Training parents to help their children read: A randomized control trial
Article first published online: 24 DEC 2010
2008 The British Psychological Society
British Journal of Educational Psychology
Volume 78, Issue 3, pages 435–455, September 2008
How to Cite
Sylva, K., Scott, S., Totsika, V., Ereky-Stevens, K. and Crook, C. (2008), Training parents to help their children read: A randomized control trial. British Journal of Educational Psychology, 78: 435–455. doi: 10.1348/000709907X255718
- Issue published online: 24 DEC 2010
- Article first published online: 24 DEC 2010
- Received 21 August 2006; revised version received 8 August 2007
- Probabilistic index: An intuitive non-parametric approach to measuring the size of treatment effects Statistics in Medicine 25 591–602 2006. , , ,
- Problems of behaviour, reading and arithmetic: Assessments of comorbidity using the strengths and difficulties questionnaire British Journal of Educational Psychology 69 4 571–585 1999. , , ,
- Parent-training programmes and behaviour problems: Findings from a systematic review Buchanan, A., Hudson, B. L. Parenting, schooling and children's behaviour 89–109 Aldershot, UK Ashgate Publishing 1998.
- The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic and statistical considerations Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 51 6 1173–1182 1986. ,
- Teaching literacy balancing perspectives London Hodder and Stoughton 1993.
- Does low reading achievement at school entry cause conduct problems? Social Science and Medicine 56 12 2443–2448 2003. , , , ,
- 2002). What works for children with literacy difficulties? The effectiveness of intervention scheme. Research Report no 380. London, UK: Department for Education and Skills. (
- Children's reading problems Oxford, UK Basil Blackwell 1985. ,
- Family and classroom correlates of head start children's developmental outcomes Early Childhood Research Quarterly 9 2 289–304 1994. , , ,
- Hyperactivity and reading disability: A longitudinal study of the nature of the association Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 40 7 1039–1050 1999. , , , ,
- Becoming literate: The construction of inner control Auckland, NZ Heinemann 1991.
- An observation survey of early literacy achievement Portsmouth, NH Heinemann 1993.
- Applied multiple regression/correlation analysis for the behavioural sciences 3rd ed. London, UK LEA 2003. , , ,
- Conners' parent rating scale-revised North Towanda, NY Multi-Health Systems 1997.
- Large group community-based parenting programs for disruptive behaviour disorders: Utilization, cost effectiveness and outcome Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 36 7 1141–1159 1995. , ,
- A performance model for academic achievement in early adolescent boys Developmental Psychology 29 5 795–804 1993. , ,
- 2003). The impact of parental involvement, parental support and family education on pupil achievement and adjustment: A literature review. (Research Report no 433). London, UK: Department for Education and Skills. , & (
- British picture vocabulary scale second edition (BPVS-II) Windsor, UK NFER Nelson 1997. , , ,
- Evaluation of community intervention programme for preschool behaviour problems Journal of Paediatrics and Child Health 38 1 41–50 2002. , , ,
- British ability scales second edition (BAS II) Windsor, UK NFER-Nelson 1996. , ,
- The development of offending and antisocial behaviour from childhood: Key findings from the Cambridge study in delinquent development Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 36 6 929–964 1995.
- More power to the parents: Behavioural approaches to remedial tutoring at home Wheldall, K. The behaviourist in the classroom 69–89 London, UK Allen and Unwin 1987.
- The strengths and difficulties questionnaire Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 38 1 581–586 1997.
- Literacy, home and school: Research and practice in teaching literacy with parents London, UK Falmer 1995.
- Externalizing behavior problems and academic underachievement in childhood and adolescence: Causal relationships and underlying mechanisms Psychological Bulletin 111 1 127–155 1992a.
- Academic underachievement, attention deficits and aggression: Comorbidity and implications for intervention Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology 60 6 893–903 1992b.
- Behaviour problems in specific reading retarded and general reading backward children: A longitudinal study Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 27 1 33–43 1986. , , ,
- Size of treatment effects and their importance to clinical research and practice Biological Psychiatry 59 990–996 2006. ,
- Mediators and moderators of treatment effects in randomised clinical trials Archives of General Psychiatry 59 10 877–883 2002. , , ,
- DSM-IV field trials for attention deficit hyperactivity disorder in children and adolescents American Journal of Psychiatry 151 1673–1685 1994. , , , , , et al.
- Relative efficacy of parent and teacher involvement in a shared reading intervention for preschool children from low-income backgrounds Early Childhood Research Quarterly 13 2 263–290 1998. ,
- Reading problems and antisocial behaviour: Developmental trends in comorbidity Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 37 4 405–418 1996. , , , ,
- The hen or the egg? Which came first – antisocial emotional disorders or reading disability? British Journal of Educational Psychology 49 3 226–238 1979.
