Description and Evaluation of a Pilot Physician-directed Emergency Medical Services Diversion Control Program
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2006 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 1, pages 54–60, January 2006
How to Cite
Shah, M. N., Fairbanks, R. J., Maddow, C. L., Lerner, E. B., Syrett, J. I., Davis, E. A. and Schneider, S. M. (2006), Description and Evaluation of a Pilot Physician-directed Emergency Medical Services Diversion Control Program. Academic Emergency Medicine, 13: 54–60. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2005.07.026
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received May 12, 2005; Received Revised July 4, 2005; Accepted July 19, 2005
- Emergency department crowding as a health policy issue: past development, future directions. Ann Emerg Med. 2002; 40:388–93. , .
- Emergency department crowding: a point in time. Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42:167–72. , , , .
- Emergency department overcrowding in Florida, New York, and Texas. South Med J. 2002; 95:846–9. , .
- Frequent overcrowding in U.S. emergency departments. Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8:151–5. , .
- Emergency department contributors to ambulance diversion: a quantitative analysis. Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 41:467–76. , , , , .
- Overcrowding in the nation's emergency departments: complex causes and disturbing effects. Ann Emerg Med. 2000; 35:65–8. , .
- ED crowding and diversion: strategies and concerns from across the United States. J Emerg Nurs. 2001; 27:559–65. .
- U.S General Accounting Office. Hospital emergency departments, crowded conditions vary among hospitals and communities [GAO-03-460].. Washington , DC : Government Accounting Office, 2003.
- The effects of emergency department crowding on paramedic ambulance availability. Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43:100–5. , .
- Emergency department overcrowding and ambulance transport delays for patients with chest pain. CMAJ. 2003; 168:277–83. , , , .
- Diversion of ALS ambulances: characteristics, causes, and effects in a large urban system. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2001; 5:23–8. , .
- Community trial to decrease ambulance diversion hours: the San Diego County patient destination trial. Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 44:295–303. , , et al.
- 13. Measures to deal with emergency department overcrowding. Ann Emerg Med. 1990; 19:944–5.
- A conceptual model of emergency department crowding. Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42:173–80. , , , , , .
- Effect of an emergency department managed acute care unit on ED overcrowding and emergency medical services diversion. Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8:1095–100. , .
- Entry overload, emergency department overcrowding, and ambulance bypass. Emerg Med J. 2003; 20:406–9. , .
- Utilization and impact of ambulance diversion at the community level. Prehosp Emerg Care. 2002; 6:191–8. , , , .
- Emergency department crowding: consensus development of potential measures. Ann Emerg Med. 2003; 42:824–34. , , , .
- Emergency department overcrowding following systematic hospital restructuring: trends at twenty hospitals over ten years. Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8:1037–43. , , , .
- Care in the emergency department: how crowded is overcrowded? Acad Emerg Med. 2004; 11:1097–100. , .
- Approach to decreasing emergency department ambulance diversion hours. J Emerg Med. 2004; 26:189–92. , , , , .
- EMD Quality Improvement Coordinator, Monroe County Emergency Communications. Personal communication. June 22, 2005. ,
- Livingston County EMS Coordinator. Personal communication. June 22 2005. ,
- Rochester, New York: a decade of emergency department overcrowding. Acad Emerg Med. 2001; 8:1044–50. , , , , , .