Interface between work and family: A longitudinal individual and crossover perspective
Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2010
2010 The British Psychological Society
Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology
Volume 83, Issue 1, pages 119–137, March 2010
How to Cite
Kinnunen, U., Feldt, T., Mauno, S. and Rantanen, J. (2010), Interface between work and family: A longitudinal individual and crossover perspective. Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology, 83: 119–137. doi: 10.1348/096317908X399420
- Issue online: 24 DEC 2010
- Version of Record online: 24 DEC 2010
- Received 21 January 2008; revised version received 27 November 2008
- Parenting stress index manual Charlottesville, VA Pediatric Psychology Press 1990.
- Consequences associated with work-to-family conflict: A review and agenda for future research Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 5 278–308 2000. , , ,
- Rhythms of life: Antecedents and outcomes of work-family balance in employed parents Journal of Applied Psychology 90 132–146 2005. , ,
- The crossover of burnout and work engagement among couples Human Relations 58 661–689 2005. , ,
- Toward a review and re-conceptualization of the work/family literature Generic, Social, and General Psychology Monographs 124 125–182 1998.
- Change in job and marital experiences and change in psychological distress: A longitudinal study of dual-earner couples Journal of Personality and Social Psychology 69 839–850 1995. , , , ,
- The contagion of stress across multiple roles Journal of Marriage and the Family 51 175–183 1989. , , ,
- Predicting work-family conflict from workload, job attitudes, group attributes, and health: A longitudinal study Military Psychology 17 203–227 2005. ,
- A meta-analytic review of work-family conflict and its antecedents Journal of Vocational Behavior 67 169–198 2005.
- Review of research methods in IO/OB work-family research Journal of Applied Psychology 92 28–43 2007. , , , ,
- The loss spiral of work pressure, work-home interference and exhaustion: Reciprocal relations in a three-wave study Journal of Vocational Behavior 64 131–149 2004. , ,
- Spillover and crossover of exhaustion and life satisfaction among dual-earner parents Journal of Vocational Behavior 67 266–289 2005. , ,
- The Relationships between work characteristics and mental health: Examining normal, reversed and reciprocal relationships in a 4-wave study Work & Stress 18 149–166 2004. , , , ,
- Job satisfaction: A meta-analysis of stabilities Journal of Organizational Behavior 22 483–504 2001. ,
- Interrole conflicts and the permeability of work and family domains: Are there gender differences? Journal of Vocational Behavior 50 168–184 1997. , ,
- Work and family research in IO/OB: Content analysis and review of the literature (1980–2002) Journal of Vocational Behavior 66 124–197 2005. , , , ,
- Mechanisms linking work and family: Clarifying the relationship between work and family constructs Academy of Management Review 25 178–199 2000. ,
- Work and family satisfaction and conflict: A meta-analysis of cross-domain relations Journal of Applied Psychology 92 57–80 2007. , ,
- Work-family balance Quick, J. C., Tetrick, L. E. Handbook of occupational health psychology 143–162 Washington, DC American Psychological Association 2003.
- Antecedents and outcomes of work-family conflict: Testing a model of the work-family interface Journal of Applied Psychology 77 65–78 1992. , ,
- Relation of work-family conflict and health outcomes: A four-year longitudinal study of employed parents Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 70 325–335 1997a. , ,
- Developing and testing an integrative model of the work-family interface Journal of Vocational Behavior 50 145–167 1997b. , ,
- Work/non-work interface: A review of theories and findings Schabracq, M. J., Winnubst, J. A. M., Cooper, C. L. The handbook of work and health psychology 279–312 Chichester Wiley 2003. ,
- A longitudinal and multi-source test of the work-family conflict and job satisfaction relationship Journal of Occupational and Organizational Psychology 78 305–323 2005. , ,
- The Conservation of Resources Model applied to work-family conflict and strain Journal of Vocational Behavior 54 350–370 1999. ,
- Consequences of work-family conflict on employee well-being over time Work & Stress 15 214–226 2001. ,
- Sources and conflict between work and family roles Academy of Management Review 10 76–88 1985. ,
- Rational versus gender role explanations for work-family conflict Journal of Applied Psychology 76 560–568 1991. , ,
- Work redesign Reading, MA Addison-Wesley 1980. ,
- Multivariate data analysis 6th ed. Upper Saddle River, NJ Prentice Hall 2006. , , , ,
- Work-family conflict in dual-earner couples: Within-individual and crossover effects of work and family Journal of Vocational Behavior 50 185–203 1997. , ,
- Work-family conflict and work-related withdrawal behaviors Journal of Business and Psychology 17 419–436 2003. , ,
- The longitudinal effects of work-family conflict and positive spillover on depressive symptoms among dual-earner couples Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 10 138–154 2005. , , , ,
- Conversation of resources. A new approach at conceptualizing stress American Psychologist 44 513–524 1989.
