The authors have no conflict of interest.
Fracture Incidence in Polyostotic Fibrous Dysplasia and the McCune-Albright Syndrome†
Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2003
Copyright © 2004 ASBMR
Journal of Bone and Mineral Research
Volume 19, Issue 4, pages 571–577, April 2004
How to Cite
Leet, A. I., Chebli, C., Kushner, H., Chen, C. C., Kelly, M. H., Brillante, B. A., Robey, P. G., Bianco, P., Wientroub, S. and Collins, M. T. (2004), Fracture Incidence in Polyostotic Fibrous Dysplasia and the McCune-Albright Syndrome. J Bone Miner Res, 19: 571–577. doi: 10.1359/JBMR.0301262
- Issue online: 2 DEC 2009
- Version of Record online: 22 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Accepted: 19 DEC 2003
- Manuscript Revised: 30 JUL 2003
- Manuscript Received: 30 MAY 2003
- 11942 Fibrous dysplasia of bone: A condition affecting one, several or many bones, graver cases of which may present abnormal pigmentation of skin, premature sexual development, hyperthyroidism or still other extraskeletal abnormalities. Arch Path 33:777–816.,
- 21997 Fibrous dysplasia of bone in the McCune-Albright syndrome: Abnormalities in bone formation. Am J Pathol 151:1587–1600., , , , ,
- 31998 Fibroosseous lesions. In: DorfmanHD, CzerniakB (eds.) Bone Tumors. Mosby, St. Louis, MO, USA, pp. 441–491.,
- 41999 The histopathology of fibrous dysplasia of bone in patients with activating mutations of the Gs alpha gene: Site-specific patterns and recurrent histological hallmarks. J Pathol 187:249–258., , , , , ,
- 51936 Osteitis fibrosa cystica: The case of a nine-year-old girl who also exhibits precocious puberty, multiple pigmentation of the skin and hyperthyroidism. Am J Dis Child 52:743–744.
- 61937 Syndrome characterized by osteitis fibrosa disseminata, areas, of pigmentation, and endocrine dysfunction, with precocious puberty in females: Report of 5 cases. N Engl J Med 216:727–746., , ,
- 71986 McCune-Albright syndrome. Long-term follow-up. JAMA 256:2980–2984., ,
- 82001 Renal phosphate wasting in fibrous dysplasia of bone is part of a generalized renal tubular dysfunction similar to that seen in tumor-induced osteomalacia. J Bone Miner Res 16:806–813., , , , , , , ,
- 91987 The McCune-Albright syndrome. Ergeb Inn Med Kinderheilkd 55:81–115.,
- 102002 Characterization of gsp-mediated growth hormone excess in the context of McCune-Albright syndrome. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 87:5104–5112., , , , , , , , , ,
- 112002 Normal vision despite narrowing of the optic canal in fibrous dysplasia. N Engl J Med 347:1670–1676., , , , , , ,
- 122003 Osteomalacic and hyperparathyroid changes in fibrous dysplasia of bone: Core biopsy studies and clinical correlations. J Bone Miner Res 18:1235–1246., , , , , ,
- 132002 Orthopedic concerns in children with endocrine disorders. J Pediatr Orthop B 11:183–191., , ,
- 141999 The effect of thyroid hormone on skeletal integrity. Ann Intern Med 130:750–758.,
- 151991 Activating mutations of the stimulatory G protein in the McCune-Albright syndrome. N Engl J Med 325:1688–1695., , , , ,
- 161992 Identification of a mutation in the gene encoding the alpha subunit of the stimulatory G protein of adenylyl cyclase in McCune-Albright syndrome. Proc Natl Acad Sci USA 89:5152–5156., ,
- 171998 Reproduction of human fibrous dysplasia of bone in immunocompromised mice by transplanted mosaics of normal and Gsalpha-mutated skeletal progenitor cells. J Clin Invest 101:1737–1744., , , , ,
- 181962 The natural history of fibrous dysplasia. An orthopedic, pathological, and roentgenographic study. J Bone Joint Surg Am 44:207–233., ,
- 191977 Fibrous dysplasia. Orthop Clin North Am 8:771–783.,
- 201986 Fibrous dysplasia of the femoral neck. Treatment by cortical bone-grafting. J Bone Joint Surg Am 68:1415–1422.,
- 211998 Fibrous dysplasia of the proximal part of the femur. Long-term results of curettage and bone-grafting and mechanical realignment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 80:648–658., ,
- 222003 Natural history and treatment of fibrous dysplasia of bone: A multicenter clinicopathologic study promoted by the European Pediatric Orthopaedic Society. J Pediatr Orthop B 12:155–177., , , , , , , , , , , , ,
- 231942 Fibrous dysplasia of bone: A condition affecting one, several or many bones, graver cases of which may present abnormal pigmentation of skin, premature sexual development, hyperthyroidism or still other extraskeletal abnormalities. Arch Path 33:777–816.
