The Effect of Emergency Department Expansion on Emergency Department Overcrowding
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 4, pages 338–343, April 2007
How to Cite
Han, J. H., Zhou, C., France, D. J., Zhong, S., Jones, I., Storrow, A. B. and Aronsky, D. (2007), The Effect of Emergency Department Expansion on Emergency Department Overcrowding. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 338–343. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2006.12.005
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received September 19, 2006; revised revision November 28, 2006; accepted December 4, 2006
- Frequent overcrowding in U.S. emergency departments Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:151–155. , , .
- Institute of Medicine. Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point Washington , DC : National Academies Press; 2006.
- Overcrowding in the nation's emergency departments: complex causes and disturbing effects Ann Emerg Med 2000;35:63–68. , .
- Emergency department crowding and thrombolysis delays in acute myocardial infarction Ann Emerg Med 2004;44:577–585. , , , , .
- Emergency department overcrowding and ambulance transport delays for patients with chest pain CMAJ 2003;168:277–283. , , .
- Emergency department gridlock and out-of-hospital delays for cardiac patients Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:709–716. , , .
- Increase in patient mortality at 10 days associated with emergency department overcrowding Med J Aust 2006;184:213–216. .
- Overcrowding in emergency departments: increased demand and decreased capacity Ann Emerg Med 2002;39:430–432. .
- Trends in hospital emergency department utilization: United States, 1992-99 Hyattsville , MD : Dept. of Health and Human Services, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, National Center for Health Statistics; 2001. ,
- Effects of hospital closures and hospital characteristics on emergency department ambulance diversion, Los Angeles County, 1998 to 2004 Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:309–316. , , , et al.
- Emergency physicians' behaviors and workload in the presence of an electronic whiteboard Int J Med Inform 2005;74:827–837. , , , et al.
- The Emergency Severity Index (version 3) 5-level triage system scores predict ED resource consumption J Emerg Nurs 2004;30:22–29. , , .
- Analysis of ambulance transports and diversions among US emergency departments Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:317–326. , , .
- Analysis of patient flow in the emergency department and the effect of an extensive reorganisation Emerg Med J 2003;20:143–148. , , , , .
- A conceptual model of emergency department crowding Ann Emerg Med 2003;42:173–180. , , , , , .
- Emergency department contributors to ambulance diversion: a quantitative analysis Ann Emerg Med 2003;41:467–476. , , , , .
- Rochester, New York: a decade of emergency department overcrowding Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:1044–1050. , , , , , .
- The effect of hospital occupancy on emergency department length of stay and patient disposition Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:127–133. , , , , .
- Effect of an emergency department (ED) managed acute care unit on ED overcrowding and emergency medical services diversion Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:1095–1100. , , .
- Effect of increased ICU capacity on emergency department length of stay and ambulance diversion Ann Emerg Med 2005;45:471–478. , , , , , .
- Faculty triage shortens emergency department length of stay Acad Emerg Med 2001;8:990–995. , , .
- Team triage improves emergency department efficiency Emerg Med J 2004;21:542–544. , , .
- Making an IMPACT on emergency department flow: improving patient processing assisted by consultant at triage Emerg Med J 2004;21:537–541. , , .
- Implementation of a point-of-care satellite laboratory in the emergency department of an academic medical center. Impact on test turnaround time and patient emergency department length of stay Arch Pathol Lab Med 2003;127:456–460. , , , , , .
- Managing unnecessary variability in patient demand to reduce nursing stress and improve patient safety Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2005;31:330–338. , , , , , .
- Utilization and impact of ambulance diversion at the community level Prehosp Emerg Care 2002;6:191–198. , , .
- No place to unload: a preliminary analysis of the prevalence, risk factors, and consequences of ambulance diversion Ann Emerg Med 1994;23:43–47. , , .
- Estimating the degree of emergency department overcrowding in academic medical centers: results of the National ED Overcrowding Study (NEDOCS) Acad Emerg Med 2004;11:38–50. , , , et al.
- Development and validation of a new index to measure emergency department crowding Acad Emerg Med 2003;10:938–942. , , , , .