Declining Antibiotic Prescriptions for Upper Respiratory Infections, 1993–2004
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 366–369, April 2007
How to Cite
Vanderweil, S. G., Pelletier, A. J., Hamedani, A. G., Gonzales, R., Metlay, J. P. and Camargo, C. A. (2007), Declining Antibiotic Prescriptions for Upper Respiratory Infections, 1993–2004. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 366–369. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.10.096
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received August 2, 2006; revised revision September 18, 2006; revised revision September 28, 2006; accepted October 5, 2006
- the IMPAACT Trial Investigators. Antibiotic treatment of acute respiratory infections in acute care settings Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:288–294. , , et al..
- Trends in antibiotic prescribing for adults in the United States—1995 to 2002 J Gen Intern Med 2005;20:697–702. , , , et al.
- Principles of appropriate antibiotic use for treatment of nonspecific upper respiratory tract infections in adults: background Ann Intern Med 2001;134:490–494. , , , , , .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Get Smart: Know When Antibiotics Work. Available at:http://www.cdc.gov/drugresistance/community. Accessed Jul 20, 2006.
- Plan and operation of the National Hospital Ambulatory Medical Care Survey. National Center for Health Statistics Vital Health Stat 1 1994;34:1–78. , .
- National Center for Health Statistics. Ambulatory Health Care Data. Available at:http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/major/ahcd/ahcd1.htm. Accessed Sep 8, 2006.
- The collection and processing of drug information: National Ambulatory Medical Care Survey, United States, 1980. National Center for Health Statistics Vital Health Stat 2 1982;90:1–90. , .
- United States Census Bureau. U.S. Census Bureau website. Available at:http://www.census.gov. Accessed Jul 15, 2006.
- Changing use of antibiotics in community-based outpatient practice, 1991–1999 Ann Intern Med 2003;138:525–533. , , .
- A profile of U.S. emergency departments in 2001 Ann Emerg Med 2006;48:694–701. , , , et al.
- Differences in antibiotic prescribing among physicians, residents, and nonphysician clinicians Am J Med 2005;118:641–648. , , , , , .
- Differences, disparities, and biases: clarifying racial variations in health care use Ann Intern Med 2004;141:635–639. , .
- U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy People 2010. Available at:http://www.healthypeople.gov/. Accessed Sep 25, 2006.