- The relationship between work-to-family conflict and family-to-work conflict: A longitudinal study Journal of Family and Economic Issues 25 79–100 2004. , , ,
- Measuring job stressors and strains: Where we have been, where we are, and where we need to go Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 3 4 368–389 1998. , ,
- An empirical study of occupational stress transmission in working couples Human Relations 6 881–903 1993. ,
- The source, nature, and direction of work and family conflict: A longitudinal investigation Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 4 337–346 1999. , ,
- Economic stress and marital adjustment among couples: Analyses at the dyadic level European Journal of Social Psychology 34 519–532 2004. ,
- Work-to-family conflict and its relationship with satisfaction and well-being: A one-year longitudinal study on gender differences Work & Stress 18 1–22 2004. , ,
- Antecedents and outcomes of work-family conflict among employed women and men in Finland Human Relations 51 157–177 1998. ,
- Work-family conflict in individuals' lives: Prevalence, antecedents, and outcomes Näswall, K., Hellgren, J., Sverke, M. The individual in the changing working life 126–146 Cambridge Cambridge University Press 2008. ,
- Work-family conflict, policies, and the job-life satisfaction relationship: A review and directions for organizational behavior-human resources research Journal of Applied Psychology 83 139–149 1998. ,
- Work, home, and in-between: A longitudinal study of spillover Journal of Applied Behavioral Science 32 29–47 1996. ,
- Work-to-relationship conflict: Crossover effects in dual earner couples Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 11 228–240 2006. , , ,
- The effects of job stressors on marital satisfaction in Finnish dual-earner couples Journal of Organizational Behavior 20 879–895 1999. ,
- Mplus user's guide 4th ed. Los Angeles, CA Muthén & Muthén 2006. ,
- Development and validation of work-family and family-work conflict scales Journal of Applied Psychology 81 400–410 1996. , ,
- Work-home interference, job stressors, and employee health in a longitudinal perspective International Journal of Stress Management 4 305–322 2004. , , ,
- Work-family conflict and psychological well-being: Stability and cross-lagged relations within one- and six-year follow-ups Journal of Vocational Behavior 73 37–51 2008. , , ,
- Bringing up adolescent children. A longitudinal study of parents' child-rearing stress Journal of Behavioral Development 26 410–422 2002. , ,
- A longitudinal panel study on antecedents and outcomes of work-home interference Journal of Vocational Behavior 73 231–241 2008. , ,
- The measurement of work to family conflict Educational and Psychological Measurement 56 475–486 1996. ,
- No security: A meta-analysis and review of job insecurity and its consequences Journal of Occupational Health Psychology 7 242–264 2002. , ,
- Disentangling the causal relationship between work-home interference and employee health Scandinavian Journal of Work, Environment, and Health 31 15–29 2005. , , , , ,
- 1989). JDS - Job Diagnostic Survey - katsaus menetelmään [JDS - a review]. Katsaus no 112. Teknillinen korkeakoulu, teollisuustalous ja työpsykologia, Helsinki. (
- Linkages between the work-family interface and work, family, and individual outcomes Journal of Family Issues 23 138–164 2002.
- Stress and strain crossover Human Relations 54 717–751 2001.
- Cross-cultural differences in crossover research Poelmans, S. Work and family. An international research perspective 241–260 Mahwah, NJ Lawrence Erlbaum 2005.
- Crossover of stress and strain in the work-family context Jones, F., Burke, R., Westman, M. Work-life balance. A psychological perspective 163–184 New York Psychology Press 2006.
- Crossover of stress, strain and resources from one spouse to another Journal of Organizational Psychology 16 169–181 1995. ,
- The work-family interface and burnout International Journal of Stress Management 11 413–428 2004. , ,