An Independent Evaluation of Four Quantitative Emergency Department Crowding Scales
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2006 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 13, Issue 11, pages 1204–1211, November 2006
How to Cite
Jones, S. S., Allen, T. L., Flottemesch, T. J. and Welch, S. J. (2006), An Independent Evaluation of Four Quantitative Emergency Department Crowding Scales. Academic Emergency Medicine, 13: 1204–1211. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.05.021
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received March 2, 2006; Received Revised May 23, 2006; Accepted May 26, 2006
- US General Accounting Office. Hospital Emergency Departments: Crowded Conditions Vary Among Hospitals and Communities. Washington : DC, 2003 Report No. GAO-03–460.
- Emergency department crowding as a health policy issue: past development, future directions Ann Emerg Med 2002;40:388–393. , , .
- Effect of increased ICU capacity on emergency department length of stay and ambulance diversion Ann Emerg Med 2005;45:471–478. , , , et al.
- Urban emergency department overcrowding: defining the problem and eliminating misconceptions Can J Emerg Med 2002;4:76–83. , , .
- Canadian Association of Emergency Physicians and National Emergency Nurses Affiliation. Joint position statement on emergency department overcrowding Can J Emerg Med 2001;3:82–84.
- Analysis of factors influencing length of stay in the emergency department Can J Emerg Med 2003;5:155–161. , , .
- Improving emergency department flow In: Rosen, RA editor. Managing to Get It Right: The ACEP User's Guide to Emergency Department Management. Dallas , TX : American College of Emergency Physicians, 1998. pp. 79–88. .
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Overcrowding Bibliography. Available at:http:www.aaem.orgcommitteesOvercrowding_Bibliography.pdf. Accessed May 13, 2006.
- Care in the emergency department: how crowded is overcrowded? Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:1097–1101. , .
- Overcrowding in the nation's emergency departments: complex causes and disturbing effects Ann Emerg Med 2000;35:63–68. , .
- Decreased health care quality associated with emergency department overcrowding Eur J Emerg Med 1999;7:105–107. , , , , .
- Effects of external and internal factors on emergency department overcrowding Ann Emerg Med 2002;39:693–695. , , , , .
- Development of a site sample form for evaluation of ED overcrowding Am J Public Health 2002;8:549–553. , , , , , .
- When the safety net is unsafe: real time assessment of the overcrowded emergency department Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:1070–1074. , .
- Emergency department overcrowding in Florida, New York, and Texas South Med J 2002;95:846–849. , .
- Survey of directors of emergency departments in California on overcrowding West J Med 2000;172:385–389. , , .
- Frequent overcrowding in U.S. emergency departments Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:151–155. , , .
- American College of Emergency Physicians. Measures to deal with emergency department overcrowding Ann Emerg Med 1990;19:944–945.
- Emergency departments and crowding in United States teaching hospitals Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:980–986. , , , , .
- The etiology of medical gridlock: causes of emergency department overcrowding in New York City J Emerg Med 1990;8:785–790. , .
- Critical decision making: managing the emergency department in an overcrowded hospital Ann Emerg Med 1991;20:287–292. , .
- Overcrowding in America's emergency departments: inpatient wards replace emergency care Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:188–189. .
- ED overcrowding in Taiwan: facts and strategies Am J Emerg Med 1999;17:198–202. , , , et al.
- Déjà vu Ann Emerg Med 2000;35:83–85. .
- How we solved the overcrowding problem in our emergency department Can Med Assoc J 1989;140:273–276. , .
- Overcrowding in the ED: an international symptom of health care system failure Am J Emerg Med 1999;17:208–209. .
- Increasing health care costs associated with ED overcrowding Am J Emerg Med 1994;12:265–266. , .
- Emergency department overcrowding: an action plan Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:185–187. .
- Emergency department overcrowding following systematic hospital restructuring: trends at twenty hospitals over ten years Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:1037–1043. , , .
- Emergency department overcrowding: a national crisis Acad Med 2001;76:672–674. .
- Effect of an emergency department (ED) managed acute care unit on ED overcrowding and emergency medical services diversion Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:1095–1100. , , .
- Overcrowding and diversion in the emergency department: the health care safety net unravels Nurs Clin North Am 2002;37:59–66. .
- The overcrowded emergency department: a comparison of staff perceptions Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:1059–1064. , , .
- Development and validation of a new index to measure emergency department crowding Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:938–942. , , , , .
- Comparison of the National Emergency Department Overcrowding scale and Emergency Department Work Index for quantifying emergency department crowding Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:513–518. , , .
- Estimating the degree of emergency department overcrowding in academic medical centers: results of the National ED overcrowding study (NEDOCS) Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:38–50. , , , et al.
- Relationship between the national ED overcrowding scale and the number of patients who leave without being seen in an academic ED Am J Emerg Med 2005;23:288–294. , , , , , .
- Is this emergency department crowded? A multicenter derivation and evaluation of an emergency department crowding scale (EDCS) Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:484–485. , , , et al.
- Measuring emergency department crowding and hospital capacity Acad Emerg Med 2002;9:366–367. , , .
- In the eye of the beholder: How emergency department doctors and nurses differ in their perception and approach to emergency department crowding[abstract] Ann Emerg Med 2005;46(Suppl 1):33. , , , , .
- Validation and findings comparing VAS vs. Likert scales for psychosocial measurements Int Electronic J Health Edu 2005;8:178–192. , .
- Emergency Severity Index, Version 4: Implementation Handbook. AHRQ Publication No. 05-0046-2, May 2005. Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality, Rockville, MD. Available at: http:www.ahrq.govresearchesi. Accessed May 26, 2006. , , , , .
- The measurement of observer agreement for categorical data Biometrics 1977;33:159–174. , .
- A coefficient of agreement for nominal scales Educ Psychol Meas 1960;20:37–46. .
- Weighted kappa: nominal scale agreement with provision for scaled disagreement or partial credit Psychol Bull 1968;70:213–220. .
- The equivalence of weighted kappa and the intraclass correlation coefficient as measures of reliability Educ Psychol Meas 1973;33:613–619. , .
- Statistical Methods for Rates and Proportions2nd ed. New York , NY : Wiley, 1981. .
- The meaning and use of the area under a receiver operating characteristic (ROC) curve Radiology 1982;143:29–36. , .
- Comparing the areas under two or more correlated receiver operating characteristic curves: a nonparametric approach Biometrics 1988;44:837–845. , , .