The Use of Simulation in Emergency Medicine: A Research Agenda
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 353–363, April 2007
How to Cite
Bond, W. F., Lammers, R. L., Spillane, L. L., Smith-Coggins, R., Fernandez, R., Reznek, M. A., Vozenilek, J. A. and Gordon, J. A. (2007), The Use of Simulation in Emergency Medicine: A Research Agenda. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 353–363. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.11.021
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received August 24, 2006; revised revision November 1, 2006; accepted November 8, 2006
- Simulation and emergency medicine: opportunities for teaching, evaluation, and scholarship Newslett SAEM 2006;XVIII(3):10–11. .
- The status of human simulation training in emergency medicine residency programs Simulation Healthcare 2006;1:18–21. , , .
- The future vision of simulation in health care Qual Saf Health Care 2004;13(Suppl 1):i2–i10. .
- Joint Commission Resources. Know your tools: simulation techniques take off with teamwork training for safety. Joint Commission Benchmark. 2001; 3(2):4–5.
- CGME Bullet In: Simulation and Rehearsal. Chicago : IL, 2005 pp 1–31. , .
- Approval of virtual reality training for carotid stenting: what this means for procedural-based medicine JAMA 2004;292:3024–3026. , .
- Case Study: The Harvard Center for Medical Simulation's Labor and Delivery Crisis Resource Management Course. The Commonwealth Fund, 2006. Available at: http://www.cmwf.org/Tools/tools_show.htm?doc_id=270669. Accessed Nov 12, 2006. .
- Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Improving Patient Safety through Simulation Research. Grant Announcement RFA–HS-06-030. Available at:http://psnet.ahrq.gov/resource.aspx?resourceID=3655. Accessed Nov 12, 2006.
- Human simulation in emergency medicine training: a model curriculum Acad Emerg Med 2002;9:1310–1318. , , .
- Emergency medicine crisis resource management (EMCRM): pilot study of a simulation-based crisis management course for emergency medicine Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:386–389. , , , et al.
- Addressing the systems-based practice core competency: a simulation-based curriculum Acad Emerg Med 2005;12:1191–1194. , .
- Assessment of resident professionalism using high-fidelity simulation of ethical dilemmas Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:931–937. , , , , .
- Evaluating clinical simulations for learning procedural skills: a theory-based approach Acad Med 2005;80:549–553. .
- Virtual reality training improves operating room performance: results of a randomized, double-blinded study Ann Surg 2002;236:458–463. , , , et al.
- Crisis Management in Anesthesiology New York : Churchill Livingstone; 1994. , ,
- Features and uses of high-fidelity medical simulations that lead to effective learning: a BEME systematic review Med Teach 2005;27(1):10–28. , , , , .
- Simulators in Critical Care and Beyond Des Plaines , IL : Society of Critical Care Medicine; 2004.
- Practical Health Care Simulations Philadelphia , PA : Elsevier Mosby; 2004. , ,
- In: NormanGR, Van Der VleutenCPM, NewbleDI editors, The International Handbook of Research in Medical Education. Dordrecht , Netherlands : Kluwer Academic Publishers, 2002.
- Speeding up team learning (insights into team learning based on study of 16 cardiac surgery teams) Harvard Business Rev 2001;79(9):125–132. , .
- Demonstration of high-fidelity simulation team training for emergency medicine Acad Emerg Med 1999;6:312–323. , , , , , .
- See one, do one, teach one: advanced technology in medical education Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:1149–1154. , , .
- The psychology of learning In: Norman, GR, Van Der Vleuten, CPM, Baum, A, Newble, DI editors International Handbook of Research in Medical Education. Dordrecht , Netherlands : Kluwer Academic, 2002. pp. 163–203. , .
- Using simulation to instruct emergency medicine residents in cognitive forcing strategies Acad Med 2004;79:438–446. , , , et al.
- Achieving quality in clinical decision making: cognitive strategies and detection of bias Acad Emerg Med 2002;9:1184–1204. .
- The importance of cognitive errors in diagnosis and strategies to minimize them Acad Med 2003;78:775–780. .
- Cognitive versus technical debriefing after simulation training Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:276–283. , , , et al.
- Diagnostic error in internal medicine Arch Intern Med 2005;165:1493–1499. , , .
- Making patient safety the focus: crisis resource management in the undergraduate curriculum Med Educ 2004;38:56–66. , , .
- The role of teamwork in the professional education of physicians: current status and assessment recommendations ACGME Bull 2005; Dec:29–32. , .
- The role of teamwork in the professional education of physicians: current status and assessment recommendations Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2005;31:185–202. , , , , .
- The complexity of team training: what we have learned from aviation and its applications to medicine Qual Saf Health Care 2004;13(Suppl 1):i72–i79. .
