Emergency Department Operational Changes in Response to Pay-for-performance and Antibiotic Timing in Pneumonia
Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
© 2007 Society for Academic Emergency Medicine
Academic Emergency Medicine
Volume 14, Issue 6, pages 545–548, June 2007
How to Cite
Pines, J. M., Hollander, J. E., Lee, H., Everett, W. W., Uscher-Pines, L. and Metlay, J. P. (2007), Emergency Department Operational Changes in Response to Pay-for-performance and Antibiotic Timing in Pneumonia. Academic Emergency Medicine, 14: 545–548. doi: 10.1197/j.aem.2007.01.022
- Issue online: 28 JUN 2008
- Version of Record online: 28 JUN 2008
- Received November 6, 2006; revision recieved December 27, 2006; accepted January 24, 2007
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. The Agency for Healthcare Research and Quality. Available at:http://hcup.ahrq.gov/HCUPnet.asp. Accessed Jun 27, 2006.
- Specifications manual for national hospital quality measures, version 1.05. Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services (CMS), Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations (JCAHO). 2005. Available at:http://www.qualitynet.org/dcs/ContentServer?cid1141662758631&pagenameQnetPublic2FPage2FQnetTier3&cPage. Accessed Jun 27, 2006.
- Quality of care, process, and outcomes in elderly patients with pneumonia JAMA 1997;278:2080–2084. , , , et al.
- Timing of antibiotic administration and outcomes for Medicare patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia Arch Intern Med 2004;164:637–644. , , , , .
- Snapshot of hospital quality reporting and pay-for-performance under Medicare Health Aff 2005;25:148–162. , , , et al.
- The association between ED crowding and hospital performance on antibiotic timing for pneumonia and percutaneous intervention for myocardial infarction Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:873–878. , , .
- The pneumonia controversy: hospitals grapple with 4 hour benchmark Ann Emerg Med 2006;47:259–261. .
- Systematic delays in antibiotic administration for adult patients admitted with pneumonia Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:939–945. , , .
- Profiles in patient safety: antibiotic timing and pay-for-performance Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:787–790. .
- Pay-for-performance for antibiotic timing in pneumonia: caveat emptor Jt Comm J Qual Patient Saf 2006;32:531–535. , , .
- The Joint Commission on Accreditation of Healthcare Organizations and Center for Medicare and Medicaid Services community-acquired pneumonia initiative: what went wrong? Ann Emerg Med 2005;46:409–411. , .
- CA, MacKenzie T. Antibiotic treatment of acute respiratory infections in acute care settings Acad Emerg Med 2006;13:288–294. , .
- Institute of Medicine. Hospital-Based Emergency Care: At the Breaking Point. 2006. Available at:http://www.nap.edu/catalog/11621.html#toc. Accessed Jun 27, 2006.
- The unintended consequences of public reporting of quality information JAMA 2005;293:1239–1244. , .
- The impact on trauma alert activations on the care of ED patients with potential acute coronary syndrome Ann Emerg Med 2006;48:347–353. , , , et al.