Measuring and Improving Quality in Emergency Medicine
Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2008
© 2002 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 11, pages 1091–1107, November 2002
How to Cite
Graff, L., Stevens, C., Spaite, D. and Foody, J. (2002), Measuring and Improving Quality in Emergency Medicine. Academic Emergency Medicine, 9: 1091–1107. doi: 10.1197/aemj.9.11.1091
- Issue online: 8 JAN 2008
- Version of Record online: 8 JAN 2008
- Received July 16, 2002;accepted July 16, 2002
- Demanding Medical Excellence. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1997, p 142. .
- Evaluating the quality of medical care. Milbank Q. 1966; 44(3, suppl): 166–206. .
- Quality—can we measure it? N Engl J Med. 1977; 296:170–2.
- Improving quality can reduce costs. Qual Assur Rev. 1989; 1(1): 4. .
- Continuous improvement as an ideal in health care. N Engl J Med. 1989; 320:53–6. .
- Clinical decision making: from theory to practice. Guidelines for policy statements: the explicit approach. JAMA. 1990; 263:2239–40, 2243. .
- The urgent need to improve health care quality. Institute of Medicine National Roundtable on Health Care Quality. JAMA. 1998; 280:1000–5. , .
- Enhancing performance measurement: NCQA's road map for a health information framework. National Committee for Quality Assurance. JAMA. 1999; 282:1184–90. , , , , .
- ORYX requirements simplified. Jt Comm Perspect. 1999; 19(3): 4.
- Improving the safety of health care: the Leapfrog Initiative. Eff Clin Pract. 2000; 3(6): 313–6. , , , , .
- The unintended consequences of measuring quality on the quality of medical care. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:1147–50. .
- Market Driven Health Care. Reading , MA : Addison-Wesley, 1997. .
- Demanding Medical Excellence. Chicago : University of Chicago Press, 1997, p 12. .
- Institute of Medicine To Err Is Human: Building a Safer Health System. Washington , DC : National Academy Press, 1999.
- Institute of Medicine Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century. Washington , DC : National Academy Press, 2001.
- Building a proactive culture through creative leadership. In: Lowery, JE(ed). CultureShift: A Leader's Guide to Managing Change in Health Care. Chicago : American Hospital Association, 1997. .
- A short history of managing for quality in health care. In: Caldwell, C(ed). The Handbook for Managing Change in Health Care. Milwaukee , WI : American Society for Quality, 1997. .
- Quality of medical care delivered to Medicare beneficiaries: profile at state and national level. JAMA. 2000; 284:1670–6. , , et al.
- Evaluating quality of care for patients with heart failure. Circulation. 2000; 101:e101–e140. , , et al.
- Beta blockade during and after myocardial infarction: an overview of the randomized trials. Prog Cardiovasc Dis. 1985;27:335–71. , , , , .
- Beta-blockade after myocardial infarction: systematic review and meta regression analysis. BMJ. 1999;318:1730–7. , , , , .
- ISIS-2 (Second International Study of Infarct Survival) Collaborative Group Randomized trial of intravenous streptokinase, oral aspirin, both, or neither among 17,187 cases of suspected acute myocardial infarction: ISIS-2. Lancet. 1988;2:349–60.
- Fibrinolytic Therapy Trialists' (FTT) Collaborative Group Indications for fibrinolytic therapy in suspected acute myocardial infarction: collaborative overview of early mortality and major morbidity results from all randomised trials of more than 1000 patients. Lancet. 1994; 343:311–22.
- ACE Inhibitor Myocardial Infarction Collaborative Group Indications for ACE inhibitors in the early treatment of acute myocardial infarction: systematic overview of individual data from 100,000 patients in randomised trials. Circulation. 1998;97:2202–12.
- Guidelines for the initial management of adults with community acquired pneumonia: diagnosis, assessment of severity, and initial therapy. American Thoracic Society. Am Rev Respir Dis. 1993;148:1418–26. , , et al.
- Treatment of community-acquired pneumonia—IDSA guidelines. Infectious Diseases Society of America. Chest. 1999; 115:9S-13S. .
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Clinical policy for management and risk stratification of community acquired pneumonia in adults in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 38:107–13. , , et al.
- Do `America's best hospitals' perform better for acute MI? N Engl J Med. 1999; 340:286–92. , , , ,
- Triage of patients for a rapid (5-minute) electrocardiogram: a rule based on presenting chief complaints. Ann Emerg Med. 2000;36:554–60. , , , .
