hanushek & F.Welch, Eds.: 1163–1278. North-Holland. Amsterdam .& .
- 272004. Accounting for the effect of schooling and abilities in the analysis of racial and ethnic disparities in achievement test scores. Unpublished manuscript, University of Chicago, Department of Economics ., & .
- 282006. Schooling, statistics and poverty: measuring school improvement and improving schools. Inaugural Lecture, Division of Social Sciences, University of Chicago .
- 311994. The Language Instinct: How the Mind Creates Language. W. Morrow and Co. New York .
- 321975. Ten-year stability of verbal and nonverbal IQ scores. Am. Educ. Res. J. 12: 469–477.& .
- 352001. The effect of a social experiment in education. Technical Report W01/11, Institute for Fiscal Studies, University College London . http://www.ifs.org.uk/wps/wp011.pdf& .
- 362006. Estimating marginal and average returns to education. Unpublished manuscript, University of Chicago, Department of Economics ., & .
- 372006. Investing in our young people. Unpublished manuscript, University of Chicago, Department of Economics .& .
- 382004. Benefit–cost analysis of preschool education. PowerPoint presentation, http://nieer.org/resources/files/BarnettBenefits.ppt.
- 391995. Does Head Start make a difference? Am. Econ. Rev. 85: 341–364.& .
- 452007. The changing role of family income and ability in determining educational achievement. J. Hum. Cap. 1: 37–89.& .
- 461997. Income effects across the life span: integration and interpretation. In Consequences of Growing Up Poor. G.Duncan & J.Brooks-Gunn, Eds.: 596–610. Russell Sage Foundation. New York .& .
- 472005. The impact of family income on child achievement. Working Paper 11279, NBER. Amer. Econ. Rev., in press.& .
- 492006. The effects of income in the early years on child outcomes. Unpublished manuscript, Northwestern University .& .
- 502005. Lifetime Effects: The High/Scope Perry Preschool Study Through Age 40. High/Scope Press. Ypsilanti , MI ., , , et al.
- 511994. The Bell Curve: Intelligence and Class Structure in American Life. Free Press. New York .& .
- 522004. The effect of schooling and ability on achievement test scores. J. Econ. 121: 39–98., & .
- 532008. Formulating, identifying and estimating the technology of cognitive and noncognitive skill formation. J. Hum. Resour.& .
- 541950. Childhood and Society. Norton. New York .
- 562004. Evidence for an early sensitive period for the development of brain systems underlying social affiliative behavior. Unpublished manuscript, Oregon National Primate Research Center .
- 582007. The roles of emotion regulation and emotion knowledge for children's academic readiness: are the links causal? In School Readiness and the Transition to Kindergarten in the Era of Accountability. R.C.Pianta, M.J.Cox & K.L.Snow, Eds. Brookes Publishing. Baltimore , MD ., & .
- 592003. Interpreting the evidence of family influence on child development. In The Economics of Early Childhood Development: Lessons for Economic Policy, Minneapolis, Minnesota, October 17 2003. The Federal Reserve Bank. Presented at “The Economics of Early Childhood Development: Lessons for Economic Policy Conference.” Minneapolis Federal Reserve Bank , Minneapolis , MN ., & .
- 602000. From Neurons to Neighborhoods: The Science of Early Child Development. National Academies Press. Washington , DC .& .
- 611991. A Treatise on the Family, Enlarged edition. Harvard University Press. Cambridge , MA .
- 622004. Early and late human capital investments, credit constraints, and the family. Unpublished manuscript, University of Western Ontario, Department of Economics .& .
- 651985. Meaningful Differences in the Everyday Experience of Young American Children. P.H. Brookes. Baltimore , MD .& .
- 662006. Changing Rhythms of American Family Life. Russell Sage Foundation. New York , NY ., & .
- 681997. What Money Can't Buy: Family Income and Children's Life Chances. Harvard University Press. Cambridge , MA .
- 731994. Descartes' Error: Emotion, Reason, and the Human Brain. Putnam. New York .
- 741996. The Emotional Brain: The Mysterious Underpinnings of Emotional Life. Simon and Schuster. New York .
- 751996. On the Role of Incentives in the Formation of Human Capital in the Family. Ph.D. thesis, University of Chicago .
- 772008. The impact of the Perry Preschool program on noncognitive skills of participants. Unpublished manuscript, University of Chicago, Department of Economics ., , , et al.
- 782007. Estimating the technology of cognitive and noncognitive skill formation. Unpublished manuscript, University of Chicago, Department of Economics . Presented at the Yale Conference on Macro and Labor Economics, May 5–7, 2006. Under revision, Econometrica., & .
- 801998. Mothers, Babies and Health in Later Life, 2nd ed. Churchill Livingstone. Edinburgh .
- 822008. Food, Economics and Health. Oxford University Press. Oxford , Forthcoming.