The authors have no conflict of interest.
BMD Is Reduced in HIV-Infected Men Irrespective of Treatment†
Article first published online: 22 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 3, pages 402–409, March 2004
How to Cite
Amiel, C., Ostertag, A., Slama, L., Baudoin, C., N'Guyen, T., Lajeunie, E., Neit-Ngeilh, L., Rozenbaum, W. and De Vernejoul, M. (2004), BMD Is Reduced in HIV-Infected Men Irrespective of Treatment. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 402–409. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.0301246
- Issue published online: 2 DEC 2009
- Article first published online: 22 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 15 OCT 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 18 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 11 JUL 2003
- 11998 Declining morbidity and mortality among patients with advanced human immunodeficiency virus infection. HIV Outpatient Study Investigators. N Engl J Med 338:853–860., , , , , , ,
- 21998 A syndrome of peripheral lipodystrophy, hyperlipidaemia and insulin resistance in patients receiving HIV protease inhibitors. AIDS 12:F51–F58., , , , , ,
- 31998 Abnormal fat accumulation in patients with HIV-1 infection. Lancet 351:847–848.
- 42000 Accelerated bone mineral loss in HIV-infected patients receiving potent antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 14:F63–F67., , , , , ,
- 51998 Osteoporosis in men. Endocrinol Metab Clin North Am 27:349–367.
- 61999 Osteoporosis in men. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3431–3434.
- 72001 Reduced bone mineral density in HIV-positive individuals. AIDS 15:1731–1733., , , , , , ,
- 82001 Increased abdominal visceral fat is associated with reduced bone density in HIV-infected men with lipodystrophy. AIDS 15:975–982., , , ,
- 91999 A critical evaluation of simple methods for the estimation of free testosterone in serum. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:3666–3672., ,
- 101999 Lme and nlme: Mixed-Effects Methods and Classes for S and S-PLUS Version 30 Bell Labs. Lucent Technologies and University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI.,
- 112001 Asteopenia in HIV-infected men: Association with asymptomatic lactic acidemia and lower weight pre-antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 15:703–709., , ,
- 122001 Pathological fractures in AIDS patients with osteopenia and osteoporosis induced by antiretroviral therapy. AIDS 15:137–138., , , , , ,
- 132001 Effect of highly active antiretroviral therapy on fat, lean, and bone mass in HIV-seropositive men and women. Am J Clin Nutr 74:679–686., , , , ,
- 142001 Stable or increasing bone mineral density in HIV-infected patients treated with nelfinavir or indinavir. AIDS 15:1275–1280., , , , , , , ,
- 152003 Longitudinal evolution of bone mineral density and bone markers in human immunodeficiency virus-infected individuals. Clin Infect Dis 36:482–490., , , , , , ,
- 161999 Decreased bone formative and enhanced resorptive markers in human immunodeficiency virus infection: Indication of normalization of the bone-remodeling process during highly active antiretroviral therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 84:145–150., , , , , , ,
- 172002 Select HIV protease inhibitors alter bone and fat metabolism ex vivo. J Biol Chem 277:19247–19250.,
- 182001 Bone and mineral metabolism in human immunodeficiency virus infection. J Bone Miner Res 16:2–9., ,
- 191999 Lipodystrophy defined by a clinical score in HIV-infected men on highly active antiretroviral therapy: Correlation between dyslipidaemia and steroid hormone alterations. AIDS 13:2251–2260., , , , ,
- 202001 The insulin-like growth factor system in human immunodeficiency virus infection: Relations to immunological parameters, disease progression, and antiretroviral therapy. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:227–233., , , , , ,
- 211998 Normal growth hormone secretory reserve in men with idiopathic osteoporosis and reduced circulating levels of insulin-like growth factor-I. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 83:2576–2579., , ,
- 221993 Immunobiological aspects of HIV treatment. Curr Opin Immunol 5:608–614.
- 231996 Host factors and the pathogenesis of HIV-induced disease. Nature 384:529–534.
- 241996 Cytokines and skeletal physiology. Clin Orthop 324:13–23.,
- 251998 Increased bone resorbing activity of peripheral monocyte culture supernatants in elderly women. J Clin Endocr Metab 83:1687–1690., , , , , ,
- 261998 Control of bone formation and resorption: Biological and clinical perspective. J Cell Biochem 31(Suppl):55–61.
- 272001 Osteopenia in eugonadal men with acquired immune deficiency syndrome wasting syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 86:2020–2026., , ,