Is a Re-evaluation of WHO Body Mass Index Cut-off Values Needed? The Case of Asians in Singapore
Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2008
2003 International Life Sciences Institute
Volume 61, Issue Supplement s5, pages S80–S87, May 2003
How to Cite
Deurenberg-Yap, M. and Deurenberg, P. (2003), Is a Re-evaluation of WHO Body Mass Index Cut-off Values Needed? The Case of Asians in Singapore. Nutrition Reviews, 61: S80–S87. doi: 10.1301/nr.2003.may.S80-S87
- Issue online: 16 SEP 2008
- Version of Record online: 16 SEP 2008
- 7Body mass index as predictor for body fat: comparison between Chinese and Dutch adult subjects. Asia Pacific J Clin Nutr. 1997; 6: 102–105., , ,
- 11Ministry of Health. Health facts 2000, Singapore : Health Info Management, Ministry of Health; 2001.
- 12World Health Organisation. WHO Statistics Annals 1996. Geneva : World Health Organisation; 1998.
- 13World Health Organisation. Obesity: preventing and managing the global epidemic. Report on a WHO Consultation on Obesity. Geneva : WHO; 1997.
- 14Research and Evaluation Department. The Health of Singaporeans. Singapore : Ministry of Health; 1993.
- 18WHO study group. Diet, nutrition, and the prevention of chronic diseases. Technical Report Series 797. Geneva : WHO; 1990.
- 19Seven countries: a multivariate analysis of death and coronary heart disease. Cambridge , MA : Cambridge University Press; 1980.
- 20World Health Organisation. Prevention of coronary heart disease report of a WHO expert committee. Technical Report Series 678. Geneva : WHO; 1982.
- 22Food and Nutrition Department. Food consumption study 1993. Ministry of Health, 1994.
- 23Ministry of Health. National health survey 1998, Singapore. Singapore : Epidemiology and Disease Control Department, Ministry of Health; 1999.
- 28World Health Organisation. Measuring obesity. Classification and description of anthropometric data. Report on a WHO Consultation on the Epidemiology of Obesity. WHO report EUR.ICP/Nut 125. Copenhagen : WHO; 1987.
- 29World Health Organisation. MONICA Manual. Geneva : WHO; 1990.
- 31World Health Organisation. Hypertension control: report of a WHO expert committee. WHO Technical Report Series 862. Geneva : WHO; 1996.
- 32National Institutes of Health. National Cholesterol Education Program: second report of the Expert Panel on Detection, Evaluation and Treatment of High Blood Cholesterol in Adults (Adult Treatment Panel II). NIH Publication No. 93–3096. Washington , DC : U.S. Department of Health and Human Services; 1993.
- 33World Health Organisation. Community prevention and control of cardiovascular diseases. WHO Technical Report Series 732. Geneva : WHO; 1986.
- 34World Health Organisation. Prevention of diabetes mellitus: report of a WHO study group. WHO Technical Report Series 844. Geneva : WHO; 1994.
- 37WHO study group. Diet, nutrition, and the prevention of chronic diseases. Technical Report Series 797. Geneva : WHO; 1990.
- 39Department of Nutrition. Report of the National Nutrition Survey 1998. Singapore : Ministry of Health; 2000.
- 40Seven countries: a multivariate analysis of death and coronary heart disease. Cambridge , MA : Cambridge University Press; 1980.
- 42Applied regression analysis and other multivariate methods, 3rd ed. Pacific Grove : Duxbury Press; 1998., , ,
- 44US Department of Health and Human Services. Healthy people 2000: Surgeon General's report on health promotion and disease prevention. Washington , DC : US Public Health Service; 1979.
- 50Principles of Nutritional Assessment. New York : Oxford University Press; 1990.
- 51Steering Committee. The Asia-Pacific perspective: redefining obesity and its treatment. Melbourne : International Diabetes Institute; 2000.