Dr Rosen is an investigator of clinical studies for Aventis, Eli Lilly and Company, Merck & Co., Inc., Novartis, and Wyeth. Dr Turner served as a consultant for Eli Lilly and Company and Merck & Co., Inc. All other authors have no conflict of interest.
Mapping Quantitative Trait Loci for Vertebral Trabecular Bone Volume Fraction and Microarchitecture in Mice†
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 587–599, April 2004
How to Cite
Bouxsein, M. L., Uchiyama, T., Rosen, C. J., Shultz, K. L., Donahue, L. R., Turner, C. H., Sen, S., Churchill, G. A., Müller, R. and Beamer, W. G. (2004), Mapping Quantitative Trait Loci for Vertebral Trabecular Bone Volume Fraction and Microarchitecture in Mice. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 587–599. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.0301255
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 30 SEP 2003
- Manuscript Received: 5 MAY 2003
- 1Anonymous 2001 Osteoporosis prevention, diagnosis, and therapy. JAMA 285:785–795.
- 22001 Biomechanics of age-related fractures. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJL (eds.) Osteoporosis, 2nd ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 509–534.
- 31998 Family history and risk of osteoporotic fracture. Study of Osteoporotic Fractures Research Group. Osteoporos Int 8:557–562., , ,
- 41999 Family history of appendicular fracture and risk of osteoporosis: A population-based study. Osteoporos Int 10:161–166., , , ,
- 51999 Genetics of osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 20:788–804.
- 62000 Role of genetic factors in the pathogenesis of osteoporosis. J Endocrinol 166:235–245.,
- 72002 Genetics of osteoporosis. Endocr Rev 23:303–326., , ,
- 82001 Genome screen for quantitative trait loci underlying normal variation in femoral structure. J Bone Miner Res 16:985–991., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 92003 Quantitative genetic study of radiographic hand bone size and geometry. Bone 32:191–198., ,
- 101991 Genetic factors in bone turnover. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 72:808–813., , , , ,
- 111994 Genetic influences on type I collagen synthesis and degradation: Further evidence for genetic regulation of bone turnover. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 78:1461–1466., , , , , , , ,
- 121996 Genetic influence on bone turnover in postmenopausal twins. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 81:140–146., , , ,
- 131998 Genetic and environmental correlations between bone formation and bone mineral density: A twin study. Bone 22:141–145., , , ,
- 142001 Genetics and genomics of osteoporosis. In: MarcusR, FeldmanD, KelseyJ (eds.) Osteoporosis, Vol. 2. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, USA, pp. 639–668., ,
- 152000 Genetic epidemiological approaches to the search for osteoporosis genes. J Bone Miner Res 15:392–401., ,
- 162002 Irresistable force meets immovable object: SNP mapping of complex diseases. Trends Genet 18:76–69.
- 172002 Mapping quantitative trait loci that influence femoral cross-sectional area in mice. J Bone Miner Res 17:1752–1760., , , , , , , ,
- 182002 From QTL to gene: The harvest begins. Nat Genet 31:235–236.,
- 192003 Congenic strains of mice for verification and genetic decomposition of quantitative trait loci for femoral bone mineral density. J Bone Miner Res 18:175–185., , , , ,
- 202003 From QTL mapping to genes: The long and winding road. J Bone Miner Res 18:186–189.
