Subsequent Suicide Mortality among Emergency Department Patients Seen for Suicidal Behavior
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2006 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 4, pages 435–442, April 2006
How to Cite
Crandall, C., Fullerton-Gleason, L., Aguero, R. and LaValley, J. (2006), Subsequent Suicide Mortality among Emergency Department Patients Seen for Suicidal Behavior. Academic Emergency Medicine, 13: 435–442. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2005.11.072
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received August 26, 2005; revision received November 10, 2005; accepted November 12, 2005.
- Suicide following deliberate self-harm: long-term follow-up of patients who presented to a general hospital. Br J Psychiatry. 2003; 182:537–42. , .
- Suicide rate 22 years after parasuicide: cohort study. BMJ. 2002; 325:1155. , , , , .
- Completed suicide after a suicide attempt: a 37-year follow-up study. Am J Psychiatry. 2004; 161:563–4. , , , , , .
- Suicide in the 18 years after deliberate self-harm: a prospective study. Br J Psychiatry. 1996; 169:489–94. , .
- Long-term risk factors for suicide mortality after attempted suicide—findings of a 14-year follow-up study. Acta Psychiatr Scand. 2001; 104:117–21. , , , , .
- Suicide after deliberate self-harm: a 4-year cohort study. Am J Psychiatry. 2003; 160:1494–500. , , et al.
- Gender differences in risk factors for suicide in Denmark. Br J Psychiatry. 2002; 181:193–9. , , , .
- Association of alcohol and drug use disorders and completed suicide: an empirical review of cohort studies. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2004; 76 Suppl:S11–9. , .
- Suicidality after traumatic brain injury: demographic, injury and clinical correlates. Psychol Med. 2002; 32:687–97. , .
- Suicide risk and mental health indicators: do they differ by abuse and HIV status? Womens Health Issues. 2005; 15:89–95. , , , .
- Suicide in the United States end-stage renal disease program. J Am Soc Nephrol. 2005; 16:774–81. , , , .
- Asthma, suicidal ideation and suicide attempts: finding from the Baltimore Epidemiology Catchment Area follow-up. Am J Public Health. 2005; 95:717–22. , .
- Prostate cancer: a significant risk factor for late-life suicide. Am J Geriatr Psychiatry. 2005; 13:195–201. , , et al.
- Mortality after deliberate self-poisoning: a prospective follow-up of 587 persons observed for 5279 person years: risk factor and causes of death. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 1997; 32:443–50. .
- Risk factors for suicide and other deaths following hospital treated self-poisoning in Australia. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2004; 38:520–5. , , , , .
- Suicidal patients in the emergency department: who is at greatest risk? Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43:731–2. .
- U.S. Census Bureau. New Mexico QuickFacts. Available at: http:quickfacts.census.govqfdstates3535001.html. Accessed Jan 22, 2003.
- U.S. Census Bureau Web site. 2000 U.S. Census Profile of General Demographic Characteristics. Available at: http:factfinder.census.govservletBasicFactsTable_langen. Accessed Jan 22, 2003.
- A theory of record linkage. J Am Stat Assoc. 1969; 64:1183–210. , .
- A practical introduction to record linkage for injury research. Inj Prev. 2004; 10:181–91. .
- Probabilistic record linkage: relationships between file sizes, identifiers and match weights. Methods Inf Med. 2001; 40:196–203. , .
- Probabilistic linkage of computerized ambulance and inpatient hospital discharge records: a potential tool for evaluation of emergency medical services. Ann Emerg Med. 2001; 37:616–26. , , , , , .
- Validation of probabilistic linkage for matching de-identified prehospital records to a state trauma registry [abstract]. Acad Emerg Med. 2005; 12(1 Suppl):136. .
- Statistical Methods in Cancer Research: Volume II—The Design and Analysis of Cohort Studies. IARC Scientific Publications No. 82. New York , NY : Oxford University Press, 1987. , .
- Epidemiology: Beyond the Basics. Gaithersburg , MD : Aspen, 2000. , .
- U.S. Census Bureau. 2000 U.S. Census Profile of General Demographic Characteristics. Available at: http:factfinder.census.govservletQTTable_bm. =y&-qr_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U_QTP1&-ds_name=DEC_2000_SF1_U&-CONTEXT=qt&-redoLog=false&-currentselections=DEC_2000_SF1_U_QTP1&-geo_id=01000US&-format=&-_lang=en Accessed Apr 28, 2005.
- National Center for Injury Prevention and Control. WISQARS Injury Mortality Reports, 1999–2003. Available at: http:www.cdc.govncipcwisqarsdefault.htm. Accessed Apr 30, 2005.
- Mortality and further suicidal behaviour after an index suicide attempt: a 10-year study. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2005; 39:95–100. , .
- Subsequent mortality in medically serious suicide attempts: a 5 year follow-up. Aust N Z J Psychiatry. 2003; 37:595–9. .
- Sex difference in risk factors for suicide after attempted suicide—a follow-up study of 1052 suicide attempters. Soc Psychiatry Psychiatr Epidemiol. 2004; 39:113–20. , .
- GoldsmithSK, PellmarTC, KleinmanAM, BunneyWE, eds Reducing suicide: a national imperative.. Washington , DC : National Academies Press, 2002, p 230.
- Fatal and non-fatal repetition of self-harm. Br J Psychiatry. 2002; 181:193–9. , .
- Centers for Disease Control. National Death Index website. Available at: http:www.cdc.govnchsr&dndindi.htm. Accessed Apr 29, 2005.
- The epidemiology of case fatality rates for suicide in the northeast. Ann Emerg Med. 2004; 43:723–30. , .
- Surveillance for fatal and nonfatal injuries—United States, 2001. MMWR. 53:1–57. , ,
- Injury hospitalization and risks for subsequent self-injury and suicide: a national study from New Zealand. Am J Public Health. 2003; 93:1128–31. , , , .
- Utilization of the emergency department after self-inflicted injury. Acad Emerg Med. 2004; 11:136–42. , , et al.
- General hospital services for deliberate self-harm. Haphazard clinical provision, little research, no central strategy. J R Coll Physicians Lond. 1994; 28:370–1. , .
- Attendance at the accident and emergency department in the year before suicide: retrospective study. Br J Psychiatry. 2003; 183:28–33. , .