The authors have no conflict of interest.
Reduced Incidence of Hip Fracture in the Old Order Amish†
Article first published online: 16 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 2, pages 308–313, February 2004
How to Cite
Streeten, E. A., Mcbride, D. J., Lodge, A. L., Pollin, T. I., Stinchcomb, D. G., Agarwala, R., Schäffer, A. A., Shapiro, J. R., Shuldiner, A. R. and Mitchell, B. D. (2004), Reduced Incidence of Hip Fracture in the Old Order Amish. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 308–313. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.0301223
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 16 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 10 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 18 AUG 2003
- Manuscript Received: 11 APR 2003
- 12001 Osteoporosis. In: BeckerKL (ed.) Principles and Practices of Endocrinology and Metabolism. Williams and Wilkins, Philadelphia, PA, USA, pp. 624–625.,
- 21994 Pathogenesis of osteoporosis and fracture. In: Osteoporosis. Blackwell Science Ltd, Oxford, UK, pp. 22–54.
- 32001 Falls as Risk Factors for Fractures. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA., ,
- 41985 Rising incidence of fracture of the proximal femur. Lancet 1:150–151.,
- 51990 Hip fracture in Hong Kong and Britain. Int J Epidemiol 19:1119–1121., , , ,
- 62000 Diabetes in the Old Order Amish: Characterization and heritability analysis of the Amish Family Diabetes Study. Diabetes Care 23:595–601., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 71996 Church Directory of the Lancaster County Amish. Pequea Publishers, Gordonsville, PA, USA.
- 81988 Fisher Family History: Descendants and History of Christian Fisher (1757–1838). Eby's Quality Printing, Ronks, PA, USA.
- 92001 Towards a complete North American Anabaptist Genealogy II: Analysis of inbreeding. Hum Biol 73:533–545., ,
- 101998 Software for constructing and verifying pedigrees within large genealogies and an application to the Old Order Amish of Lancaster County. Genome Res 8:211–221., , , ,
- 111999 United States life tables, 1997. Natl Vital Stat Rep 47:1–37.
- 121993 Hip fracture rates in Hong Kong and the United States, 1988 through 1989. Am J Public Health 83:694–697., , , ,
- 131980 Foundations of Epidemiology. Oxford University Press, New York, NY, USA, pp. 78–80.,
- 141997 Prevalence of low femoral bone density in older US adults from NHANES III. J Bone Miner Res 12:1761–1768., , , , , , , ,
- 151994 The diagnosis of osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 9:1137–1141., , , ,
- 16World Health Organization 1994 Assessment of Fracture Risk and its Application to Screening for Postmenopausal Osteoporosis, Technical Report Series No. 843. World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland.
- 171998 Updated data on proximal femur bone mineral levels of US adults. Osteoporos Int 8:468–489., , , , , , ,
- 182002 Fracture rates lower in rural than urban communities: The Geelong Osteoporosis Study. J Epidemiol Community Health 56:466–470., , , , ,
- 192002 Evaluation of the age-adjusted incidence of hip fractures between urban and rural areas: The difference is not related to the prevalence of institutions for the elderly. Osteoporos Int 13:113–118., , , , , ,
- 202003 Physical activity and prevention of type 2 diabetes. Lancet 361:87–88., ,
- 211999 Site-specific effects of strength training on bone structure and geometry of ultradistal radius in postmenopausal women. J Bone Miner Res 14:120–124., , , ,
- 221994 Stimulation of bone growth through sports. A radiologic investigation of the upper extremities in professional tennis players. Am J Sports Med 22:751–757., , , ,
- 231996 Dimensions and estimated mechanical characteristics of the humerus after long-term tennis loading. J Bone Miner Res 11:864–872., , , , ,
- 241985 The effect of athletic activity on the bone mass in human diaphyseal bone. Orthopedics 8:1139–1141., , ,
- 25for the Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group 1998 Physical activity and osteoporotic fracture risk in older women. Ann Intern Med 129:81–88., , , , ,
- 261993 Past and recent physical activity and risk of hip fracture. Am J Epidemiol 138:107–118., ,
- 271995 Lifetime occupational physical activity and risk of hip fracture in women. Ann Epidemiol 5:321–324., ,
- 282001 Genome-wide scan of obesity in the Old Order Amish. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:1199–1205., , , , , , , , , ,