- Error reduction and performance improvement in the emergency department through formal teamwork training: evaluation results of the MedTeams project Health Serv Res 2002;37:1553–1581. , , , et al.
- Crisis resource management training for an anaesthesia faculty: a new approach to continuing education Med Educ 2004;38:45–55. , , , , , .
- Simulation-based training in anesthesia crisis resource management (ACRM): a decade of experience Simulation Gaming 2001;32:175–193. , , .
- Defining competencies and establishing team training requirements In: Guzzo, R, Salas, E editors Teams: Their Training and Performance. Norwood , NJ : Ablex Publishing Corp., 1995. pp. 101–124. , , .
- Psychometric challenges of using simulation for high-stakes assessment In: Dunn, W editor Simulators in Critical Care and Beyond. Des Plaines , IL : Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2004. pp. 119–130. , .
- The potential for improved teamwork to reduce medical errors in the emergency department. The MedTeams Research Consortium Ann Emerg Med 1999;34:373–383. , , , , , .
- Use of a human patient simulator in the development of resident trauma management skills J Trauma 2001;51:17–21. , , , , , .
- Human simulation and crisis-team training In: Dunn, W editor Simulators in Critical Care and Beyond. Des Plaines , IL : Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2004. pp. 91–94. , .
- Toward a taxonomy of team performance functions In: Swezey, R, Salas, E editors Teams: Their Training and Performance. Philadelphia , PA : Ablex Publishing Corp., 1992. , .
- Developing observational measures of performance in surgical teams Qual Saf Health Care 2004;13(Suppl 1):i33–i40. , , .
- Identifying and training non-technical skills for teams in acute medicine Qual Saf Health Care 2004;13(Suppl 1):i80–i84. , .
- Team-oriented medical simulation In: Dunn, W editor. Simulators in Critical Care and Beyond. Des Plaines , IL : Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2004. pp. 42–46. .
- The IMPES Course: toward better outcomes through simulation-based multidisciplinary team training In: Dunn, W editor. Simulators in Critical Care and Beyond. Des Plaines , IL : Society of Critical Care Medicine, 2004. pp. 54–60. .
- Evaluation of trauma team performance using an advanced human patient simulator for resuscitation training J Trauma 2002;52:1078–1085. , , , et al.
- Translating teamwork behaviours from aviation to healthcare: development of behavioural markers for neonatal resuscitation Qual Saf Health Care 2004;13(Suppl 1):i57–i64. , , .
- Comparison of self, nurse, and physician assessment of residents rotating through an intensive care unit Crit Care Med 1998;26:1811–1816. , .
- Behaviorally anchored rating scales are preferable to global rating scales in the evaluation of medical residents Ann R Coll Physicians Surg Can 1997;30:81–86. , .
- Evaluation of procedural skills[editorial] Acad Emerg Med 1994;1:325. , .
- Procedural competency in emergency medicine: the current range of resident experience Acad Emerg Med 1999;6:728–735. , .
- Surgical skills training: simulation and multimedia combined Med Educ 2001;35:909–915. , .
- Competence of new emergency medicine residents in the performance of lumbar punctures Acad Emerg Med 2005;12:622–628. , , .
- Impact of educational intervention on confidence and competence in the performance of a simple surgical task J Bone Joint Surg Am 2005;87:1031–1037. , , , , , .
- Assessing pediatric senior residents' training in resuscitation: fund of knowledge, technical skills, and perception of confidence Pediatr Emerg Care 2000;16:73–76. , , , , , .
- The assessment of technical skills in a cardiology training program: is the ITER sufficient? Can J Cardiol 2000;16:457–462. .
- Use of computer-based technologies in teaching emergency procedural skills Acad Emerg Med 1994;1:404–407. .
- Virtual reality and simulation: training the future emergency physician Acad Emerg Med 2002;9:78–87. , , .
- Deliberate practice and the acquisition and maintenance of expert performance in medicine and related domains Acad Med 2004;79(Suppl 1):S70–S81. .
- Simulation technology for health care professional skills training and assessment JAMA 1999;282:861–866. , , , et al.
- Procedural skills in medicine: linking theory to practice J Emerg Med 1997;15:387–391. .
- Structured assessment of minor surgical skills (SAMSS) for family medicine residents Acad Med 2001;76:1241–1246. , , , et al.
- Evaluating procedural skills competence: inter-rater reliability of expert and non-expert observers Acad Med 1999;74:76–78. , , .
- Factors that influence skill decay and retention: a quantitative review and analysis Hum Performance 1998;11:57–101. , , .
- Teaching procedural skills: beyond “see one-do one.” Acad Emerg Med 1994;1:398–401. .
- Use of a computerized advanced cardiac life support simulator improves retention of advanced cardiac life support guidelines better than a textbook review Crit Care Med 1999;27:821–824. , , .
