A Randomized Clinical Trial to Assess the Impact on an Emergency Response System on Anxiety and Health Care Use among Older Emergency Patients after a Fall
Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 301–308, April 2007
How to Cite
Lee, J. S., Hurley, M. J., Carew, D., Fisher, R., Kiss, A. and Drummond, N. (2007), A Randomized Clinical Trial to Assess the Impact on an Emergency Response System on Anxiety and Health Care Use among Older Emergency Patients after a Fall. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 301–308. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.11.017
- Issue published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Article first published online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received August 31, 2006; revised revision November 17, 2006; revised revision November 20, 2006; accepted November 20, 2006
- Injury visits to hospital emergency departments: United States, 1992-95 Vital Health Stat 13 1998(131):1–76. , .
- Prospective study of restriction of activity in old people after falls Age Ageing 1987;16:189–193. , , , , .
- Risk factors for falls among elderly persons living in the community N Engl J Med 1988;319:1701–1707. , , .
- Factors associated with serious injury during falls by ambulatory nursing home residents J Am Geriatr Soc 1987;35:644–648. .
- Older adults in the emergency department: a systematic review of patterns of use, adverse outcomes, and effectiveness of interventions Ann Emerg Med 2002;39:238–247. , .
- Risk factors for recurrent nonsyncopal falls. A prospective study JAMA 1989;261:2663–2668. , , .
- Falls and fear of falling among elderly persons living in the community: occupational therapy interventions Am J Occup Ther 1991;45:119–122. , .
- Covariates of fear of falling and associated activity curtailment Gerontologist 1998;38:549–555. , , , , , .
- Fear of falling among the community-dwelling elderly J Aging Health 1993;5:229–243. , , , , , .
- The prevalence and correlates of fear of falling in elderly persons living in the community Am J Public Health 1994;84:565–570. , , .
- Fear of falling and fall-related efficacy in relationship to functioning among community-living elders J Gerontol 1994;49:M140–M147. , , .
- Patterns of ED use and perceptions of the elderly regarding their emergency care: a synthesis of recent research J Emerg Nurs 2003;29:122–126. .
- Center for Disease Control and Prevention. Data warehouse on trends in health and aging. Available at:http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/about/otheract/aging/trenddata.htm. Accessed Nov 23, 2006.
- Economic implications of increased longevity in the United States Ann Rev Public Health 2004;25:457–473. , .
- A research agenda for geriatric emergency medicine Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:251–260. , .
- A method for reducing anxiety in the home-bound elderly J Geriatr Psychiatry 1981;14:111–113. .
- Personal emergency response systems: communication technology aids elderly and their family J Appl Gerontol 1990;9:504–510. .
- Personal response services present and future Home Health Care Serv Q 1992;13:239–243. .
- Emergency response system assists in discharge planning Dimens Health Serv 1984;61(11):30–31. .
- Impact of a personal emergency response system on hospital utilization by community-residing elders South Med J 1995;88:917–922. , , .
- Linking frail elderly to the help network Nurs Homes 1982;31(6):12–15. .
- Cost-benefit analysis of an emergency alarm and response system: a case study of a long-term care program Health Serv Res 1981;16:65–80. , .
- Study on the effects of an emergency alarm system for the aged: a final report. Boston : MA, 1980 Grant no. HSO1788. , .
- Interbank FX. Available at: http://www.edgar-online.com/bin/edgardoc/glimpseFrame.asp?docA-720195-0001193125-04-040562glm1nav1. Accessed Mar 18, 2004.
- Public financing for personal response systems: a federal viewpoint Home Health Care Serv Q 1992;13:223–228. .
- Hearing held on Medicare coverage of personal emergency response systems Caring 1983;6:6.
- Federal Trade Commission. Facts for consumers: personal emergency response systems. Available at:http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/conline/pubs/services/pers.htm. Accessed Nov 8, 2006.
- Prospective association of anxiety, depressive, and addictive disorders with high utilization of primary, specialty and emergency medical care Soc Sci Med 2004;58:2145–2148. , , , , .
- Relationship of anxiety, depression and alcohol use disorders to persistent high utilization and potentially problematic under-utilization of primary medical care Soc Sci Med 2005;61:1618–1625. , , .
- The effectiveness of personal emergency response systems in meeting the safety monitoring needs of home care clients J Nurs Admin 1994;24:39–44. , .
- “Low-tech” personal emergency response systems reduce costs and improve outcomes Manag Care Q 2000;8:38–43. .
- Effectiveness and Efficiency: Random Reflections on the Health Services. London : England, 1972. .
- A socially acceptable emergency alarm system J Med Eng Technol 1981;5:68–72. , .
- International experiences with the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale—a review of validation data and clinical results J Psychosom Res 1997;42:17–41. .
- Falls efficacy as a measure of fear of falling J Gerontol 1990;45:P239–P243. , , .
- “Mini-mental state.” A practical method for grading the cognitive state of patients for the clinician J Psychiatr Res 1975;12:189–198. , , .
- A brief risk-stratification tool to predict repeat emergency department visits and hospitalizations in older patients discharged from the emergency department Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:224–232. , , , et al.
- Validation of the Triage Risk Stratification Tool (TRST) scale to identify elders at risk for returning to the emergency department J Am Geriatr Soc 2005;53:S131. , , , et al.
- A validation study of the Hospital Anxiety and Depression Scale (HADS) in different groups of Dutch subjects Psychol Med 1997;27:363–370. , , , , , .
- Historical controls for extracorporeal membrane oxygenation in neonates Crit Care Med 1989;17:423–425. .
- The hospital anxiety and depression scale Acta Psychiatr Scand 1983;67:361–370. , .
- Psychological support for patients undergoing breast cancer surgery: a randomised study BMJ 1996;312:813–816. , , , et al.
- Falls and fear of falling: which comes first? A longitudinal prediction model suggests strategies for primary and secondary prevention J Am Geriatr Soc 2002;50:1329–1335. , , , , .
- Prospective study of the impact of fear of falling on activities of daily living, SF-36 scores, and nursing home admission J Gerontol A Biol Sci Med Sci 2000;55:M299–M305. , , .