The Emerging Imperative for Health Care Quality Improvement
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
© 2002 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 11, pages 1078–1084, November 2002
How to Cite
Kizer, K. W. (2002), The Emerging Imperative for Health Care Quality Improvement. Academic Emergency Medicine, 9: 1078–1084. doi: 10.1197/aemj.9.11.1078
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
- Received July 30, 2002;accepted July 31, 2002
- The Dartmouth Atlas of Health Care. Chicago , IL : American Hospital Publishing, Inc., 1998. (ed).
- How good is the quality of health care in the United States? Milbank Q. 1998;76:509, 517-63. , ,
- To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health Care System. Washington , DC : National Academy Press, 1999. , , .
- Quality of medical care delivered to Medicare beneficiaries: a profile at state and national levels. JAMA. 2000; 284:1670–6. , , et al.
- The President's Advisory Commission on Consumer Protection and Quality in the Health Care Industry Quality First: Better Health Care for All Americans. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, 1998.
- Midwest Business Group on Health. Reducing the Costs of Poor-Quality Health Care Through Responsible Purchasing Leadership. Chicago , IL , 2002.
- Measuring underuse of necessary care among elderly Medicare beneficiaries using inpatient and outpatient claims. JAMA. 2000;284:2325–33. , , , , .
- The urgent need to improve health care quality. Institute of Medicine National Roundtable on Health Care Quality. JAMA. 1998; 280:1000–5. , .
- Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington , DC : National Academy Press, 2001. , , (eds).
- Health care spending during 1991-1998: a fifty-state review. Health Aff. 2002; 21:112–26. , , , , .
- Improving the quality of health care: who will lead? Health Aff. 2001;20:164–79. ,
- Patient safety: a call to action. A consensus statement from the National Quality Forum. MedScape Gen Med. Mar 21, 2001. Website: www.medscape.com/medscape/generalmedicine/journal/2001/v03.n02.
- CDC campaign targets antimicrobial resistance in hospitals. JAMA. 2002; 287:2351–2. .
- Improving Outcomes and Reducing Costs in Adult Cardiac Surgery. Boston , MA : Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 1999. , , , , , .
- Reducing Costs and Improving Outcomes in Adult Intensive Care. Boston , MA : Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 1998. , , , .
- Milbank Memorial Fund. Value purchasers in health care: seven case studies. Monograph, New York , 2001.
- As Good as It Should Get: Making Health Care Better in the New Millennimum. Washington , DC : The National Coalition on Health Care, 1998. .
- Effect of improved glycemic control on health care costs and utilization. JAMA. 2001; 285:182–9. , , , , , .
- O'Connor PJ Improving diabetes care: organize your office, intensify your care. J Am Board Fam Pract. 2001;14:320–2.
- Cost—effectiveness of practice-initiated quality improvement for depression. Results of a randomized controlled trial. JAMA. 2001; 286:1325–30. , , et al.
- Reducing the cost of frequent hospital admissions for congestive heart failure. Med Care. 2001; 39:1234–45. , , .
- Impact of a targeted asthma intervention program on treatment costs in patients with asthma. Am J Med Care. 2001;7:897–906. , , , , .
- Bailit Health Purchasing The Growing Case for Using Physician Incentives to Improve Health Care Quality. Washington , DC : National Health Care Purchasing Institute, 2001.
- Bailit Health Purchasing Provider Incentive Models for Improving Quality of Care. Washington , DC : National Health Purchasing Institute, 2002.
- Establishing health care performance standards in an era of consumerism. JAMA. 2001;286:1213–7. .
- The National Quality Forum. DMCO. 2001; III(Summer): 71–3. .
- Organizational culture as a source of high reliability. Calif Manage Rev. 1987; 29:112–27. .
- From a culture of safety to a culture of excellence: quality science, human factors, and the future of healthcare quality. J Innov Manage. 2002;7:29–46. , .
- Organizational culture and quality of health care. Qual Health Care. 2000;9:111–9. , , .