- A statewide initiative to improve the care of hospitalized pneumonia patients: the Connecticut Pathway Project. Am J Med. 2001;111:203–10. , , et al.
- Effects of a pneumonia clinical pathway on time to antibiotic treatment, length of stay, and mortality. Acad Emerg Med. 1999;6:1243–8. , , , .
- Improved outcomes with implementation of emergency department observation units within a multihospital network. J Qual Improve. 2000;26:421–7. , , et al.
- Impact on the care of the emergency department chest pain patient from the Chest Pain Evaluation Registry (CHEPER) study. Am J Cardiol. 1997;80:563–8. , , et al.
- False-negative and false-positive errors in abdominal pain evaluation: failure to diagnose acute appendicitis and unnecessary surgery. Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1244–55. , , et al.
- Does reduced length of stay decrease the number of emergency department patients who leave without seeing a physician? J Emerg Med. 1997;15:397–9. , ,
- Rapid process redesign in a university-based emergency department: decreased waiting time intervals and improving patient satistaction. Ann Emerg Med. 2002; 39:168–77. , , et al.
- Using the online and offline change model to improve efficiency for fast track patients in an emergency department. J Qual Improve. 2000;26:503–14. , , et al.
- Reducing errors made by emergency physicians in interpreting radiographs: longitudinal study. Br Med J. 2000; 320:737–40. , .
- Misplaced endotracheal tubes by paramedics in an urban emergency medical services system. Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 37:32–7. , .
- A comparison of blind nasotracheal and succinylcholine assisted intubation in the poisoned patient. Ann Emerg Med. 1987;16:650–2. , , , , .
- Analysis of intubations: before and after establishment of a rapid sequence intubation protocol for air medical use. Air Med J. 1994;13:475–8. , , .
- Measuring Quality Improvement in Health Care: A Guide to Statistical Process Control Applications. New York : Quality Resources, 1995. , .
- Statistical Process Control for Health Care. Pacific Grove , CA : Duxbury, 2002. , .
- The Improvement Guide: A Practical Approach to Enhancing Organizational Performance. San Francisco , CA : Jossey-Bass Publishers, 1996. , , , .
- Changing physician performance: a systematic review of the effect of continuing medical education strategies. JAMA. 1995;274:700–5. , , , .
- A qualitative study of increasing beta blocker use after myocardial infarction: why do some hospitals succeed? JAMA. 2001; 285:2604–11. , , , , ,
- Patients evaluate their hospital care: a national survey. Health Aff. 1991; 10:254–67. , , et al.
- Medical treatment effectiveness research: a view from inside the Agency for Health Care Policy and Research. Eval Health Prof. 1991; 14:161–86. , .
- Assessment and accountability: the third revolution in medical care. N Engl J Med. 1988;319:1220–2. .
- Effectiveness in health care: an initiative to evaluate and improve medical practice. N Engl J Med. 1988; 319:1197–202. , , et al.
- Approaching the outcomes question. In: Kane, RL(ed). Understanding Health Care Outcomes Research. Gaithersburg , MD : Aspen Publishers, 1997, pp 1–17, 127-89. .
- Comorbidity. In: Kane, RL(ed). Understanding Health Care Outcomes Research. Gaithersburg , MD : Aspen Publishers, 1997, pp 153–74. .
- Risk and outcomes. In: Iezzoni, L(ed). Risk Adjustment for Measuring Healthcare Outcomes, 2nd Edition. Chicago : Health Administration Press, 1997, pp 1–41. .
- Emergency Medical Services Outcomes Project I (EMSOP I): Prioritizing conditions for outcomes research. Ann Emerg Med. 1999; 33:423–32. , , et al.
- Emergency Medical Services Outcomes Project (EMSOP) II: Developing the foundation and conceptual models for prehospital outcomes research. Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 37:657–63. , , et al.
- Eleven working aims for clinical leadership of health system reform. JAMA. 1994;272:797–802. .
- Harvesting knowledge from improvement. JAMA. 1996; 275:877–8. .
- What Is Total Quality Control? Englewood Cliffs , NJ : Prentice-Hall, 1985, pp 46–9. .
- Relationship of clinical indicators and practice guidelines. Qual Rev Bull. 1990;16(2): 16–60. .
- The cost of quality in health care. Emerg Med Clin North Am. 1992;10:549–56. , .
- How patients evaluate the quality of ambulatory medical encounters: a marketing perspective. J Health Care Market. 1990; 10:6–15. .