- Pause prompt and praise: Effective remedial reading tutoring Birmingham, UK Positive Products 1987. , ,
- A literature review of the impact of early year's provision on young children, with emphasis given to children from disadvantaged backgrounds London National Audit Office 2004.
- The mental health of children and adolescents in Great Britain London, UK National Statistics 2000. , , ,
- Helping readers who have fallen behind Support for Learning 13 2 59–64 1998.
- National Literacy Strategy The national literacy strategy framework for teaching London DfEE 1998.
- National Literacy Trust(2001). Parental involvement and literacy achievement: The research evidence and the way forward. A review of the literature prepared by the National Literacy Trust. (Consultation Paper). Retrieved June 23, 2003, from London, UK: National Literacy Trust web-site: http:www.literacytrust.org.ukResearchconsultation.pdf.
- Confidence Intervals for an effect size measure based on the Mann–Whitney statistics. Part 1: General Issues and tail-area-based methods Statistics in Medicine 25 543–557 2006.
- A developmental perspective on antisocial behavior American Psychologist 44 2 329–335 1989. , ,
- Surveying and screening preschool language development in community-focused intervention programmes: A review of instruments Child Care Health and Development 28 3 251–264 2002. , ,
- Reading instruction that works: The case for balanced teaching New York Guilford 1998.
- The state of educational intervention research as viewed through the lens of literacy intervention. Annual review British Journal of Educational Psychology 76 1 1–19 2006. , ,
- Prevention of conduct disorder before and after school entry: Relating interventions to developmental findings Development and Psychopathology 5 243–262 1993.
- Whole Language in TESOL TESOL Quarterly 25 3 521–541 1991.
- Reading retardation and antisocial behaviour: The nature of the association Rutter, M., Tizard, J., Whitmore, K. Education, health, and behaviour 240–255 London, UK Longmans 1970. ,
- 1993). Significant benefits: The High/Scope Perry Preschool study through age 27. Monographs of the High/Scope Educational Research Foundation, 10. Ypsilanti, MI: High/Scope Press. , , & (
- Fortnightly review: Aggressive behaviour in childhood British Medical Journal 316 202–206 1998.
- Multicentre controlled trial of parenting groups for childhood antisocial behaviour in clinical practice British Medical Journal 323 194–197 2001. , , , ,
- The SPOKES project: Supporting Parents on Kids Education Final Report. London, UK Department of Health 2002. ,
- Randomized controlled trial of parenting groups targeting multiple risk factors for child antisocial behaviour: the SPOKES project Manuscript submitted 2008. , , , , , ,
- Hyperactivity and spelling disability: Testing for shared genetic aetiology Journal of Child Psychology and Psychiatry 34 7 1137–1152 1993. , , , ,
- SPOKES home literacy programme: Supporting Parents on Kids Education Unpublished manual 2000. ,
- Effective provision of pre-school education: Final report London Department for Education and Skills 2004. , , , ,
- The epidemiology of childhood hyperactivity New York Oxford University Press 1991. , , ,
- Conduct disorder and hyperactivity: I. Separation of hyperactivity and antisocial conduct in British child psychiatric patients British Journal of Psychiatry 149 760–767 1986. , , ,
- Collaboration between teachers and parents in assisting children's reading British Journal of Educational Psychology 52 1 1–15 1982. , ,
- Parents hearing their children read: A review. Rethinking the lessons of the Haringey project Educational Research 35 3 223–236 1993.
- Paired reading, spelling & writing: The handbook for teachers and parents London, UK Cassell 1995.
- Structuring school-based interventions to achieve integrated primary, secondary and tertiary prevention goals for safe and effective schools Shinn, M. R., Walker, H. M., Stoner, G. Interventions for academic and behaviour problems II: Preventive and remedial approaches 1–26 Bethesda, MD National Association of School Psychologists 2002. ,
- Training for parents of young children with conduct disorders: Content, methods, and therapeutic processes Schaefer, C. E., Briesmeister, J. M. Handbook of parent training 98–152 New York Wiley 1998. ,
- Effective classroom learning: A behavioural interactionist approach to teaching Oxford, UK Basil Blackwell 1989. ,
- 1995). Long-term effects of early childhood programs on social outcomes and delinquency. The Future of Children: Long-Term Outcomes of Early Childhood Programs, 5(3), 51–75. Retrieved June 17, 2003, Princeton University: The Woodrow Wilson School of Public and International Affairs web-site: http:www.futureofchildren.orgpubs-info2825pubs-info.htmdocid 77657. (
- Effects of a shared reading intervention on the inclusion of evaluative devices in narratives of children from low-income families Applied Developmental Psychology 24 1 1–15 2003. , ,