- 211998 Quantitative trait loci affecting peak bone mineral density in mice. J Bone Miner Res 13:1648–1656., , , ,
- 222000 Chromosomal mapping of osteopenia-associated quantitative trait loci using closely related mouse strains. J Bone Miner Res 15:626–633., , , , , ,
- 232001 Confirmation and fine mapping of chromosomal regions influencing peak bone mass in mice. J Bone Miner Res 16:1953–1961., , , , , , ,
- 242001 Gender specificity in the genetic determinants of peak bone mass. J Bone Miner Res 16:1962–1971., ,
- 252001 Chromosome 13 locus, Pbd2, regulates bone density in mice. J Bone Miner Res 16:1972–1982., , , , , , , ,
- 261999 Quantitative trait loci for bone density in C57BL/6J and CAST/EiJ inbred mice. Mamm Genome 10:1043–1049., , , , , ,
- 272001 Quantitative trait loci for femoral and lumbar vertebral bone mineral density in C57BL/6J and C3H/HeJ inbred strains of mice. J Bone Miner Res 16:1195–1206., , , , , , ,
- 281999 Identification of peak bone mass QTL in a spontaneously osteoporotic mouse strain. Mamm Genome 10:81–87., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 292002 Identification of five genetic markers in mice that influence femoral size and shape. J Bone Miner Res 17:S321., , , , , ,
- 302001 Genetic loci determining bone density in mice with diet-induced atherosclerosis. Physiol Genomics 5:205–215., , , , , , , ,
- 312001 Quantitative trait loci (QTLs) mapping for growth traits in the mouse: A review. Genet Sel Evol 33:105–132.,
- 322001 Quantitative trait loci affecting growth in high growth (hg) mice. Mamm Genome 12:284–290., ,
- 332003 Characterization of a QTL affecting skeletal size in mice. Mamm Genome 14:175–183., , , ,
- 342002 Genetic dissection of femur breaking strength in a large population (MRL/MpJ × SJL/J) of F2 Mice: Single QTL effects, epistasis, and pleiotropy. Genomics 79:734–740., , , , ,
- 352003 Genetic effects for femoral biomechanics, structure and density in C57BL/6J and C3H/HeJ inbred mouse strains. J Bone Miner Res 18:1758–1765., , , , , , , ,
- 361969 The relative contribution of trabecular and cortical bone to the strength of human lumbar vertebrae. Calcif Tissue Res 3:163–175., ,
- 371990 Sex differences in age-related changes in vertebral body size, density and biomechanical competence in normal individuals. Bone 11:67–73.,
- 381997 Load sharing between the shell and centrum in the lumbar vertebral body. Spine 22:140–150., ,
- 391995 Stress distributions within the proximal femur during gait and falls: Implications for osteoporotic fracture. Osteoporos Int 5:252–261., ,
- 401996 Genetic variability in adult bone density among inbred strains of mice. Bone 18:397–403., , ,
- 411997 Circulating and skeletal insulin-like growth factor-I (IGF-I) concentrations in two inbred strains of mice with different bone mineral densities. Bone 21:217–223., , , , , , , , ,
- 421998 Alkaline phosphatase levels and osteoprogenitor cell numbers suggest bone formation may contribute to peak bone density differences between two inbred strains of mice. Bone 22:211–216., , , , , , ,
- 431998 Bone response to in vivo mechanical loading in two breeds of mice. Calcif Tissue Int 63:442–449., , , ,
- 441999 Histomorphometric studies show that bone formation and bone mineral apposition rates are greater in C3H/HeJ (high-density) than C57BL/6J (low-density) mice during growth. Bone 25:421–429., , , , , ,
- 451999 Cortical tibial bone volume in two strains of mice: Effects of sciatic neurectomy and genetic regulation of bone response to mechanical loading. Bone 25:183–190., , , , , , , , , ,
- 461999 Strain differences in bone density and calcium metabolism between C3H/HeJ and C57BL/6J mice. Bone 25:413–420.,
- 472000 Genetic regulation of cortical and trabecular bone strength and microstructure in inbred strains of mice. J Bone Miner Res 15:1126–1131., , , , , , , ,
- 482001 Postnatal and pubertal skeletal changes contribute predominantly to the differences in peak bone density between C3H/HeJ and C57BL/6J mice. J Bone Miner Res 16:386–397., , , , , , , , ,
- 492003 Hierarchical relationship between bone traits and mechanical properties in inbred mice. Mamm Genome 14:97–104., , ,
- 501996 A microtomographic system for the nondestructive evaluation of bone architecture. Calcif Tissue Int 58:24–29., ,
- 511997 A new method for the model independent assessment of thickness in three-dimensional images. J Microsc 185:67–75.,
- 521999 Direct three-dimensional morphometric analysis of human cancellous bone: Microstructural data from spine, femur, iliac crest, and calcaneus. J Bone Miner Res 14:1167–1174., , , ,
- 531997 Three-dimensional methods for quantification of cancellous bone architecture. Bone 20:315–328.
