Preventive Care in the Emergency Department: Screening for Domestic Violence in the Emergency Department
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2003 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 10, Issue 10, pages 1118–1127, October 2003
How to Cite
Anglin, D. and Sachs, C. (2003), Preventive Care in the Emergency Department: Screening for Domestic Violence in the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine, 10: 1118–1127. doi: 10.1197/S1069-6563(03)00371-3
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received March 20, 2002; revisions received February 11, 2003; revisions received March 13, 2003; accepted March 20, 2003
- 2Violence Against Women Act of 1994. Violent Crime Control and Law Enforcement Act of 1994, Title IV Violence Against Women; P.L. #103322.
- 3The Commonwealth Fund. Health concerns across a woman's lifespan: The Commonwealth Fund 1998 survey of women's health. New York , NY : The Commonwealth Fund, 1999.
- 4Prevalence, incidence, and consequences of violence against women: Findings from the National Violence Against Women Survey. Pub. No. NCJ 172837. Washington , DC : National Institute of Justice and the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 1998., .
- 5United States Department of Justice. Federal Bureau of Investigation. Crime in the United States—2001. Uniform Crime Reports.
- 7American Medical Association. Diagnostic and Treatment Guidelines on Domestic Violence. Chicago , IL : American Medical Association, 1992.
- 8Guide to Clinical Preventive Services; Report of the U.S. Preventive Services Task Force (ed 2). Baltimore , MD : Williams & Wilkins, 1996.
- 10Prevalence of domestic violence in community practice and rate of physician inquiry. Fam Med. 1992; 24:382–7., , .
- 12The effects of woman abuse on health care utilization and health status: a literature review. Women's Health Issues. 1992; 2:1154–73..
- 13Wife abuse in the medical setting: an introduction for health personnel. Monograph no. 7. Washington , DC : Office of Domestic Violence, 1981., , , , , .
- 14The battered woman. Am Fam Phys. 1988; 377:193–9., .
- 21American College of Obstetrics and Gynecologists. ACOG technical bulletin no. 209: Domestic violence. Int J Gynaecol Obstet. 1995; 51:161–70.
- 22Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Accreditation Manual for Hospitals. Vol 1—standards. Oakbrook Terrace , IL : Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations, 1992.
- 23U.S. Preventive Services Task Force. Guide to Clinical Preventive Services, ed 3, 2000–2003. Available at: www.ahcpr.govcliniccosix.htm. Accessed Jan 20, 2003.
- 24for the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group. Preventive care in the emergency department, Part I: clinical preventive services—are they relevant to emergency medicine Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1036–41., , ,
- 25for the Society of Academic Emergency Medicine Public Health and Education Task Force Preventive Services Work Group. Preventive care in the emergency department, Part II: clinical preventive services: an emergency medicine evidence-based review. Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1042–54., , ,
- 27The Cochrane Collaboration Handbook, The Cochrane Library Version 3.0.2. Oxford, United Kingdom: Update Software, 1997.
- 29Internet Grateful Med V2.6.3. Available at: http://www.igm.nlm.nih.gov. Accessed Mar 27, 2001.
- 30PubMed. Available at: www.ncbi.nlm.nih.goventrezquery.fcgi. Accessed Jan 20, 2003.
- 31Emergency Medical Abstracts. Available at: www.ccme.orgEMA. Accessed Jan 20, 2003.
- 32Evidence-Based Medicine Working Group. User's guide to the medical literature. Available at: http://hiru.hirunet.mcmaster.caebmuserguid. Accessed Jun 18, 1999.
- 39Identification of domestic violence in the emergency department. N J Nurse. 2002; 32:15., .
- 54American College of Emergency Physicians. Emergency medicine and domestic violence. Ann Emerg Med. 1995; 25:442–3.
- 55American Academy of Family Practice: family violence. Am Fam Physician. 1994; 50:1636–46.
- 57Emergency Nurses Association. Position statement: Domestic Violence. Park Ridge , IL : Emergency Nurses Association, 1996.
- 58California Legislature, Assembly Bill 890, 1993. Section 1259.5 Health and Safety Code. Available at: http://www.leginfo.ca.govpub93-94billasmab_0851_0900ab_890_bill_931011_chaptered. Accessed Aug 18, 2003.
- 59Family Violence Prevention Fund. State-by-state report card on health care laws and domestic violence. August 2000. Available at: www.fvpf.orgstatereportindex.htm. Accessed Jan 20, 2003.
- 60Uniform definitions and Recommended Elements: intimate Partner Violence Surveillance. Atlanta , GA : National Center for Injury Prevention and Control, Center for Disease Control and Prevention. 1999., , , .
- 62Effects of domestic violence on children. In: TricketPK, ShellenbachCJ, (eds). Violence Against Children in the Family and the Community. Washington , DC : American Psychological Association, 1998, pp 57–101..