Medical Errors—What and When: What Do Patients Want to Know?
Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
© 2002 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 9, Issue 11, pages 1156–1161, November 2002
How to Cite
Hobgood, C., Peck, C. R., Gilbert, B., Chappell, K. and Zou, B. (2002), Medical Errors—What and When: What Do Patients Want to Know?. Academic Emergency Medicine, 9: 1156–1161. doi: 10.1197/aemj.9.11.1156
- Issue published online: 8 JAN 2008
- Article first published online: 8 JAN 2008
- Received January 29, 2002;accepted April 5, 2002
- To Err Is Human Institute of Medicine.. Washington , DC : National Academy Press, 2000. , , .
- Committee on Quality Health Care in America Crossing the Quality Chasm: A New Health System for the 21st Century Institute of Medicine.. Washington , DC : National Academy Press, 2001.
- Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations. Website:www.jcaho.org/standards.
- Morally managing medical mistakes. Cambridge Q Healthcare Ethics. 2000;9:38–53. , .
- Disclosure and prevention of medical errors. Arch Intern Med. 2000; 160:2089–92. , , , , .
- When a physician harms a patient by a medical error: ethical, legal, and risk-management considerations. J Clin Ethics. 1997;8:330–5. , , , .
- A study of the ethical duty of physicians to disclose errors. J Clin Ethics. 1997;8:341–8. , .
- How do patients want physicians to handle mistakes? A survey of internal medicine patients in an academic setting. Arch Intern Med. 1996;156:2565–9. , , .
- Facing our mistakes. N Engl J Med. 1984; 310:118–20. .
- Error in medicine. JAMA. 1994; 272:1851–7. .
- Medical mistakes and disclosure: the role of the medical student. JAMA. 2001;286:1080–1. .
- Medical error: the second victim. Br Med J. 2000; 320:726–7. .
- Do house officers learn from their mistakes? JAMA. 1991;265:2089–94. , , ,
- Emergency medicine resident errors: identification and educational utilization. Acad Emerg Med. 2000; 7:1317–20. , , .
- Do physicians have a duty to disclose mistakes? West J Med. 1999; 171:82–3.
- Information in the ICU: are we being honest with our patients? The results of a European questionnaire. Intensive Care Med. 1998; 24:1251–6. .
- American Medical Association, Council on Ethical and Judicial Affairs Code of Medial Ethics: Current Opinions With Annotations. Chicago , IL : American Medical Association, 1997 section 8.12: 125.