- 541997 Quantification of bone microarchitecture with the structure model index. Comp Methods Biomech Biomed Eng 1:5–23.,
- 551996 A comprehensive genetic map of the mouse genome. Nature 380:149–152., , , , , , , , ,
- 562000 Mapping quantitative trait loci for serum insulin-like growth factor-1 levels in mice. Bone 27:521–528., , , , , , ,
- 571999 Multiple interval mapping for quantitative trait loci. Genetics 152:1203–1216., ,
- 582001 A statistical framework for quantitative trait mapping. Genetics 159:371–387.,
- 591993 Interval mapping of multiple quantitative trait loci. Genetics 135:205–211.
- 601998 The effect of modelling and remodelling on human vertebral body architecture. Technol Health Care 6:287–297.
- 612001 Osteoporosis changes the amount of vertebral trabecular bone at risk of fracture but not the vertebral load distribution. Spine 26:1555–1561., , , ,
- 621949 Fallacy of per-weight and per-surface are standards, and their relation to spurious correlation. J Appl Physiol 2:1–15.
- 632002 Predicting human vertebral bone strength by vertebral static histomorphometry. Bone 30:502–508., ,
- 642002 Generation of a new congenic mouse strain to test the relationships among serum insulin-like growth factor I, bone mineral density, and skeletal morphology in vivo. J Bone Miner Res 17:570–579., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 652000 Genetic variations in bone density, histomorphometry, and strength in mice. Calcif Tissue Int 67:337–344., , , , ,
- 662002 B6. C3H congenic mouse strains exhibit site-specific alterations in femoral and vertebral trabecular bone mass and microarchitecture. J Bone Miner Res 17:S176., , , , , , , ,
- 671999 Statistical methods for mapping quantitative trait loci from a dense set of markers. Genetics 151:373–386.,
- 682002 Initial sequencing and comparative analysis of the mouse genome. Nature 420:520–562., , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , et al.
- 692000 Genome screen for QTLs contributing to normal variation in bone mineral density and osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 85:3116–3120., , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 702001 Variance component linkage analysis indicates a QTL for femoral neck bone mineral density on chromosome 1p36. Hum Mol Genet 10:2447–2452., , , , , ,
- 712003 Comparison of genome screens for two independent cohorts provides replication of suggestive linkage of bone mineral density to 3p21 and 1p36. Am J Hum Genet 72:144–155., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 721998 First-stage autosomal genome screen in extended pedigrees suggests genes predisposing to low bone mineral density on chromosomes 1p, 2p and 4q. Eur J Hum Genet 6:151–157., , , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 732002 A whole-genome linkage scan suggests several genomic regions potentially containing quantitative trait Loci for osteoporosis. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5151–5159., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 742002 Genome screen for quantitative trait loci contributing to normal variation in bone mineral density: The Framingham Study. J Bone Miner Res 17:1718–1727., , , , , ,
- 752004 Genomics and osteoporosis: What are the implications? IBMS Bone Key 2010.1138/ibmske: 20040121.
- 762002 Changes in bone structure and mass with advancing age in the male C57BL/6J mouse. J Bone Miner Res 17:1044–1050., , , , ,
- 772000 Biomechanical consequences of an isolated overload on the human vertebral body. J Orthop Res 18:685–690., ,
- 782000 Variations in three-dimensional cancellous bone architecture of the proximal femur in female hip fractures and in controls. J Bone Miner Res 15:32–40., , ,
- 792000 Trabecular bone microarchitecture, bone mineral density, and vertebral fractures in male osteoporosis. J Bone Miner Res 15:13–19., , , , , , ,
- 802000 Trabecular architecture in women and men of similar bone mass with and without vertebral fracture: I. two-dimensional histology. Bone 27:271–276., , , , ,
- 812000 Trabecular architecture in women and men of similar bone mass with and without vertebral fracture: II. three-dimensional histology. Bone 27:277–282., , , ,
- 822001 A COL1A1 Sp1 binding site polymorphism predisposes to osteoporotic fracture by affecting bone density and quality. J Clin Invest 107:899–907., , , , , , ,
- 832002 Cancellous bone mechanical properties from normals and patients with hip fractures differ on the structure level, not on the bone hard tissue level. Bone 30:759–764., , , , ,