Development of a Brief Mental Health Screen for Intimate Partner Violence Victims in the Emergency Department
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 3, pages 202–209, March 2007
How to Cite
Houry, D., Kemball, R. S., Click, L. A. and Kaslow, N. J. (2007), Development of a Brief Mental Health Screen for Intimate Partner Violence Victims in the Emergency Department. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 202–209. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.09.056
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- received August 23, 2006 revision received September 20, 2006 revision received September 27, 2006 accepted September 27, 2006.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Costs of intimate partner violence against women in the United States Atlanta , GA : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 2003.
- The economic toll of intimate partner violence against women in the United States Violence Vict 2004;19:259–272. , , , , .
- Average cost per person victimized by an intimate partner of the opposite gender: a comparison of men and women Violence Vict 2005;20:379–391. , .
- Medical care utilization patterns in women with diagnosed domestic violence Am J Prev Med 2003;24:9–15. , , , , , .
- Intimate partner violence and mental health symptoms in African American female emergency department patients Am J Emerg Med 2006;24:444–450. , , .
- Domestic violence against women: incidence and prevalence in an emergency department population JAMA 1995;273:1763–1767. , , .
- The economic burden of depression in the United States: how did it change between 1990 and 2000? J Clin Psychiatry 2003;64:1465–1475. , , , et al.
- The economic burden of anxiety disorders Br J Psychiatry Suppl 1995;27:34–42. , .
- Enabling the diagnosis of occult psychiatric illness in the emergency department: a randomized, controlled trial of the computerized, self-administered Prime-MD Diagnostic system Ann Emerg Med 2001;37:132–140. , , , , .
- CA. A multicenter study of depression among emergency department patients Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:1284–1289. , , .
- Depression in geriatric ED patients: prevalence and recognition Ann Emerg Med 1997;30:141–145. , , , , .
- Occult suicidality in an emergency department Br J Psychiatry 2005;186:352–353. , .
- Intimate partner abuse among women diagnosed with depression Issues Ment Health Nurs 2000;21:499–513. , , , , , .
- Intimate partner violence and depression among whites, blacks, and Hispanics Ann Epidemol 2003;13:661–665. , .
- Posttraumatic stress disorder among battered women: risk and resiliency factors Violence Vict 1993;8:17–28. , , .
- Characteristics of women physically assaulted by their spouses and who seek treatment regarding marital conflict J Consult Clin Psychol 1995;63:616–623. , , .
- Posttraumatic stress disorder in battered women J Trauma Stress 1991;4:137–148. , , .
- The differential association of intimate partner physical, sexual, psychological, and stalking violence and posttraumatic stress syndrome in a nationally representative sample of women J Trauma Stress 2004;17:413–421. , , .
- Risk factors for suicide attempts among African American women Depress Anxiety 2000;12:13–20. , , , et al.
- Suicide attempts by battered wives Acta Psychiatr Scand 1991;83:380–384. , .
- Joint Commission for the Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). Comprehensive Accreditation Manual for Hospitals Oakbrook. Terrace : IL, 2001.
- The emergency department as a violence prevention center J Am Med Womens Assoc 1996;51:92–95. , , .
- Do responses to an intimate partner violence screen predict scores on a comprehensive measure of intimate partner violence in low-income black women? Ann Emerg Med 2003;42:483–491. , , .
- Manual for the Beck Depression Inventory-II San Antonio , TX : Psychological Corp; 1996. , ,
- Reliability and validity of a brief instrument for assessing post traumatic stress disorder J Trauma Stress 1993;6:459–473. , , .
- Assessment of suicidal intention: the Scale for Suicide Ideation J Consult Clin Psychol 1979;47:343–352. , , .
- Psychometric characteristics of the scale for suicide ideation with psychiatric outpatients Behav Res Ther 1997;35:1039–1046. , , .
- Scale for Suicide Ideation: psychometric properties of a self-report mechanism J Clin Psychol 1988;44:499–505. , , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Emergency department response to domestic violence—California, 1992 MMWR Morb Mortal Weekly Rept 1993;42:617–620.
- Screening for intimate partner violence by health care providers Am J Prev Med 2000;19:230–237. , , , , .
- Physician beliefs about victims of spouse abuse and about the physician role J Women Health 2000;9:405–411. , , .
- Barriers to domestic violence screening in the pediatric setting Pediatrics 2001;108:98–102. , , .
- Psychiatric screening in the emergency department: its effect on physician behavior Ann Emerg Med 1989;18:875–880. , .
- Better health while you wait: a controlled trial of a computer-based intervention for screening and health promotion in the emergency department Ann Emerg Med 2001;37:284–291. , , , , , .
- Between me and the computer: increased detection of intimate partner violence using a computer questionnaire Ann Emerg Med 2002;40:476–484. , , , , .
- Intimate partner violence screening and intervention: data from eleven Pennsylvania and California community hospital emergency departments J Emerg Nurs 2001;27:141–149. , , .
- Depressive symptoms in women experiencing domestic violence J Interpers Violence 2005;20:1466–1477. , , .
- Major depressive and post-traumatic stress disorder comorbidity in female victims of intimate partner violence J Affect Disord 2001;66:133–138. , .
- Posttraumatic stress disorder comorbid with major depression: factors mediating the association with suicidal behavior Am J Psychiatry 2005;162:560–566. , , , et al.
- Risk factors for suicide attempts among African American women experiencing recent intimate partner violence Violence Vict 2002;17:283–295. , , .
- Exposure to interpersonal violence as a predictor of PTSD symptomatology in domestic violence survivors J Interpers Viol 2006;21:936–954. , , , , , .