Trauma Center Utilization for Children in California 1998–2004: Trends and Areas for Further Analysis
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 309–315, April 2007
How to Cite
Wang, N. E., Chan, J., Mahlow, P. and Wise, P. H. (2007), Trauma Center Utilization for Children in California 1998–2004: Trends and Areas for Further Analysis. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 309–315. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.11.012
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received May 24, 2006; revised revision August 6, 2006; revised revision October 21, 2006; revised revision November 10, 2006; accepted November 16, 2006
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Injury Fact Book: 2001-2002 Atlanta , GA : Center for Disease Control and Prevention; 2001.
- Influence of a statewide trauma system on pediatric hospitalization and outcome J Trauma 1997;42:514–519. , , , et al.
- The effect of organized systems of trauma care on motor vehicle crash mortality JAMA 2000;283:1990–1994. , , , , .
- Systems of trauma care. A study of two counties, 1979 Clin Orthop 1995;318:4–10. , , .
- Review of evidence regarding trauma system effectiveness resulting from panel studies J Trauma 1999;47(Suppl 1):S34–S41. .
- An analysis of the association of trauma centers with per capita hospitalizations and death rates from injury Ann Surg 1993;218:512–521. , , , , .
- Preventable trauma deaths. A review of trauma care systems development JAMA 1985;254:1059–1063. , .
- Impact of a trauma system on outcome of severely injured patients Arch Surg 1987;122:523–527. , , , et al.
- Impact of the Los Angeles County Trauma System on the survival of seriously injured patients J Trauma 1992;32:576–583. , , , et al.
- Analysis of a rural trauma program using the TRISS methodology: a three-year retrospective study J Trauma 1994;36:395–400. , , .
- Outcome of hospitalized injured patients after institution of a trauma system in an urban area JAMA 1994;271:1919–1924. , , , et al.
- Effectiveness of state trauma systems in reducing injury-related mortality: a national evaluation J Trauma 2000;48:25–30. , , .
- Trauma system impact on admission site: a comparison of two states J Trauma 1999;46:631–637. , , , et al.
- A national evaluation of the effect of trauma-center care on mortality N Engl J Med 2006;354:366–378. , , , et al.
- A resource-based assessment of trauma care in the United States J Trauma 2004;56:173–178. , , .
- Fractures in access to and assessment of trauma systems J Am Coll Surg 2003;197:717–725. , , .
- Pediatric trauma care: an overview of pediatric trauma systems and their practices in 18 US states J Pediatr Surg 2003;38:1162–1169. , , , , , .
- Access to trauma centers in the United States JAMA 2005;293:2626–2633. , , , et al.
- Payer status: the unspoken triage criterion J Trauma 2001;50:776–783. , , .
- The effect of urban hospital closure on markets J Health Econ 2003;22:691–712. , , .
- Public hospital-based level I trauma centers: financial survival in the new millennium J Trauma 2001;51:301–307. , , , , , .
- Trauma system structure and viability in the current healthcare environment: a state-by-state assessment J Trauma 2005;58:136–147. , , , , .
- Trauma service cost: the real story Ann Surg 1998;227:720–724. , , , et al.
- National inventory of hospital trauma centers JAMA 2003;289:1515–1522. , , , et al.
- Trauma systems and the costs of trauma care Health Serv Res 1996;31:71–95. , , .
- The economic status of trauma centers on the eve of health care reform J Trauma 1994;36:835–844. , , , , .
- Trauma center closures: a national assessment J Trauma 1992;33:539–546. , , .
- Factors that enhance continued trauma center participation in trauma systems J Trauma 1996;41:876–885. , , .
- Community-based trauma system development: key barriers and facilitating factors J Trauma 1999;47(Suppl 1):S22–S24. .
- The cost of trauma center readiness Am J Surg 2004;187:7–13. , , , , .
- 821 Requests for Transfer to an Academic Level I Trauma Center: Implications for the Emergency Medical Treatment and Active Labor Act (EMTALA) Palo Alto , CA : Stanford University; 2006.
- California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, Healthcare Quality & Analysis Division. Inpatient Hospital Discharge data. Jul 26, 2006. Available at:http://www.oshpd.cahwnet.gov/hqad/PatientLevel/index.htm. Accessed Apr 1, 2006.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommended Framework of E-code Groupings for Presenting Injury Mortality and Morbidity Data (February 16, 2005). Available at:http://www.cdc.gov/ncipc/whatsnew/matrix2.htm. Accessed Feb 1, 2006.
- Emergency Medical Services Authority, California. Designated Trauma Centers for the State of California. Available at:http://www.emsa.cahwnet.gov/emsdivision/trma_ctr.pdf. Accessed Jan 7, 2005.
- CDMAP-90 Software and Users Guide. Baltimore : MD, 1997. , .
- A population-based analysis of socioeconomic status and insurance status and their relationship with pediatric trauma hospitalization and mortality rates Am J Public Health 2003;93:461–466. , , .
- California Health Care Market Report 2005. Available at: http://www.chcf.org/topics/view.cfm?itemID=114640. Accessed May 1, 2006. .
- Trauma centers in the United States: identification and examination of key characteristics J Trauma 1995;38:103–110. , .
- Trauma systems—state of the art Resuscitation 2001;48:17–23. , , .
- Trauma systems. Current status—future challenges JAMA 1988;259:3597–3600. , , .
- Send severely head-injured children to a pediatric trauma center Pediatr Neurosurg 1996;25:309–314. , .
- The principle of the sentinel health event and its application to the occupational diseases Arch Environ Health 1984;39:158. .
- Sentinel Health Events (occupational): a basis for physician recognition and public health surveillance Am J Public Health 1983;73:1054–1062. , , , , , .
- State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development. Patient Discharge Data File Documentation. Sacramento , CA : State of California Office of Statewide Health Planning and Development, 1998–2003.
- A population-based multivariate analysis of the association of county demographic and medical system factors with per capita pediatric trauma death rates in North Carolina Ann Surg 1994;219:205–210. , , .
- Epidemiology of rural traumatic death in children: a population-based study J Trauma 1995;38:867–870. , .
- Triage scoring systems, severity of illness measures, and mortality prediction models in pediatric trauma Crit Care Med 2002;30(Suppl 1):S457–S467. , .