- 241963 Fibrous dysplasia of bone. A review of 25 cases. Arch Pathol 75:480–495.
- 251988 Estrogen receptors in bone in a patient with polyostotic fibrous dysplasia (McCune-Albright syndrome). N Engl J Med 319:421–425., , , , ,
- 261997 Hyperthyroidism in McCune-Albright syndrome with a review of thyroid abnormalities sixty years after the first report. Thyroid 7:433–439., , ,
- 271998 Renal tubular reabsorption of phosphate (TmP/GFR): Indications and interpretation. Ann Clin Biochem 35:201–206.
- 281989 The effects of fixation on fracture-healing. J Bone Joint Surg Am 71:306–310., ,
- 291984 Osteogenesis imperfecta after the menopause. N Engl J Med 310:1694–1696., ,
- 301986 The McCune-Albright syndrome: A lethal gene surviving by mosaicism. Clin Genet 29:321–324.
- 312003 FGF-23 in fibrous dysplasia of bone and its relationship to renal phosphate wasting. J Clin Invest 112:683–692., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 322000 Mutations of the GNAS1 gene, stromal cell dysfunction, and osteomalacic changes in non-McCune-Albright fibrous dysplasia of bone. J Bone Miner Res 15:120–128., , , , , , , , , , ,
- 332002 Bone mineralization in polyostotic fibrous dysplasia: Histomorphometric analysis. J Bone Miner Res 17:1949–1953., , , ,
- 341996 Hypophosphatemic bone disease in McCune-Albright syndrome. Calcif Tissue Int 59:224.
- 351987 Fibrous dysplasia. An analysis of options for treatment. J Bone Joint Surg Am 69:400–409., , ,
- 362000 Vascularised bone grafting for fibrous dysplasia of the upper limb. J Bone Joint Surg Br 82:409–412., , , ,
- 372001 Fibrous dysplasia of bone: Management and outcome of 20 cases. J Surg Oncol 76:157–168., , , , ,
- 381970 Effects of calcitonin in Paget's disease and polyostotic fibrous dysplasia. J Clin Endocrinol Metab 31:283–290., ,
- 391988 Polyostotic fibrous dysplasia with contrasting responses to calcitonin and mithramycin: Aetiological and therapeutic implications. Ir J Med Sci 157:229–234., , ,
- 401994 Malignancies in fibrous dysplasia. Cancer 73:1411–1424., , ,
- 411994 Long-term effects of intravenous pamidronate in fibrous dysplasia of bone. Lancet 343:953–954., ,
- 421997 Long-term effects of intravenous pamidronate in fibrous dysplasia of bone. J Bone Miner Res 12:1746–1752., , ,
- 432000 Pamidronate treatment of bone fibrous dysplasia in nine children with McCune-Albright syndrome. Acta Paediatr 89:188–193., , , , ,
- 442001 Bisphosphonate therapy in fibrous dysplasia. Clin Orthop 382:6–12., , , , , , , ,
- 452002 Intramedullary rodding and bisphosphonate treatment of polyostotic fibrous dysplasia associated with the McCune-Albright syndrome. J Pediatr Orthop 22:255–260.,