- Screen-based anesthesia simulation with debriefing improves performance in a mannequin-based anesthesia simulator Teach Learn Med 2001;13:92–96. , , .
- Medical Readiness Trainer Team. Immersive virtual reality platform for medical training: a “killer-application.” Stud Health Technol Inform. 2000; 70:207–13.
- Incorporating simulation-based objective structured clinical examination into the Israeli National Board Examination in Anesthesiology Anesth Analg 2006;102:853–858. , , .
- Reliability and validity of a simulation-based acute care skills assessment for medical students and residents Anesthesiology 2003;99:1270–1280. , , , , , .
- Achieving house staff competence in emergency airway management: results of a teaching program using a computerized patient simulator Crit Care Med 2004;32:2422–2427. , , , , .
- Evaluation of anesthesia residents using mannequin-based simulation: a multiinstitutional study Anesthesiology 2002;97:1434–1444. , , , et al.
- The validity of performance assessments using simulation Anesthesiology 2001;95:36–42. , , .
- Testing internal consistency and construct validity during evaluation of performance in a patient simulator Anesth Analg 1998;86:1160–1164. , , , et al.
- A simulation-based acute skills performance assessment for anesthesia training Anesth Analg 2005;101:1127–1134. , , , , .
- Assessment of a clinical performance evaluation tool for use in a simulator-based testing environment: a pilot study Acad Med 2003;78(Suppl 1):S45–S47. , , , , .
- Assessing communication competence: a review of current tools Fam Med 2005;37:184–192. , , , et al.
- National Board of Medical Examiners. Information on Step 2 Clinical Skills. Available at:http://www.usmle.org/step2/Step2CS/Step2Indexes/Step2CSIndex.htm. Accessed Nov 12, 2006.
- A comparison of global ratings and checklist scores from an undergraduate assessment using an anesthesia simulator Acad Med 2001;76:1053–1055. , , .
- Rater training for performance appraisal: a quantitative review J Occup Organ Psychol 1994;67:189–205. , .
- Portable advanced medical simulation for new emergency department testing and orientation Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:691–695. , , , et al.
- Accidents are normal and human error does not exist: a new look at the creation of occupational safety Int J Occup Saf Ergon 2003;9:211–218. .
- A method for measuring system safety and latent errors associated with pediatric procedural sedation Anesth Analg 2005;101:48–58. , , , , .
- A controlled trial of smart infusion pumps to improve medication safety in critically ill patients Crit Care Med 2005;33:533–540. , , , et al.
- Managing the unique size-related issues of pediatric resuscitation: reducing cognitive load with resuscitation aids Acad Emerg Med 2002;9:840–847. , , , , , .
- Improving alertness and performance in emergency department physicians and nurses: the use of planned naps Ann Emerg Med 2006;48:596–604. , , , et al.
- Patient safety: fatigue among clinicians and the safety of patients N Engl J Med 2002;347:1249–1255. , .
- Simulation study of rested versus sleep-deprived anesthesiologists Anesthesiology 2003;98:1345–1355. , , , et al.
- Disaster medicine: the potential role of high fidelity medical simulation for mass casualty incident training Med Health, Rhode Island 2003;86:196–200. , , .
- The use of advanced simulation in the training of anesthesiologists to treat chemical warfare casualties Anesth Analg 2003;96:1739–1742. , , , , , .
- Using innovative simulation modalities for civilian-based, chemical, biological, radiological, nuclear, and explosive training in the acute management of terrorist victims: a pilot study Prehospital Disaster Med 2006;21:272–275. , , , , .
- Development, implementation and outcomes of a training program for responders to acts of terrorism Prehosp Emerg Care 2006;10:239–246. , , , et al.
- Can a simulated critical care encounter accelerate basic science learning among preclinical medical students? A pilot study Simulation in Healthcare 2006;1:13–17. , , .
- Bringing good teaching cases “to life”: a simulator-based medical education service Acad Med 2004;79:23–27. , , .
- Airway management by US and Canadian emergency medicine residents: a multicenter analysis of more than 6,000 endotracheal intubation attempts Ann Emerg Med 2005;46:328–336. , , .
- Comparison of learning rates and skill retention for two procedure training methods[abstract] Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:473. .
- Human patient simulation is effective for teaching paramedic students endotracheal intubation Acad Emerg Med 2005;12:850–855. , , , , , .
- Learning endotracheal intubation in a clinical skills learning center: a quantitative study Anesth Analg 2001;93:656–662. , .
- Learning and forgetting: the dynamics of aircraft production Am Econ Rev 2000;90:1034–1054. .
- Institute of Medicine. Patient Safety: Achieving a New Standard for Care Washington , DC : National Academy Press; 2004.