Work engagement and financial returns: A diary study on the role of job and personal resources
Article first published online: 10 JAN 2011
2009 The British Psychological Society
Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology
Volume 82, Issue 1, pages 183–200, March 2009
How to Cite
Xanthopoulou, D., Bakker, A. B., Demerouti, E. and Schaufeli, W. B. (2009), Work engagement and financial returns: A diary study on the role of job and personal resources. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 82: 183–200. doi: 10.1348/096317908X285633
- Issue published online: 10 JAN 2011
- Article first published online: 10 JAN 2011
- Received 5 July 2007; revised version received 28 January 2008
- 2009). Building engagement in the workplace. In C. L.Cooper & R. J.Burke (Eds.), The peak performing organization (pp. 50–72). Routledge. (
- The job demands–resources model: State of the art Journal of Managerial Psychology 22 309–328 2007.
- Using the job demands–resources model to predict burnout and performance Human Resource Management 43 83–104 2004.
- Human agency in social cognitive theory American Psychologist 44 1175–1184 1989.
- The moderator–mediator variable distinction in social psychological research: Conceptual, strategic, and statistical considerations Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 51 1173–1182 1986.
- An episodic process model of affective influences on performance Journal of Applied Psychology 90 1054–1068 2005.
- When a happy worker is really a productive worker: A review and further refinement of the happy-productive worker thesis Consulting Psychology Journal: Practice and Research 53 182–199 2001.
- Intrinsic motivation and self-determination in human behavior New York Plenum Press 1985.
- Flexible working times: Consequences on employees' burnout, work-nonwork conflict, and performance Shiftwork International Newsletter 20 61 2003.
- Self-determination theory and work motivation Journal of Organizational Behavior 26 331–362 2005.
- State or trait: Effects of positive mood on prosocial behaviors at work Journal of Applied Psychology 76 299–307 1991.
- Self-efficacy: A theoretical analysis of its determinants and malleability Academy of Management Review 17 183–211 1992.
- The transformation of professionals into self-managing and partially self-designing contributors: Toward a theory of leadership making Journal of Management Systems 3 25–39 1991.
- Work redesign Reading, MA Addison-Wesley 1980.
- Social and psychological resources and adaptation Review of General Psychology 6 307–324 2002.
- Multilevel analysis: Techniques and applications London Erlbaum 2002.
- Employee well-being: A multilevel model linking work and nonwork domains European Journal of Work and Organizational Psychology 16 326–341 2007.
- Explaining affective linkages in teams: Individual differences in susceptibility to contagion and individualism-collectivism Journal of Applied Psychology 92 1140–1148 2007.
- Does a positive gain spiral of resources, efficacy beliefs and engagement exists? Computers in Human Behavior 23 825–841 2007.
- Psychological capital development: Toward a micro-intervention Journal of Organizational Behavior 27 387–393 2006.
- Emerging positive organizational behavior Journal of Management 33 321–349 2007.
- The relation between group cohesiveness and performance: An integration Psychological Bulletin 115 210–227 1994.
- Organizational-based self-esteem: Construct definition, measurement, and validation Academy of Management Journal 32 622–648 1989.
- MLwiN (Version 1.10.006): Interactive software for multilevel analysis London Multilevel Models Project, Institute of Education, University of London 2000.
- Job demands, job resources, and their relationship with burnout and engagement: A multi-sample study Journal of Organizational Behavior 25 293–315 2004.
- The measurement of work engagement with a short questionnaire: A cross-national study Educational and Psychological Measurement 66 701–716 2006.
- Distinguishing optimism from neuroticism (and trait anxiety, self-mastery, and self-esteem): A re-evaluation of the Life Orientation Test Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 67 1063–1078 1994.
- Generalized self-efficacy scale Weinman, J. WrightS. JohnstonM. Measures in health psychology: A user's portfolio. Causal and control beliefs 35–37 Windsor, UK NFER-NELSON 1995.
- What makes for a good day? Competence and autonomy in the day and in the person Personality and Social Psychology Bulletin 22 1270–1279 1996.
- Recovery, work engagement, and proactive behavior: A new look at the interface between non-work and work Journal of Applied Psychology 88 518–528 2003.
- Self-efficacy and work-related performance: A meta-analysis Psychological Bulletin 124 240–261 1998.
- The relative validity of inferences about mediation as a function of research design characteristics Organizational Research Methods 11 326–352 2008.
- Catching moods and hitting runs: Mood linkage and subjective performance in professional sport teams Journal of Applied Psychology 85 848–859 2000.
- Work motivation and performance: A social identity perspective Applied psychology: An International Review 49 357–371 2000.
- The role of personal resources in the job demands–resources model International Journal of Stress Management 14 121–141 2007.