- Measuring Customer Satisfaction: Development and Use of Questionnaires. Milwaukee , WI : ASQC Press, 1992. .
- Telephone vs. mail response to an emergency department patient satisfaction survey. Acad Emerg Med. 1998; 5:1121–3. , , .
- Time spent by patients in the emergency room: survey at the New York Hospital. N Y State Med. 1971; 71:1243–6. , , .
- Analysis of patient flow in the emergency room. Mt Sinai J Med. 1977;44:551–9. , .
- Time study of an emergency room: identification of sources of patient delay. Ill Med J. 1984;166:437–40. .
- Time study of patient movement through the emergency department: sources of delay in relation to patient acuity. Ann Emerg Med. 1987; 16:1244–8. .
- Keys to patient satisfaction in the emergency department: results of a multiple facility study. Hosp Health Serv Admin. 1996; 41:515–32. , .
- Emergency department satisfaction: what matters most? Ann Emerg Med. 1993;22:586–91. , ,
- Reducing waits and delays and improving patient satisfaction in the emergency department. Boston , MA : Institute for Healthcare Improvement, 1999. , , .
- Emergency department patient satisfaction: customer service training improves patient satisfaction and ratings of physician and nurse skill. J Healthcare Manage. 1998; 43:427–40. , , et al.
- Perceptions and satisfaction with emergency department care. J Emerg Med. 1996;14:679–83. , .
- Effects of actual waiting time, perceived waiting time, information delivery, and expressive quality on patient satisfaction in the emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1996; 28:657–65. , , et al.
- Patients who leave a public hospital emergency department without being seen by a physician. JAMA. 1991; 266:1085–90. , , .
- Consequences of queuing for care at a public hospital emergency department. JAMA. 1991; 266:1091–5. , , et al.
- Use of continuous quality improvement to facilitate patient flow through the triage and fast-track areas of an emergency department. J Emerg Med. 1995;13:847–55. , .
- Continuous quality improvement reduces length of stay for fast-track patients in an emergency department. Acad Emerg Med. 1996;3:258–63. , , .
- Determinants of patient satisfaction and willingness to return with emergency care. Ann Emerg Med. 2000; 35:426–34. , , et al.
- Patients' perceptions of the health care received in an emergency department. Ann Emerg Med. 1991; 20:734–8. , .
- Effect of emergency department information on patient satisfaction. Ann Emerg Med. 1992;22:568–72. , .
- Relating patient satisfaction to waiting time perceptions and expectatons: the disconfirmation paradigm. Acad Emerg Med. 1995; 12:1057–62. , .
- Waiting in the emergency room: how to improve patient satisfaction. J Health Care Market. 1993; 13:26–33. , , .
- Emergency department patients who leave without seeing a physician: the Toronto Hospital experience. Ann Emerg Med. 1994;24:1092–6. , , et al.
- Treatment differences between blacks and whites with colorectal cancer. Med Care. 1996;34:970–84. , .
- Racial and ethnic differences in the use of invasive cardiac procedures among cardiac patients in Los Angeles County, 1986 through 1988. Am J Public Health. 1995; 85:352–6. , , .
- Racial/ethnic differences in health care utilization of cardiovascular procedures: a review of the evidence. Health Serv Res. 1995;30(1, part 2): 237–52. , .
- The use of health services by women with HIV infection. Health Serv Res. 1993;28:543–61. .
- Access to care in Medicare HMOs, 1996. Health Aff. 1997;16(2): 148–56. , , et al.
- Physician Payment Review Commission. Monitoring Access of Medicare Beneficiaries, No. 95-1. Washington , DC : PPRC, 1995.
- Census, Bureau, Department of Commerce. Health Insurance Coverage: 1996. Washington , DC : Census Bureau, 1997.
- Children's access to primary care: differences by race, income, and insurance status. Pediatrics. 1996; 97(1): 26–32. , , .
- Access of rural AFDC Medicaid beneficiaries to mental health services. Health Care Financ Rev. 1995; 17(1): 133–45. , .
- Recent findings on preventable hospitalizations. Health Aff. Fall 1996;15(3): 239–49. , , .
- Organizing care for patients with chronic illness. Milbank Q. 1996;74:511–44. , , .
- Quality Monitoring for Vulnerable Populations. Paper presented to the Subcommittee on Quality Measurement of the Advisory Commission on Consumer Protection and Quality in the Health Care Industry, Nov 7, 1997. .